Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Sunday silliness: Punch cards

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Read this on the evil web site

Let's assume we need all of a 650Meg ISO image to instal Windows XP. That's 650x1024^2 or 681,574,400 byes. A standard Hollerith punch card can hold 80 bytes, so we need 8,519,680 cards.

Big assumption here, if someone has better data please chime in - but I'm going to assume 75 Hollerith cards stack to one inch, so we're talking 113,596 or so inches worth of cards, 9,466 feet.

Assuming a semi trailer is 28 feet long, that's 338 stacks. Which is as far as I'm going to take it, but it's not a full truckload.

• User profile image
    Manip

What are you talking about? What article on Slashdot? Why didn't you link to it? And why are you talking about a punch card edition of XP?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Manip wrote:
    What are you talking about? What article on Slashdot? Why didn't you link to it? And why are you talking about a punch card edition of XP?

No idea what article, it was in my meta moderation list today, and I didn't care that much.

It's a rough estimate of how many punched cards it would take to store a data CD

• User profile image
    irascian

blowdart wrote:

No idea what article, it was in my meta moderation list today, and I didn't care that much.

It's a rough estimate of how many punched cards it would take to store a data CD

And to us old farts who actually wrote our first programs on punched cards it serves as a timely reminder of how much things have changed.

(We had a punched card system at Richard Taunton 6th form college in Southampton and used to submit them overnight and get printouts and returned cards that we could correct the next morning - does wonders for improving your programming skills when you know you can only have one 'run' a day with an assignment deadline at the end of the week!)

• User profile image
    Comic Strip Blogger

Since when Slashdot is "evil" for Your, tarry? Anyway "evilness" is in an eye of beer holder smoking-room's

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I bet now that "Reply in Ink" button is one of those things we all wish was never invented

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I rather enjoy how the handwriting recognition software mangles the tooltips on the ink.  It gives me the "all your base are belong to us" warm fuzzies. Wink

• User profile image
    Comic Strip Blogger

cybermogellan: I also wish something: that gusts in cg forum could be rated by other forum members _ as it is in "the hive" forum... BCN: do you have Tablet pc?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.