Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Tablet PC Demo

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    NeoTOM

FASHION E-*MERGENCY*! LIEK OMG LOL! <3 <3

I feel dirtier for having typed that.

• User profile image
    Wells

Sad

I'd do *anything* for a tablet PC (ANYTHING!)

Unfortunately I'm over £7,000 in debt thanks to being a student...

So if any of you MS guys wanna send me a tablet, feel free Big Smile

• User profile image
    Comic Strip Blogger

NeoTOM wrote:
    FASHION E-*MERGENCY*! LIEK OMG LOL! <3 <3

I feel dirtier for having typed that.

Cool but my comic blog is a one big Tablet PC demo too - it is wholly drawn with Tablet PC Wink !

• User profile image
    David7738

I'll just take the girl if she comes with the Tablet Pc.. If we split up I'll just have to keep the PC, she can have the furniture..

Known of nasty divorces re family pets... imagine when it comes to ownership of the families pc's <LOL>

If only the price/performance ratio was more in line a lot more would sell but then again the snob appeal would disappear..

Lets see gotta have Tommy Hilfinger T's @ $80 a pop, Nike sneakers, an IPod and a Tablet PC.. I'd buy Walmart T's and Northstar sneakers, give up the Ipod just to have the Tablet!

• User profile image
    blowdart

David7738 wrote:

Known of nasty divorces re family pets... imagine when it comes to ownership of the families pc's <LOL>

I own and host the wife's domains. *evil*  

• User profile image
    z33driver

check EBAY, there Are some Great Peals to Be HAD!

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Waiting patiently for this years Christmas bonus Smiley

Probably going to get something like the Toshiba M200, unless there is a newer model in the next 4 months.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Harlequin wrote:
    Waiting patiently for this years Christmas bonus

Probably going to get something like the Toshiba M200, unless there is a newer model in the next 4 months.

IBM Thinkpad X42 looks very nice.

I'm thinking of picking that up, but we'll see.

• User profile image
    Nate​Furtwangler

I have had a Toshiba Protege M200 since January and love it.  Its perfect for the student.

Some tips that I've come up with:

-Use OneNote to record lectures.  It links your notes to the lecture.  i.e. if at 15:20 into the lecture the instructor is talking about Dijkstra's Algorithm, I write "Dijkstra" and when I put the stylus over the word i can click play to hear the lecture at that point.

-If you have a scanner, scan your books!  Its not as hard as it sounds, see my blog for details.  Once it's scanned you can read/search/annotate it all on your tablet without ever having to carry books around.

-Get a convertable if you can, I do lots of programming so having a keyboard attached is a must.

The M200 is very durable too.  Mine fell out of my bag when I was walking from class and landed corner-first on concrete.  There is a small scratch on the paint but other than that you'd never know it happened.  Not that it will ever again. (ALWAYS make sure your bag is properly zipped! Smiley )

• User profile image
    Harlequin

NateFurtwangler wrote:

-If you have a scanner, scan your books!  Its not as hard as it sounds, see my blog for details.  Once it's scanned you can read/search/annotate it all on your tablet without ever having to carry books around.

An Office tool does this(OneNote/Word)?

Or a 3rd party OCR program?

• User profile image
    XiXora

you say your m200 is durable...? you dropped it in a case?

i put elbow on lcd to answer phone( not even full weight... just like i would typing on a desk.. ), lcd mask shattered.
    boy kick my bag, lcd mask shattered.
    boy steals bag ( must have dropped it ), lcd mask shattered.

its been a bit of an expensive laptop so far!

• User profile image
    mochant

Harlequin wrote:
    NateFurtwangler wrote:

An Office tool does this(OneNote/Word)?

Or a 3rd party OCR program?

Check out The Student Tablet PC blog. Tracy Hooten, one of the two students who runs the blog, recently posted a comparison on how to do this with both Acrobat and Microsoft Office Document Imaging (included with Office like a lot of cool utilities most people never seem to discover).

• User profile image
    Nate​Furtwangler

>>Check out The Student Tablet PC blog. Tracy Hooten, one of the two students who runs the blog, recently posted a comparison on how to do this with both Acrobat and Microsoft Office Document Imaging (included with Office like a lot of cool utilities most people never seem to discover).

Actually thats where I found out about book scanning.  I heard about the Student Tablet PC blog from your podcast!  I went with Microsoft Office Document Imaging because I don't like using pdf files (they always seem so slow and have bad ink support).  Like I wrote before, basic details can be found at my blog but check out the Student Tablet PC Blog for detailed explainations. 

Just for a quick reference, my first book was 300 pages and took about 2 hours and was 16megs when finished.

XiXoria:  It fell out of my bag so there was nothing protecting it.  It landed in the upper left corner so I was worried about the LCD being shattered but it was fine.  Like I said, it only had a small scratch on the paint on the corner.  I'd say it was about a 4 foot drop on to cement.  Maybe I'm just lucky but I'd say thats pretty durable.

• User profile image
    zzzzz

Microsoft wrote:
    >>Save trees

Leave the paper behind and scribble notes right on the screen...

Know this i like cutting down trees, pushing them over with a backhoe, or shoot a tree down with .223/.45/9mm/.308/4570 or other caliber.

Nothing beats meaningless destruction

• User profile image
    scobleizer

I dropped my M200 (four feet onto concrete) too and it survived with a crack to the bottom case. Cost $150 to fix, but other than that was fine.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Anyone recognize Jenny's number? Smiley

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

NateFurtwangler wrote:
    I have had a Toshiba Protege M200 since January and love it.  Its perfect for the student.

Some tips that I've come up with:

-Use OneNote to record lectures.  It links your notes to the lecture.  i.e. if at 15:20 into the lecture the instructor is talking about Dijkstra's Algorithm, I write "Dijkstra" and when I put the stylus over the word i can click play to hear the lecture at that point.

-Get a convertable if you can, I do lots of programming so having a keyboard attached is a must.

The M200 is very durable too.  Mine fell out of my bag when I was walking from class and landed corner-first on concrete.  There is a small scratch on the paint but other than that you'd never know it happened.  Not that it will ever again. (ALWAYS make sure your bag is properly zipped! )

Thanks for the tips. Still, in high scool you've got 600+ BIG color page books. I don't know if I'd have the patience to scan 'em all. (Also don't know if I'd be allowed to by school rules)

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

JChung2006 wrote:

Anyone recognize Jenny's number?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.