Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

need some help here

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sora8

hi guys! i'm kinda new here. here's my question: what is tehj best way to fight spams and pop-up ads. we've been receiving a lot of complaints regarding this dynamic duo and it seems that they don't go away easily. any help will be appreciated. tnx c",)

• User profile image
    gmiley

Well as far as the pop-ups go, you might want to contact a developer of one of those pop-up blocker programs and ask if you can offer it out to your customers.

For the spam, well it all depends upon your MX server. You'll want to install rules that look for and filter out messages based on regular expressions and/or other methods. You can write your own, but that would be re-inventing the wheel just do some looking around with google or somthing.

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

As far as spam.. http://www.mail-abuse.com/ MAPS is an awesome way to plug in your server to domain checking and origin checking of email for spam.. they have numerous different paid services in which you can select different blackholes of IPs/domains in which have been recorded as spam..

Pop-ups - Google Toolbar.. what is better than the worlds best search engine + popup blocking.. FREE with an opt-out privacy setting..

Jake

• User profile image
    sora8

Just curious though ----- is Microsoft doing anything about this spywares and pop-up ads?

I mean, let's face it. Most users have Windows on their machine and you kinda think that Microsoft is just playing blind to what is happening.

Ahh....i'm being too sentimental.....sheesh.... 

• User profile image
    gmiley

You could always disable javascript.

• User profile image
    FrankCarr

Here are my recommended steps for avoiding IE scumware hijacks:

1. In Internet Explorer go to the Internet Options|Security tab and set security in your restricted zone to not run any scripts, do any downloads, refuse all cookies, etc. Essentially allow nothing except rendering of HTML in this zone.

2. Download and install IESPYAD. This will put the scumware sites' addresses into your IE Restricted Zone where they can't sneak up on you and do drive-by installs.

3. Download and install a HOSTS file that specifically targets and re-routes scumware sites to a loopback address where they'll never even be contacted by your computer. This step protects you at a system level so it will be effective with any browser you decide to use.

4. Download, install, and run Spyware Blaster to block the installation of any ActiveX objects that will hijack IE.

5. Use a software firewall to prevent unauthorized programs from using your computer. I recommend Zone Alarm, Kerio, or Sygate

6. Consider using an alternative browser such as Mozilla Firefox, particularly if you make a habit of visiting certain kinds of sites (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more).

7. Don't use Kazza or any other public P2P system. If you have it installed you will be continually be reinfected by scumware that exploit security holes and you'll be subject to sending and receiving viruses and other scumware that frequent such networks. On private sharing networks, still be careful about what you allow onto your system and execute there.

8. Download and run Adaware regularly to insure that your system remains scumware free.

9. Carefully read the EULA of any software you're thinking about installing to make sure it doesn't list any spyware as part of it. This isn't a 100% surefire thing since some install without even mentioning it but you would be surprised how many 'free' programs have this clearly listed although buried in the text most people click-thru.

10. Keep up to date on your anti-virus software and the anti-scumware software and files mentioned above. It's an ongoing battle to stay one step ahead of the scum. 

• User profile image
    Homer

Good advice Frank.  Anyone see the irony that "users" would like MS to provide more functionality in the OS (ie AV, antispam, popup blockers), but often when they try to add new features or functionality, the governemnt sues them for anti-trust violations.  Sometimes it's a fine line...sometimes they probably feel like there's not enough profit in it to justify the investment...esp if other vendors are providing the funtionality in their own products.  Just a thought.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

All the major search engines (Google, Yahoo, MSN) offer downloadable toolbars that include pop-up blocking.  Plus it's been integrated into the new version of IE6 that ships in XP SP2, together with a lot more protection against spyware (and the second release candidate of SP2 just hit the windows update site - I'm running it on all my machines).

As gmiley said, for spam filtering a lot depends on who your mail provider is, but you can also use a smart client that uses classification techniques to mark spam.  Outlook 2003, Hotmail, and Exchange 2003 (with the free IMF feature) now all share this technology.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.