Coffeehouse Thread

98 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Register Totally Wrong about IE 7

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    scobleizer

There's a report, on the Register, that IE 7 doesn't work with the Google or Yahoo toolbars. I just talked with Dean Hachamovitch, the guy who runs the IE team, and he says that they tested with the Google and Yahoo toolbar and it was running on their machines (he just sent me screen captures of his personal machine running IE 7 with both the Google and Yahoo toolbar installed) and they in no way are trying to block the Google toolbar from working. He says that he commits to everyone to getting the toolbar to work and if there's something that isn't working the IE team wants to know about it so they can fix it.

This link, on Molly Holzschlag's blog (she's on the Web Standards Project) seems appropriate at this time: That's why it's called beta.

Dean also tells me that we have engineers working with Google to make sure that Google's stuff will work fine in IE 7 and Windows Vista.

It's interesting that many bloggers (both pro and amateur) have been giving me crud the past week or two for "being fast to publish" and "not calling sources to check on my reporting" but that the Register, a professional journalism outlet (they get paid for journalism, I do not) apparently didn't call our development teams to check into this report and get their side of the story. I wonder if Andrew Orlowski will link to my blog and correct his story because his report is HUGELY damaging here.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Just wanted to get that into the forums here so you will know the truth.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Funny how you are the only reply to your own thread in these forums, but by the time I post this there would most likely have been someone posting to this thread anyway so the above statement is most likely to be invalid.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up Scoble Smiley I haven't seen that on the register yet but I now know it is a bunch of bull Smiley

Somewhat like the rest of The Register is...
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    keeron

scobleizer wrote:
    Just wanted to get that into the forums here so you will know the truth.

Would it be nice if the IE team posted a "compatibility" list of known tools (like the Google and Yahoo toolbars, or some other frequent websites that have more than just HTML content)? - on their blog I mean.

Even better would be to point out things that do not work - that they know of - and if there's any work going on in that area... it would be nice for some of the folks who are keen to jump on the beta release as being like a early alpha build!

• User profile image
    jamie

i take the register with a grain of salt..

i do like the english accent talk of the articles - although there is alot of spelling issues many times

• User profile image
    basictheory

Speaking of stuff not working; Windows Update website wont work for me with IE 7

• User profile image
    scobleizer

I've been adding a lot more updates to the response here: http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2005/07/28.html#a10776

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

scobleizer wrote:

There's a report, on the Register, that IE 7 doesn't work with the Google or Yahoo toolbars. I just talked with Dean Hachamovitch, the guy who runs the IE team, and he says that they tested with the Google and Yahoo toolbar and it was running on their machines (he just sent me screen captures of his personal machine running IE 7 with both the Google and Yahoo toolbar installed) and they in no way are trying to block the Google toolbar from working. He says that he commits to everyone to getting the toolbar to work and if there's something that isn't working the IE team wants to know about it so they can fix it.

This link, on Molly Holzschlag's blog (she's on the Web Standards Project) seems appropriate at this time: That's why it's called beta.

Dean also tells me that we have engineers working with Google to make sure that Google's stuff will work fine in IE 7 and Windows Vista.

It's interesting that many bloggers (both pro and amateur) have been giving me crud the past week or two for "being fast to publish" and "not calling sources to check on my reporting" but that the Register, a professional journalism outlet (they get paid for journalism, I do not) apparently didn't call our development teams to check into this report and get their side of the story. I wonder if Andrew Orlowski will link to my blog and correct his story because his report is HUGELY damaging here.

A lot of people seem to be spreading FUD about Microsofts recently released beta products.  Its my opinion that they are just trying to steal some of Microsofts thunder.  Notice that its mostly Linux advocacy sites and Linux biased authors.

• User profile image
    Manip

Microsoft added Google as a default search engine for its search box, I think that alone breaks the register's story and it is very nice to see Microsoft playing fair. Even firefox doesn't have MSN as an option so you could argue that Microsoft are playing more fair than Mozilla?

• User profile image
    jamie

Manip wrote:
    Microsoft added Google as a default search engine for its search box, I think that alone breaks the register's story and it is very nice to see Microsoft playing fair. Even firefox doesn't have MSN as an option so you could argue that Microsoft are playing more fair than Mozilla?

i noticed that - and also the page FF has for different searches - like dictionary.com

so i went to see if i could add that to ie7 - nope

• User profile image
    Manip

How to add a new search scope - Manip's Guide

Alternatively Download my Dictionary.com Reg File here -> http://www.thelostsite.co.uk/DictionarySearch.zip

Open RegEdit
    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\
    Right Click - New Key - Called "Dictionary.com"
    Enter Key
    Right Click -> New -> String Value -> "DisplayName" -> Value -> "Dictionary.com"
    Right Click -> New -> String Value -> "URL" -> Value -> "http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=%s"
    Right Click -> New -> DWord Value -> "SortIndex" -> Value -> 5
    Close RegEdit

• User profile image
    wacko

got to it first Tongue Out but you can add just about anything in there and get rid of that crud like AOL or Askjeeves LOL and add MSDN or something like that. They should add a way to add searches through the UI Smiley

• User profile image
    Manip

They have named the registry keys so well and placed them exactly where you'd expect it is almost intuitive already. But yes, a GUI dialog to do it would be almost easy to do.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

The UI for Beta 1 is not the final UI.  I'm just saying ...

• User profile image
    Manip

Click File -> Open.

Why does this dialog exist? Why not just open a common dialog?

Try this also

Click File -> Open -> Select File -> Click OK

So you have selected the file, clicked ok in the common dialog but instead of opening the file it has placed it in the text box and you need to click ok again... What is the point in this behaviour? Why click 'Ok' -> 'Ok', it is just counter-intuitive. And this box has lived for way too long in my opinion. Go get the opinion on it from any of your GUI guys, I bet they tell you in not so many words that it sucks.

I know I know, this is not the final GUI, but just check that this is fixed in the final version.

• User profile image
    Oberon

scobleizer wrote:

They might get paid, but I wouldn't call their journalism "professional". Their news articles read more like op-ed pieces. Juvenile would be a better description.

I do like reading them occasionally though. They will report on stuff that other sites won't or don't.\

BTW, Robert, I find it interesting that you've spent the time to debunk a conspiracy theory by a website known to spend most of its time creating articles meant to make Microsoft look bad. Why do you care what the Register says? You do realize that the Register posts stuff like this all the time don't you?

What about all the legitimate criticism and complaints about IEs CSS support? Instead of wasting time responding to the Register, why not call up Dean Hachamovitch and get a quote from him regarding Microsoft's commitment to fully implementing web standards in IE? Unlike the Register, many web developers are willing to change their attitude about Microsoft if you guys can show that you are serious about web standards.Isn't Microsoft concerned about the awful reputation it has with web development community?

• User profile image
    Maurits

The Register is a rag.  They can't even spell "Mozilla".  There's only one reason to read the Register

• User profile image
    supersonic

there are 23 msnsearch  plugins for ff !

mycroft.mozdev.org/quick/msn.html

is that enough ?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.