Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows XP misreporting hard disk space

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

I thought I'd ask here since the MS Knowledge database doesn't have anything regarding this thread's subject.

Windows XP states that 9.24 GB is used (114MB free) while the contents of C:\ are reported as 7.40 GB used. My paging file is 384MB (this is my laptop) and the recycling bin is empty. I've done mantaince with every maintaince tool I have (Disk Cleanup, Window Washer, etc) Any ideas on where the 1.84GB went and how I can get at least some of it back?

• User profile image
    Manip

To 'see' this data do this:

My Computer > Folder Options > 'View' > un-tick 'Hide Protected Operating System Files' > Apply > Ok to warning

C:\ > 'System Volume Information' > Properties > Security > Add > Advanced > Find Now > Administrators > Ok > Allow 'Full Control' > Open 'System Volume Information'

To clear the data (Windows Recovery):

Control Panel > System > System Restore > tick 'Turn off system restore for all drives' > Apply > un-tick 'Turn off system restore for all drives' > Apply
    [Tick Apply unTick Apply]

Warning - This will remove all your restore points, I suggest you make a new one after doing this!

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Manip wrote:
    To 'see' this data do this:

My Computer > Folder Options > 'View' > un-tick 'Hide Protected Operating System Files' > Apply > Ok to warning

C:\ > 'System Volume Information' > Properties > Security > Add > Advanced > Find Now > Administrators > Ok > Allow 'Full Control' > Open 'System Volume Information'

To clear the data (Windows Recovery):

Control Panel > System > System Restore > tick 'Turn off system restore for all drives' > Apply > un-tick 'Turn off system restore for all drives' > Apply
    [Tick Apply unTick Apply]

Warning - This will remove all your restore points, I suggest you make a new one after doing this!

Oh, I forgot about that. I recall clearing the restore points a few weeks ago (when I first ran into space problems). I guess I'll just delete some of the music I copied from my CDs...

• User profile image
    jonathanh

A compromise solution is to leave restore points turned on, but reduce the maximum amount of disk space they can occupy.  Go to System > System Restore > Settings, and then adjust the slider.  On this laptop setting it to 3% of disk space equates to 829 MB, which is typically enough to hold a week's worth of restore points.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

jonathanh wrote:

A compromise solution is to leave restore points turned on, but reduce the maximum amount of disk space they can occupy.  Go to System > System Restore > Settings, and then adjust the slider.  On this laptop setting it to 3% of disk space equates to 829 MB, which is typically enough to hold a week's worth of restore points.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll reduce the paging file size to 192MB as well. I don't use more than 448MB of RAM on my laptop anyway.

Edit: By the way, as strange as this might sound, Windows is now reporting 1.45GB of space free. I haven't done much of anything since I last checked the drive's free space either.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.