Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

SyncToy and .NET

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TomasDeml

Hi!

Do you know about the utility from MS called SyncToy?

And guess what? It's managed! It's compiled against .NET FW 1.1.

First swallow...

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Well, I downloaded it at work and the concept seems cool, but I didn't get much chance to play with it.

I'm at home now and the windows validation tool doesn't seem to work tonight Sad

Edit: nevermind, seems the tool was just taking a long, long time to download.

• User profile image
    MotoWilliams

If you think that is cool you should check out the real deal ... http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse.html

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I use another sync utility, but its nice to see MS using the .NET Framework for development.  Now lets hope they start using it more.

• User profile image
    RWeigelt

I tried it, and the moment it started I could guess that it was a .NET app because of the way the window was drawn.

Fortunately .NET 2.0 is much faster. After playing around with VS2k5 and WinForms, I'm impressed by the improvements. I'd say that with 2.0 we've (finally!) reached the point where most .NET apps "feel" like a "real" Win32 app, not an old  Java app.

• User profile image
    eddwo

I was disappointed with it. The only thing you can do is set up pairs of folders to synchronise. You have to manualy use Task Scheduler if you want it to do it regularly, and I thought it would be one of those programs that sit in the background and automatically back up any file in a folder whenever it is modified.

Sure it looks nice, and the different sync modes are quite well explained, but it doesn't actually do very much.

• User profile image
    Mollyfud

IF you want Auto Syncing, checkout my review of Allway Sync at:
    http://mollyzine-podcasting.blogspot.com/2005/08/allway-sync-perfect-sync-tool-for.html

TIA
    Molly

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.