Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

IE7 features

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    athan

I'm really happy with IE7 tabby user interface. It's not as intuitive as I was expected but it's a good start. The problem with all IE versions, including IE7b1 is that it lacks some helpfull features like the following...

• A Find Next (F3) searching function. I always wondering why MS left this out, it's a must. (BTW I woudn't mind if they implement something like "Find And Highlight All" Smiley )
    • Option to "Always open IE windows maximized". I'm sure most know exactly what I mean Smiley
    • Favorites submenu in IE context menu. It could be also located in IE7 tab context menu too.
    • View source should save page as a temp file with an extension. Currently it only saves page without an extension thus making very difficult to highlight html code in a third party editor.
    • More keyboard shortcuts for IE functions.
    • A cookies manager. "Delete Browsing History" is a nice feature but deleting all cookies isn't the best practice.
    • IE7 specific: CTRL-TAB currently cycles opened tabs. I think that an Opera-like switching between current and previous tab is much more preferable.
    • IE7 specific: An option to open all URLs in the same IE instance (a new tab maybe) instead opening a new window.

Almost all the above features are very easy to be implemented and already exist in any descent browser. Any hope to see some of them in 7.0 final?

• User profile image
    Tommy4

I also miss the refresh button.

• User profile image
    athan

Tommy4 wrote:

At least there is the F5 and CTRL-F5 key. BTW what is the key for refresh all tabs?

• User profile image
    irascian

Tommy4 wrote:

I made the mistake of complaining about this yesterday - not realising it had simply moved away from the other icons and changed a little bit.

It's at the end of the URL address bar and even has a tooltip that tells you precisely what it's refreshing.

The ugly page title thing that looks like an input text box makes a lot more sense once you've turned tabbed browsing on too.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Tommy4 wrote:

It's at the end of the address bar (except when the page is loading; then it is a stop button).

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Gestures would be nice.

• User profile image
    troysig

Also, an "Open in Tabs" option for folders in Favorites.  I use this all the time and it's the only reason I still use Firefox.

• User profile image
    Tommy4

irascian wrote:

Tommy4 wrote: I also miss the refresh button.

I made the mistake of complaining about this yesterday - not realising it had simply moved away from the other icons and changed a little bit.

It's at the end of the URL address bar and even has a tooltip that tells you precisely what it's refreshing.

The ugly page title thing that looks like an input text box makes a lot more sense once you've turned tabbed browsing on too.

Thanks that was the answer.  by the way who did you complain to and how.  I am having a heck of a time with the newsgroups. 

• User profile image
    bonk

There is no new code for html/css parsing and rendering in that IE beta is there? It still makes the same mistakes.

• User profile image
    irascian

Tommy4 wrote:
     by the way who did you complain to and how.  I am having a heck of a time with the newsgroups. 

Oh I just complained about it on a thread here.

People soon put me to rights Wink

• User profile image
    buggy123

sakisp wrote:

BTW what is the key for refresh all tabs?

Yeah, I can't find it anywhere, including the help documentation inside of IE7 RTM.

What sort of monkey f***ers decided to add "Refresh All" to the righ-click context menu on the tabs, and Quick tabs, and yet, don't offer it as a keyboard shortcut?!!

Terribly inefficient...if you're programming against several web pages for example. It almost makes one think the IE7 developers are mouse junkies.

• User profile image
    PetKnep

buggy123 wrote:

sakisp wrote:

BTW what is the key for refresh all tabs?

Yeah, I can't find it anywhere, including the help documentation inside of IE7 RTM.

What sort of monkey f***ers decided to add "Refresh All" to the righ-click context menu on the tabs, and Quick tabs, and yet, don't offer it as a keyboard shortcut?!!

Terribly inefficient...if you're programming against several web pages for example. It almost makes one think the IE7 developers are mouse junkies.

The problem with keyboard shortcuts is that they last forever once established and there's a limited number of possibilities. Changing an established shortcut on a program that's widely used as IE can be very difficult. So we have to be careful about what gets a shortcut and which key it gets, cowboying global accelerators is discouraged.

That said, I don't think we have a key for Refresh All tabs. It should probably be something like Ctrl+Shift+F5. I'll bring this up next time we discuss kb shortcuts.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.