Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why did I get a Rio Carbon instead of an iPod

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Read on here

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Orbit86 wrote:
    plus Ipods are better, I don't own one because I don't need one but Ipods are better

Say what?

I just....

Say what?

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Orbit86 wrote:
    you forgot..I don't need one..

and the language is English

First, who is advertising what.  I got questioned when i posted another topic last night on why did I buy a Rio Carbon, I wrote my thoughts on it.  Plain and simple, if you dont want to know why I think the Rio Carbon is better than dont read the post.  BTW, I left out it was cheaper than the iPod mini, costing only $169.00

• User profile image
    Manip

Why did I get a Rio Carbon instead of an iPod?

Because you have no taste? Also I refuse to click blog links so if anyone wants to post his comments (however misguided they are) feel free.

• User profile image
    eagle

My PocketPC is way better then an iPod anyday, it can play music and so much more.

• User profile image
    TimP

Orbit86 wrote:
    Cheaper is not better..look at Made in China

My friend bought an iPod Mini right after they came out but it got backordered. He tracked the package and guess where it was...China!

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Then I imagine you suffer a horrible horrible life.

• User profile image
    keeron

Orbit86 wrote:
    hmm, thank you for telling me, I don't like to buy stuff thats outsourced..

So I guess you eat in paper plates at home, write using chalk (Made in USA only), and take the bus to work?

Life sure is fun around there!

• User profile image
    dentaku

If I was in the market for an MP3 player I'd probably go for the Creative ZEN Micro. Ever since they updated the firmware to let you just drag and drop files onto it instead of using their stupid software I have been very impressed by it.

The new Zen Neeon doesn't seem to bad either.

• User profile image
    Oberon

I ended up buying a Zen Micro instead of an iPod Mini. But the only reason I got the Zen was because it had a built in FM radio.

I still might buy an iPod down the road if they come out with a model with a built in radio. One thing that is nice about Apple's music service is that there is a program that will remove the DRM from your music and turn them into unencrypted AAC files. Someone also came out with a hack for WMA earlier this year, but I believe that Microsoft released a fix for it. Microsoft's better DRM is great for media companies but not for consumers.

• User profile image
    geekling

I'd planned on getting a Zen Micro later on this month.

How are they, Zen Micro users? Wink

• User profile image
    burtriddley

Orbit86 is a troll, just like leighsword. and beer28, welcome back.

• User profile image
    Oberon

geekling wrote:
    I'd planned on getting a Zen Micro later on this month.

How are they, Zen Micro users?

I've only had mine for less than a week, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

My only gripe so far would be the touchpad controls. It works well enough once you get used to it. But in order to keep from accidentally activating the pad you have to lock it with a slider button when it is your pocket. The lock button is small and can be awkward to lock/unlock in certain positions or when you are using the belt clip.

I also think that the touch pad is hard to use when you have it attached to your waist with the belt clip. With normal buttons you can just feel around for the right button and press it. But feeling around the face of the touch pad to find the pause button for example, can result in accidentally activating the wrong button like the skip forward/backward buttons.

I think Creative used a touch pad for the "gee-whiz" factor, but regular buttons would probably have been more practical.

But those are minor gripes for me. Like I said I am pretty happy with it. It sounds great and it has a bunch of cool features which I haven't really played with much yet like a voice recorder, FM recording, the ability to download contacts, calendar, and tasks from Outlook, ability to use it as a removable USB drive, and an equalizer.

(Another plus for Linux geeks is that there is a Linux program available that lets you upload/download music when you're not in Windows.)

• User profile image
    Matt8109

I also own a Zen Micro and couldn't be happier.  I like the fact it has the features of an iPod mini and more and was cheaper.

What music services, if any, do you guys use with your players?  I really like Napster, it actually pops up with a message telling you that there is an upgrade for your player's firmware when a new version is released, which is sweet.  That and the fact that I get free music from napster from my university.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eagle wrote:
    My PocketPC is way better then an iPod anyday, it can play music and so much more.

Ignoring capacity, of course. Unless your PDA has a Type-II CF slot you can put a 4GB Microdrive into.

...and IIRC, 4GB Microdrives cost more than a 4GB iPod Mini

• User profile image
    Oberon

W3bbo wrote:
    eagle wrote:My PocketPC is way better then an iPod anyday, it can play music and so much more.

Ignoring capacity, of course. Unless your PDA has a Type-II CF slot you can put a 4GB Microdrive into.

...and IIRC, 4GB Microdrives cost more than a 4GB iPod Mini

Not to mention that battery life on PDAs usually stink compared to MP3 players.  400Mhz processors, big full color screens, Wifi, Compact Flash cards,  and other components can suck up batteries pretty quick.

• User profile image
    Oberon

Matt8109 wrote:
    What music services, if any, do you guys use with your players?

I haven't used any music services yet. Does anyone know of any articles comparing the various services? Are there significant differences between them?

• User profile image
    Spitfire15

Good choice. iPods aren't that great anyways as their marketing is crazy. Oh yeah, did you notice that Microsoft actually invented this so called "Game Boy displayed" MP3 Player?

Read on here: http://www.techweb.com/wire/ebiz/168601146

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.