Coffeehouse Thread

77 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

So Vista users, have you found a compelling reason to upgrade?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Not from a developer standpoint, but from an end user standpoint.

I'll be honest, I can't see one. Sure you could wave security around, but how many end users actually care?

• User profile image
    Steve411

Orbit86 wrote:
    the new flashy windows will make alot of people switch..but I don't even know what new features Vista has...

All I hear are Security features and those arent features..those are Band-Aid to holes

Finally someone who can tell the truth! That's exactly what vista is, a patch for XP due to the amount of holes found in its so called "robust security".

Steve.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Guys, it's the first beta - give them a chance, do you really expect them to get everything into the first beta*?

* Although I thought by definition beta was feature complete ..

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I'm gonna have to wait for Beta 2 before I can really answer that.

There isn't enough for me in Beta 1, but I did not and no one should have expected otherwise.

I am kind of worried about where some of the interface design is going (not superficial stuff like colors and special effects, but changes in control layout and behavior in Windows and Internet Explorer).

I really like the new "All Programs" menu.

• User profile image
    Santosha

Does anyone here remember Whistler (XP) Beta 1? I do.
    So, in order to be really "honest", I suggest to hold our judgments about Vista user features until Beta 2.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Windows never sold Windows.

Office sold Windows at the workplace.  Games sold Windows at home.

Windows Vista is what will be pre-installed on the new Intel/AMD-based PCs sold world-wide in 2006 (2007?) and later.  Not Linux.

It's that simple.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

blowdart wrote:
    Not from a developer standpoint, but from an end user standpoint.

I'll be honest, I can't see one. Sure you could wave security around, but how many end users actually care?

Absolutely.  It was checked in by my team two weeks ago, and should hit the main windows tree by the end of the month.

That one feature is reason enough to upgrade, IMHO.

But you won't see it until Beta2 - that's because Beta1 was about foundation, Beta2 was about functionality.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

LarryOsterman wrote:
    blowdart wrote: Not from a developer standpoint, but from an end user standpoint.

Absolutely.  It was checked in by my team two weeks ago, and should hit the main windows tree by the end of the month.

But you won't see it until Beta2 - that's because Beta1 was about foundation, Beta2 was about functionality.

... security == functionality? Did you quote the right post?

• User profile image
    Tetrachroma​tic

How many times has Microsoft used the "we'll show you in the next version" line and had it fizzle away miserably. More times than I can count. If Beta 1 was a foundation, good work. You managed to lay down a third-rate Tiger clone. So, C9 dudes, care to explain why my next Windows purchase has a purposefully gimped OpenGL implementation? Or will I find in the next episo --- err, Beta 3.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Tetrachromatic wrote:
    How many times has Microsoft used the "we'll show you in the next version" line and had it fizzle away miserably. More times than I can count. If Beta 1 was a foundation, good work. You managed to lay down a third-rate Tiger clone. So, C9 dudes, care to explain why my next Windows purchase has a purposefully gimped OpenGL implementation? Or will I find in the next episo --- err, Beta 3.

Can we do a WhoIs on this guy or something to confirm he came straight from /.?

• User profile image
    blowdart

LarryOsterman wrote:

That's a reason for people who understand about security to upgrade. I love the idea of IE running under really locked privs. But that won't sell it to my mother. How many end users understand security?

Sure, you could market it as "It'll stop spyware", but that leaves you open to

a) Well why were you so open in the first place?
    b) We've heard that before, again and again and again. Why should we believe you this time?

Of course when it arrives I'll use it as an excuse to upgrade the laptop, because I doubt my GeForce Go5200 will cope with anything aero wants to push at it.

Maybe by that time Toshiba will allow UK users to have the same choice as US users on tablet PCs, as opposed to giving us one very unspecificed SKU.

• User profile image
    Tetrachroma​tic

>> "omg, why do you name everyone a slashdot user if they are against Microsoft" It's the easy way out, something that every Microsoft developer should be familiar with. Hyuck. Seriously, though, I just love watching the sissies squirm when they get called out. It's not my fault that Beta 1 (GPU'd GUI and Virtual Folders. Hmmm, they seem oddly familiar) is trash and that the company you work for has a storied history of empty promises caulked in with marketing hype. Also, who was responsible for the Beta 1 theme? You should have that dude publically flogged. I know blind 13 year olds on DeviantArt who whip up better themes. Speaking of themes, are you going to force us to hack the uxtheme.dll again to use non-Plus! themes or are you going to continue whoring out that piece of (I need to watch my fscking language) software again in Vista. Plus!? More like Minus. >> "How many end users understand security?" Every OSX user. Turn it on, type a password and that's it. If you don't do anything that touches the core components, you're never prompted for a password ever again. Do anything that requires special permissions, and you need an admin-level password. Root accounts are disabled by default. You know, I always thought Microsoft was dumb as wood for eschewing a Unix-like permissions systems for the discombobulated mess they have now.

• User profile image
    BenZila

Hehe that's funny, talking about "locking in" and then turn around and talk about macs like they dont lock you in.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Rossj wrote:

* Although I thought by definition beta was feature complete ..

I'm not sure who started that rumour...

Alpha = internal code only, very very buggy.

Beta = code released to testers, very buggy

Release Candidate = feature frozen release, buggy

• User profile image
    BenZila

What? You've just side stepped what I said and completly garbled it.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Tetrachromatic wrote:
    You know, I always thought Microsoft was dumb as wood for eschewing a Unix-like permissions systems for the discombobulated mess they have now.

Yes, really stupid. You'd never find Mac OS X or Linux adopting the ACL method, would you...

If you're going to be a zealot, at least try and stay on message - otherwise you just look dumb.

• User profile image
    blowdart

BenZila wrote:
    What? You've just side stepped what I said and completly garbled it.

I think he has a Jim Bean IV, nothing else could explain the utter incoherancy of every post he makes.

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

Some replies to this topic are purely garbage...think about it, guys.

C9 is the place that is supposed to be visited by the majority of the pro-MS people...so don't wonder why there are people defending MS or hunting /. "readers".

And for the Virtual Folders (that were mentioned as familiar by one (obvious) anti-MS user): someone had already mentioned that the Virtual Folders feature had been discussed by MS a year before Apple even said they are about to implement it in their OS...again, think about it.

I hope we all want a constructive discussion and many of us are not interested in that silly MS bashing.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.