Coffeehouse Thread

127 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sick of Scoble

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ninjagarden

I've been a Microsoftie for some time now, but I'm finding that Robert Scoble is really starting to turn me off the platform.  I can't seem to read this forum without seeing him trashing other browsers (anti-Firefox rants) and I haven't read a single post that looks like it was written by a human rather than written with a marketer holding a gun to his head. 

I can't even read Channel 9 anymore without seeing him on a thread trashing stuff that isn't made by Microsoft (even though I love Microsoft, I still want to use other company's products!).  I'm keeping my iPod and Firefox alongside my Windows, no matter what you say.

It was really nice when Scoble went into hiding for a week.  Please leave or start posting like a real human!

• User profile image
    geekling

Oh man. Can you link me to a couple of those threads of products that Scoble bashes? I haven't seen any yet.

I wanna be in the loop, ninjagarden!

• User profile image
    zzzzz

what about constructive criticism

• User profile image
    Manip

On a personal level Scoble is an extremely nice guy, and as far as I can tell a great person in general.

However I do not at all like what he does, blogging is lame, it is like journalism without any real legal or moral incentive to make sure it is accurate. His blog posts consist of links to other people's opinions and most appear to be aimed at getting as high up on google's search results as possible.

He rarely actually reveals his opinion, he appears to me to be the worst kind of marketing guy to a point where it is almost a stereotype of what you'd imagine the marketing department staff to be like.

You can shoot the videos in any style you like, but at the end of the day you aren't going to hear anyone saying anything negative to wards a Microsoft product. Further more it is clear that what videos get shown on what topic and on what days is very carefully planned in order to help 'hype' a technology in a more broad strategy.

• User profile image
    trolane

we need mass removal of ipod users and firefox users.

• User profile image
    Minh

Oh C'mon guys, a little friction makes life interesting. But if you can, be more specific about your thoughts. Cite specific incident. Describe your thoughts.

• User profile image
    eagle

This is what that guy is pissed about:

Richard Macmanus is noticing that everyone is trying to name RSS feeds something different. He also links to Mike Torres of MSN Spaces team, who explains why we like the term "Web Feeds" better.

• User profile image
    Nata1

I beg to differ.  Scoble is the first person at Microsoft I've seen who's been critical of their products.  He used to rip on the search team until recently when they really started coming out with some suprising stuff.

Your entitled to your own opinion, and I'm entitled to mine - and I have no clue what you're talking about.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

ninjagarden wrote:
    I've been a Microsoftie for some time now, but I'm finding that Robert Scoble is really starting to turn me off the platform.  I can't seem to read this forum without seeing him trashing other browsers (anti-Firefox rants) and I haven't read a single post that looks like it was written by a human rather than written with a marketer holding a gun to his head. 

I can't even read Channel 9 anymore without seeing him on a thread trashing stuff that isn't made by Microsoft (even though I love Microsoft, I still want to use other company's products!).  I'm keeping my iPod and Firefox alongside my Windows, no matter what you say.

It was really nice when Scoble went into hiding for a week.  Please leave or start posting like a real human!

If you don't like it, then don't read his posts or his blog.

Like Minh said, you need something to make it interesting. If you always stand by a neutral position, nothing will ever come of it. You need to be "pro " something in order for others to be in opposition of your viewpoints.

Scoble has a lot of times criticized some of MS stuff.  For example, MSN Search, Claria, etc.

If he's passionate about MS, let him be passionate. Though, Scoble does tend to write a lot about MS. Smiley

Like I said, if you don't like it, then that's your problem. Why should he leave because of you? Scoble doesn't have to have a blog nor does he have to post here. So, he doesn't have to post what you want to hear all the time.

mVPstar

• User profile image

It's Scoble's opinion, He likes to speak up his mind.. Where is the problem? on the other hand he only speaks facts! You like using Firefox, so what?!! Want a reward? Hoooray! As if anybody uses another product rather than Microsoft's, he is honest, has his own opinion, and a hero! Well viva for you, are you satisfied now?!!! Guys give him a medal, he is keeping his iPod and Firefox alongside with HIS Windows, no matter what scoble says!!!

Stop it! It's either you reply with facts or stop criticizing! and please stop playing the victim's role, there are no victims here!

One more question, If you like Microsoft as you say, What's wrong with some marketing? or you want Microsoft forums to market Firefox instead? or do you suggest that scoble has to start interviewing Firefox and iPod teams instead of Microsoft teams?

Oh please, grow-up!!!

• User profile image
    eagle

That ninja guy is a friend of Roberts and he is really pissed at Microsoft right now.

I just read his blog, he is driving cross country and posted on his blog right after he loged on with a new user name here.

• User profile image
    ninjagarden

Firstly, you're not a Microsoftie since it is obvious you do NOT work there...

Lastly, STFU stupid!!

.....Willy

This is the sort of crap that's going to drive me off the Microsoft platform completely.  Get a life, fanboy.

• User profile image
    irascian

Beer28 wrote:
    I think Scoble's at microsoft for the money.

Oh puhlease! Scoble could get fired tomorrow and he'd immediately be snapped up by some rival firm for a far higher salary than Microsoft pay him.

He even joked about this himself when someone asked him (at the London Geek Dinner) what he'd do if his paymasters decided he'd gone too far.

As for the original starting point of this thread, I find it ludicrous. Scoble has been extremely critical of certain Microsoft decisions and has continually hyped non-Microsoft products. That he has managed to do so whilst still holding down his job in Microsoft evangelism is nothing short of astounding.

One of the problems of having a profile as high as Scobles is all the jealous and envious wannabe's start crawling out of the woodwork and criticising. The fact is that while you may not agree with Scoble, and sometimes he gets things seriously wrong, he has an integrity that is sadly lacking from many working in the area of P.R. and marketing or as so-called "professional journalists"

• User profile image
    Jorgie

ninjagarden wrote:
    I can't even read Channel 9 anymore without seeing him on a thread trashing stuff that isn't made by Microsoft (even though I love Microsoft, I still want to use other company's products!).

What are you smoking?

Scoble goes out of his way to give specifics when he is critical of software (Apple OR Microsoft). And makes it clear that he is actually talking about specific things he does not like and that he is not just trashing non-MS products.

Yes he can be said to be guilty of over-enthusiasm, but that rarely leads to him being negitive about anyones products.

Maybe YOU need to take some time off.

Jorgie

• User profile image
    ninjagarden

One of the problems of having a profile as high as Scobles is all the jealous and envious wannabe's start crawling out of the woodwork and criticising. The fact is that while you may not agree with Scoble, and sometimes he gets things seriously wrong, he has an integrity that is sadly lacking from many working in the area of P.R. and marketing or as so-called "professional journalists"

I'd say he had integrity before he started at Microsoft, but lately it's been lacking somewhat. 

Look at his rant a couple of months ago against BoingBoing where he accused them of not correcting a blog entry that turned out to be wrong (which Scoble never does!) even though they had an update for the story on their main page! 

I have a lot of respect for Cory D. at BoingBoing and Scoble attacking looked really unprofessional.

• User profile image
    deadmonkey

I fail to see all of these posts you talk about?

I am not saying that Robert has never "bashed" a non-Microsoft product but I do not agree with you that he is constantly "bashing" non-Microsoft products.

Every time I have spoken with Robert he has always said good things about other companies/software. I don't have any exact quotes but he agreed with me that Apple had a sweet product with iPod and while it may not be the _best_ (strictly speaking I don't think anything can actually be the best as everyone is different but thats another discussion) it is certainly an awesome product.

I have not spoken with him about Firefox but I am sure he would agree that some of the features such as tabbed browsing are handy (after all IE is implementing them now) however Firefox does have its fair share of problems and one of them is deployment and enterprise management/support. This is what lets Firefox down and probably why, if infact he did, bash Firefox. It is why I "bash" Firefox. I use it at home and at work as my primary browser but there is no chance in hell I would be allowed (or want) to deploy it at work to 2000+ workstations with no central management tool.

I also think that these personal attacks, which is what your post is, are unfair. If you dislike what Robert says why not email him and talk to him about it? You don't have to start a post here to find others who dislike him also.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Beer28 wrote:
    I think Scoble's at microsoft for the money. He's been there an aweful long time, but I still think he's only there for the bling bling.

He doesn't make that much money. He drives a Focus. He dresses in jeans and T shirts more than half the time.

Disagree with his opinions, but why personally attack him?

• User profile image
    Manip

Jeremy W. wrote:
    Disagree with his opinions, but why personally attack him?

Even if you did make it personal you'd still loose, scoble is too nice of a person... As I said in the above post I don't like what he spends his days doing, but the guy, outside of his work seems like a really nice person and I am yet to read something to make me think otherwise.

The fact he makes money doing what he does is irrelevant as most jobs do... I know people who are on less than 10k a year but love their jobs, I also know people that are on more than 50k and HATE their jobs so...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.