Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Congratulations on WM9's manadatory status for HD-DVD

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040611_123607.html

Congratulations guys, I've been waiting for this day. Now maybe I can get some Windows Media based DVDs that have movies that I want...

• User profile image
    jamie

Win Media - the good:

When i want to publish to web or make a home video for computer.. win media rocks - so long as i work off (large) avi files as masters

Win Media - the bad

When ever i download a winmedia file - and try to open it in premiere / vegas what have you... it doesnt come in like an avi or mpeg - usually not opening - or only coming in as a one frame movie = NO editing / frames

* i admit i have not waded into the monolith that is winmedia documentation ( ie; whats the URL to a functioning tuner you can edit and download off msdn?)

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Have you ever considered the possiblity that the software lacks support for WM9? Try downloading the WM9 VCM. That might help.

• User profile image
    jamie

both premiere and vegas have the win media plugin install - wehn you instal the ap - you can output to it no prob.

all im saying is when you come in contact with an EXISTING asf / wma etc - it is usually USELESS

so...
    keep your avi's as masters
    or use mpeg
    editable - redistributable - just plain better

win media is TOO CLOSED

• User profile image
    lars

It's always easy to convert to windows media formats. And a pain to convert from them. Guess Microsoft wants it that way so they can get some really tasty DRM going with it. Maybe WM have some good technology and codecs nowadays. But as long as their codecs can't play nice with third party apps like so many others (DivX, MPEG2 etc) I don't bother with WM.

And before you mention Quicktime and Real; I think they are even worse.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

lars wrote:

It's always easy to convert to windows media formats. And a pain to convert from them. Guess Microsoft wants it that way so they can get some really tasty DRM going with it. Maybe WM have some good technology and codecs nowadays. But as long as their codecs can't play nice with third party apps like so many others (DivX, MPEG2 etc) I don't bother with WM.

And before you mention Quicktime and Real; I think they are even worse.

/Lars.

I find it easy to convert from and to Windows Media. I use third party applications such as Virtual Dub. My only issue is that I can't convert audio in avi files to WMA, I can only convert to WMV using the WM9 VCM that Microsoft released.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.