Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What is your favorite developer book?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    gicio

What is your favorite developer book?

My is Code Complete 2:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735619670/qid=1122587470/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_sbs_1/102-7109784-8042542?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

What is your favorite?

regards,

gicio

• User profile image
    WiredCoder

Coding Slave by Bob Reselman

I don't buy computer books anymore... now I just ask gooooooogle

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

A classic and a must read in many undergrad curriculums:

Digital Design

• User profile image
    Manip

OS Design and Implementation; but ask me again tomorrow Smiley

• User profile image
    Steve411

Developer book, what's that? Wink

Steve.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I don't have Code Complete 2, I still use v1.  It's still the best book in my opinion.

I asked pretty much this question to a set of dev interviewees for my work recently.  Not one of them came up with an answer. It was all rather disappointing, really.

Dr Herbie

• User profile image
    bonk

Jeffrey Richer, the Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming in C# (Collection Edition)

This book is awsome, it gives a deeper and more comprehensive look under the hood of the .NET Framework than any other book (I know). This is is must for every serious .NET developer. It's quasi the CLR bible and a real eyeopener.

(plus the Collection Edition comes with fancy posters of the BCL (namesapces and type list)

Hm, if I where a famous person this text would be on the back of the book ... SmileyEDIT

• User profile image
    leedale

gicio wrote:
    What is your favorite developer book?

My is Code Complete 2:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735619670/qid=1122587470/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_sbs_1/102-7109784-8042542?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

What is your favorite?

regards,

gicio

thanks for the recommendation, just purchased this book look forward to reading it Smiley

ill add my fav book to thepost as well

Programming Visual Basic .Net 2003

Excellent concise book covering most aspects of VB.Net in good detail

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Mine woould definitely be the C# Programmer's Cookbook
    I just like the concept of these cookbooks. Have a problem? Find the solution! Wink

• User profile image
    nishanthsena

My Favorites

1. Practice of Programming
    2. Programming Pearls
    3. Deep C secrets
    4. K&R

• User profile image
    irascian

Dr Herbie wrote:
    I don't have Code Complete 2, I still use v1.  It's still the best book in my opinion.

Code Complete 2 is about twice the size of v1 and well worth purchasing in addition to the original v1.

Dr Herbie wrote:

I asked pretty much this question to a set of dev interviewees for my work recently.  Not one of them came up with an answer. It was all rather disappointing, really.

Sorry, but I think it's a terrible question. A developer works in many different areas, how on earth can he pick out "the best"? Which of the following would YOU pick as the best across all the different subject areas? It's like comparing apples and oranges - I can't do it!.....

For CSS I'd choose "The CSS Anthology: 101 Essential Tips and Tricks" by Rachel Andrew (SitePoint)

For DHTML I'd choose "Dynamic HTML The Definitive Reference" by Danny Goodman (O'Reilly)

For Accessibility I'd want "Constructing Accessible Web Sites"  (Various authors. Published by Glasshaus) 

For ASP.Net I'd pick "Essential ASP.Net" by Fritz Onion (Addison Wesley)

For server control development I'd pick "Developing ASP.NET Server Controls and Components" by Kothari and Datye (Microsoft Press)

FOr WinForms I'd pick "Windows Programming in C#" by Chris Sells (Addison Wesley)

For SQL Server I'd pick "The Guru's Guide to SQL Server Stored Procedures, XML and HTML" by Ken Henderson (Addison Wesley)

For IIS I'd pick "IIS 6.0 Resource Kit" (Microsoft Press)

For WIndows I'd pick "Windows Internals" by Mark Russinovich and David Solomon (Microsoft Press)

For C# standards I'd pick "Practical Guidelines and Best Practices for VB and Visual C# Developers" by Francesco Balena and Giuseppe Dimauro (Microsoft Press)

For Certification or a good overview of ASP.Net and WinForms I'd want the two MCAD/MCSD "Training Kit" books by Kalani (Que) on the list.

I'd also want to highlight the books others have already mentioned in this thread, like the C# Programmer's Cookbook or the Prosise book. Oh and Rocky Lhotka's "Expert C# Business Objects" published by Apress.

For managing software development I'd find it hard to choose between the aforementioned "Code Complete" (Microsoft Press) and Joel Spolsky's "Joel on Software" (Apress)

For UML I'd choose "Use Case Driven Object Modelling with UML" by Doug Rosenburg (Addison Wesley)

For Architecture I'd pick "Enterprise Patterns" by Martin Fowler (Addison Wesley) or "Refactoring" by the same author and publisher.

Choosing a "favourite book" from this excellent bunch is just not possible, and any developer (as opposed to "Code Monkey" working in a very narrow field with a single language) should find it similarly impossible.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

design patterns
    gang of 4
    DESIGN PATTERNS!!!!!Q!!!!!

• User profile image
    JScript

"RTFM for Dummies"... Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Pimp Daddy

I don't have one absolute favourite, but here's a list of the best ones I have:

C# - The Complete Reference
    The Visual Basic.NET Bible
    C++ - A Software Engineeering Approach
    Software Engineering - A Practitioner's Approach
    C# Tips and Techniques
    Computer Systems Architecture

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.