Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Windows Vista and screen resolution problem

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    tobias

After installing Vista on my laptop I was amazed that everything worked! Unfortunately I can only have a screen resolution of 800x600...
    I am running an IBM T41p with an ATI FireGL T2 and the alpha drivers from ATI but I am not able to change to a higher resolution even though my screen supports 1400x1024.

Anybody else has the same issue??

• User profile image
    RandyRants

I don't have a solution as I haven't installed Vista yet, but I thought you'd want to know you run at 1400x1050 (rather than 1024)... I have a T41 and dig the SVGA+ - or whatever it's called this go around - and can't live without it.

• User profile image
    Simo

tobias wrote:

Anybody else has the same issue??

Maybe... is the adapter being used actualy 'VgaSave' rather than the driver for your chipset?

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=94170

• User profile image
    tobias

No, it says FireGL T2 driver..

Of, course it is 1400x1050 Smiley I was at work and didn't remember correctly!

• User profile image
    tobias

Here a screenshot.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Has ATI released vista specific drivers for that card? (to support a higher resolution, that is)..

Steve.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Steve411 wrote:
    Has ATI released vista specific drivers for that card? (to support a higher resolution, that is)..

Steve.

Or is the monitor reporting it can go higher?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Would myself (Using Nvidia) be able to say that since it is alpha it might be the highest resolution your gonna get? I dunno...I would say contact ATI...

• User profile image
    tobias

Steve411 wrote:

CATALYST Beta Driver 1 for Windows Vista beta 1 (code name Longhorn)

ATI is one of the first graphic providers to make a 64-bit driver that supports the Longhorn Display Driver Model (LDDM) – the Microsoft Vista revolutionary graphic driver standard – as well as the first to provide LDDM drivers for integrated graphics processors. By making LDDM drivers available more than a full year prior to Windows Vista release, ATI provides developers with a stable, feature-enabled and performance-optimized platform for application development. ATI is also the first to provide Catalyst Windows Vista driver feedback via our Catalyst™ Crew Feedback program.

Instructions: Product series supported:
    • Radeon 9500, 9550, 9600, 9650, 9700, 9800, X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
    • FireGL X1, X2, X3, Z1, T2, V3100, V3200, V5000, V5100, V7100
    • FireMV 2200
    • Mobility Radeon 9550, 9600, 9700, 9800, X300, X600, X700, X800
    • Mobility FireGL V3100, V3200, V5000, V5100
    • Radeon Xpress 200, 2000
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=19933

• User profile image
    l0ckergn0me

I'm having the SAME problem! If you come up with a resolution, let me know - and vice versa! Smiley

http://chris.pirillo.com/blog/_archives/2005/9/16/1233322.html

• User profile image
    Manip

Try removing the plug and play monitor from control panel and restarting.

• User profile image
    l0ckergn0me

No go. I've tried everything - including downloading the INFs directly from IBM's site. Even after all that, instead of kicking me up to where I set the slider - it knocks me down to 640x480!

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I had a similar problem last night with my Nvidia 5200...the drivers from Nvidia didn't work but the ones from TweakVista did...

http://tweakvista.com/article38601.aspx

That is the ATI page. Let me know if that helps.

• User profile image
    l0ckergn0me

Nope. Vista won't even install those drivers for me.

• User profile image
    tobias

Okay, thanks to Chris, the problem is solved! Here is a how-to:

So the resolution issue is a little challenging, but not impossible to work-around. The issue has actually been fixed in newer builds of Windows Vista, but until we have one that's broadly available for you to use, you can try the following steps (a little convoluted, but should get you going).

1) Run regedit
    2) Locate HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\(XYZ)\0001, where
    (XYZ) is a GUID with a whole bunch of keys under it (look for
    DALRULE_GETLCDFAKEEDID).
    3) Change the value with DALRULE_GETLCDFAKEEDID to 0.
    4) Reboot.

• User profile image
    l0ckergn0me

Tobias and I are the T41p tag team.

• User profile image
    tobias

Anybody else cares to join? Wink
    Seriously, who else uses a IBM T41p with Vista?? Probably not more than 20 people worldwide....

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

l0ckergn0me wrote:
    I'm having the SAME problem! If you come up with a resolution, let me know - and vice versa!

http://chris.pirillo.com/blog/_archives/2005/9/16/1233322.html

I don't know if it works, but it's worth a try....

Bring up the display CPL, click on Settings, then the "Advanced..." button.

On the "Monitors" tab, clear the "Only display resolutions my monitor supports" and set the refresh frequency to something other than 60Hz (say 85Hz).

Now go back to the settings page.  It might unlock the higher resolution options.

That's what I did to get higher than 1Kx768 on my test machine this afternoon (I just figured it out), ymmv.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.