Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

I am fragile

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Sathyaish Chakravarthy

Certain incidents turn a marrow somewhere deep inside you. I've just met with one of those only a few lapses awhile back.

Forever and a million moments, I have cherished dearly, a dream - I will work for Microsoft. My girlfriend, she pledged a bait with the fulfilment of my pie-in-the-sky. My mom, I relate to her, with much exaggeration, the fruit of material attainment that is bestowed on those who are able to see their way through the keepers. With every passing moment, my resolution to join the best of brains in the industry grows even stronger, and my imagination wilder. I treat my senses with the galore of wealth and talent that Microsoft rears. There has been no end to my dreaming, and today, Microsoft to me is like the coveted maiden that I want to possess. The one that I would not bear being unpossessed. The one I wouldn't stand for anything, being stolen possession of by another.

The morning was fresh and oblivious, a moment ago, till I was interrupted by a colleague who muttered into my ears, "I must leave now. Would you like to have tea with me so we could talk?". I was startled. He led me through the corridoor to our canteen hall where we helped ourselves with a cup each. He broke news to me that he had put in his resignation. I was really happy for him. Of curiosity, I asked, "So, where to?".

"Microsoft, Hyderabad!"

I was stabbed!

The virtuous bonhomie for my friend that I was subject to a while ago melted down to an emberous pile of dejection, jealousy and wounded pride. Inside me, I was blubbering loud at the cruelty of fate. I was bleeding tears. What followed was a forty minute nurrative of every little detail he could salvage of his memory, about the four month long interview process. It was difficult for me to cope, swallowing the hiatus in my breath and taking pauses with every few breaths. I wasn't at ease with myself and my respiratory rythm couldn't find its equilibrium. "How could someone else I know join Microsoft when I have been dreaming about it since Adam? How could someone steal away from me that which was destined to be mine? How could someone else get the fruit of my labour? I've been at work. What about me, O lord? What about me?"

I am fragile. I have been bruised.

• Spar

oookaayy.... Goals are good... obsessions?? 

• gmiley

I felt the same way when my neighbor got the Black Voltron Lion before I did. =/

I totally understand where you're coming from and I feel for you. Just remember to get back up on that horse buck-o and you too will one day get your Black Voltron Lion.

• Sathyaish Chakravarthy

Obsession or whatever, I am determined. Thanks for the encouragement, gmiley.

• jamie

Not I me known to think hence as in <br/>the most combobulated writing seen thus far
    best of luck to thee

• bitmask

Sathyaish Chakravarthy wrote:
    The morning was fresh and oblivious, a moment ago, till I was interrupted by a colleague who muttered into my ears, "I must leave now. Would you like to have tea with me so we could talk?".

Now see, this is exactly why I turn down co-workers and managers who say things like "let's step outside the building for a moment" or "let's talk a walk down the hallway past the offices where everyone was laid off last month".

Call me an ostrich with my head in the sand, but at least I am not "blubbering loud at the cruelty of fate".

Best of luck Sathyaish, I hope one day you posses your maiden.

• Sathyaish Chakravarthy

Jamie, I beseech thee with folded hands, a humble supplication; renderest to mine ears the mystery of thine own words, O' mate, deliver to mine wandering mind the words thou spakest, wert in glory or in shame. Until thou givest my prying senses, and my pittance of intellect, the meaning of combobulated, desire burns me without rest.

• Sathyaish Chakravarthy

bitmask, are you implying that you're between jobs? Or you're just excessively paranoid about getting fired? Thanks for the good wishes.

• amotif

jamie wrote:
    Not I me known to think hence as in <br/>the most combobulated writing seen thus far best of luck to thee

jamie, as I lay writhing on the floor, short of breath and belly heaving, know that it is you who have slain me.

Sathyaish, I've heard Microsoft hires real human beings--you know, the fallible, don't know everything there is to know, sometimes need help, sometimes look you in the eye with a strange look type.  Okay, that's just a rumor I heard, but I'd hate for you to find your dreams come true only to walk through the golden gates and find, well, anybody short of superhuman.  But I'm strangely compelled to learn of your reaction when you do reach those exhalted halls.  Have you--and I apologize for asking such a sophomoric question--have you applied yet, sent your cv, etc? Smiley

A journey of a thousand miles begins with... oh, I forget.

Curt

• Sathyaish Chakravarthy

amotif, I haven't applied because I am writing my resume for Microsoft. I started yesterday, and I believe it will be another 3 or 4 days till before I am finished with it. And that's when I'll send it to their career website, email it to the HR department, shoot a copy to Microsoft Hyderabad and also mail one to the Microsoft International Careers site. In order of preference, I'd love to work at Redmond, and if it doesn't work out, I'd be happy to settle for Hyderabad. If neither of them, then any other country where they have an office. And once I am there, I'm going to set a precedent for aspirants like myself. I am going to write a private journal detailing every experience I have working there - from the chirping of birds perched on trees outside the campus windows to rite-of-passage kinds. Heck, even the wallpaper on my desktop features a campus building with a lawn outside. And lemme guess, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with...the first step?" PS: How do you format your messages here?

• jamie

in ENGLISH!  Wink

* you must adimit - your first post was a bit hard to read!

• Sathyaish Chakravarthy

You're not alone when you say my writing is rhetorical. http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=149366&ixReplies=46 I don't quite like the way I write myself. Sometimes, it's just a mess.

• bitmask

I've worked with startup companies for the last 7 years. Everyday that I get to the office and the furniture isn't being loaded into a truck with the label "Smith's Auction House" on the side is a day to smile.

• Sathyaish Chakravarthy

LOL!

• Knute

bitmask wrote:
    I've worked with startup companies for the last 7 years. Everyday that I get to the office and the furniture isn't being loaded into a truck with the label "Smith's Auction House" on the side is a day to smile.

My favorite is when they call you into a meeting at the office and say "Bring your laptop" and when you ask what it's about they just blandly reply "Bring your laptop".

~ Knute

• Sathyaish Chakravarthy

He wasn't really a _friend_, just a colleague, and dare I say, a difficult one. I was unhappy because I was the one always stomping and bowling with MSFT stories that I read on the web. http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=116513 I filled him up with how good it is, and then he got it and I didn't, at least not just yet. It was as if someone just told me, "I've just f***ed your wife and come. It was great!" Thanks for the kind word on the writing. BTW, I am really worked up now. How do I format my posts? The HTML tags don't work. What's the secret?

• Steve411

You're not alone when you say my writing is rhetorical. http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=149366&ixReplies=46 I don't quite like the way I write myself. Sometimes, it's just a mess.

Your writing I must say is very good, very easy to read as well.. Well, for me.. Sounds as if you really payed attention at school. Smiley But on a serious note, it's Ok, the writing that is, very intellectual..
      /Steve

Got some good intellectual pursuits.. 

Good luck with the resume, but I do not understand why you were "heart broken" so to speak, when you heard your friend say that he will work at Microsoft. Personally I think that, that is a great thing, after all, you two might get to work together, if you try your best.

Microsoft does not want people that know EVERYTHING!
    they want people that know a bit, and can learn in the process of working for them. If you pay attention, and learn more about MS, you will know alot of the expectations that they want... I don't remember them wanting einstein in their company, do you?

• Steve411

He wasn't really a _friend_, just a colleague, and dare I say, a difficult one. I was unhappy because I was the one always stomping and bowling with MSFT stories that I read on the web. http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=116513 I filled him up with how good it is, and then he got it and I didn't, at least not just yet. It was as if someone just told me, "I've just f***ed your wife and come. It was great!" Thanks for the kind word on the writing. BTW, I am really worked up now. How do I format my posts? The HTML tags don't work. What's the secret?

Well, to me it seems as if you are in LOVE with Microsoft lol, Just take it easy and do not freak out if you do not get the job, hopefully you will though.
     If you don't though, keep on trying, studdy further and further, and go for it once more, or, try to go to the redmond campus, and submit the application your self, as well as the resume its self.

Microsoft does not want people that know EVERYTHING!
    they want people that know a bit, and can learn in the process of working for them. If you pay attention, and learn more about MS, you will know alot of the expectations that they want... I don't remember them wanting einstein in their company, do you?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.