Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

web site breaks with IE7

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    RobKeiser

When I tried to go to the webmessenger.msn.com web site the I got .NET errors with IE7 (the site works fine in Firefox). This is the second .NET site I've run into a problem with.

Has anyone else run into similar problems?

• User profile image
    Steve411

It's a beta, what do you expect? Wink

Nope. Haven't run into it. I won't use IE7, either. It's ugly and it probably sucks. Firefox rocks for now.
    Steve.

• User profile image
    RobKeiser

I was expecting it to crash, but I wasn't expecitng to get server side errors on sites.

• User profile image
    Steve411

RobKeiser wrote:
    I was expecting it to crash, but I wasn't expecitng to get server side errors on sites.

You'll get more than server side errors soon. It's IE for petes sake, it's going to get more screwed as the beta testing stage goes on.

Good luck with that beast.
    Steve.

• User profile image
    MSRoad​Warrior

I've noticed a few sites that act strange, or in some cases refuse to work saying "You need to have Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher".  Probably because of poorly written browser detection code as the USER_AGENT in IE 7 beta has been changed to "MSIE 7.0b" from "MSIE 6.0".  For those sites that aren't checking versions correctly, they might have problems.  Not sure about webmessenger though, but I noticed that the "Picture of the week" on the MSN home page that allow you to select "next" and "back" don't work any more in IE 7. 

It would be great if there was a way to modify the USER_AGENT setting on a site by site basis, to set it back to 6.0 for those sites that seem to choke on the new setting.

Update: I checked a few more links on the MSN home page and it seems there are more problems that I originally thought, doesn't seem you can get to messenger, hotmail, or my msn from the links on the home page.

• User profile image
    intelman

Steve411 wrote:
    It's a beta, what do you expect?

Nope. Haven't run into it. I won't use IE7, either. It's ugly and it probably sucks. Firefox rocks for now.
    Steve.

You aren't a very productive person, and you sound afraid of the world. In your mind IE us automatically evil...wel, shame for you. Firefox is a good choice do I guess, I use it, but I think IE's multithreaded tabs is a better implementation of tabs than Firefox's. Sometimes Firefox can appear to be slow, and feel so. Not to mention the memory usage....I will say this though, Firefox drastically changed the browsing world, it poked microsoft. Oh, and firefox has a download manager, shame that IE7 wont.

• User profile image
    Steve411

intelman wrote:
    Steve411 wrote:It's a beta, what do you expect?

Steve.

You aren't a very productive person, and you sound afraid of the world. In your mind IE us automatically evil...wel, shame for you. Firefox is a good choice do I guess, I use it, but I think IE's multithreaded tabs is a better implementation of tabs than Firefox's. Sometimes Firefox can appear to be slow, and feel so. Not to mention the memory usage....I will say this though, Firefox drastically changed the browsing world, it poked microsoft. Oh, and firefox has a download manager, shame that IE7 wont.

Nah, I'm pretty productive, and as for me being afraid of the world, I am not. IE7 is NOT evil, nor did i ever say so, I like IE, IE6 and back that is. IE7 in my mind is a few french fries short of a happy meal until they at least fix a few of the *OBVIOUS* bugs.

I haven't tested IE7 to see its "mutli-threaded tabs", but on the contrare firefox is very fast on this PC at times, depending on the number of tabs I open, 5 maximum if not less. I'm a "use one window and stick with it till you go crazy" type of guy.

I don't need and don't want tabs!
    Steve.

• User profile image
    LeighS

To modify the user_agent on a case by case basis (and many other things), You can download fiddler here: http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/

No tsomething I would want to do often for this activity but since you are using a beta version, it might be good to push beyond the browser detection script and see if there are other problems.

• User profile image
    Maurits

MSRoadWarrior wrote:
    It would be great if there was a way to modify the USER_AGENT setting on a site by site basis, to set it back to 6.0 for those sites that seem to choke on the new setting.

Talk about the tail wagging the dog...

Or we could try to get the webmasters to fix their sites.

Tech Support: Some of our customers are complaining that our site doesn't work in IE 7.

Web dev: Really?  According to our logs, only a tiny fraction of our customers use IE 7.  In fact, those that do use IE 7 switch to IE 6 after the first page view...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.