• User profile image
    darklotus

VB.NET Resource Kit
    VB.NET Power Pack
    VB.NET At The Movies
    VBTV
    ASP.NET Resource Kit (Mostly VB.NET)
    Etc...

Why all the VB.NET goodies? I dont see 1/4 of the effort put into C# that i see for VB.NET. Even SQL 2000 Reporting Services are embedded with VB.NET. (C# is only available with a custom assembly) I have been to 3 development seminars for Microsoft technologies and guess what language they were in? Thats right! VB.NET. I dont have a problem with VB.NET but come on, isnt anyone pulling this cool stuff for C#?

• User profile image
    wwwcoder

Wait a second, when .NET first came out there was absolutely nothing on VB.NET, they're just catching up on what us VB'ers have been missing out on. Wink

• User profile image
    KHowe

darklotus wrote:
    I have been to 3 development seminars for Microsoft technologies and guess what language they were in? Thats right! VB.NET.

Not to start something...but
    at teched (I forget which Speaker) said that they were told to put all examples in VB.NET.

Can anyone confirm that.

Keith

• User profile image
    lars

Maybe old VB users need more incentive and support to do the transition. I like C# better than VB.Net. But it doesn't really matter - It's not that hard to learn both. The big thing is learning how to leverage the .NET framework and all the underlying technology. And that is essentially the same regardless of language. If it helps VB.Net users I can live with translating the examples to C#. No biggie.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    eagle

Microsoft is helping the VB community make the leap to OO Programming, and we will all benefit from that!  

• User profile image
    Blkbam

KHowe wrote:

Not to start something...but
    at teched (I forget which Speaker) said that they were told to put all examples in VB.NET.

Can anyone confirm that.

Keith

I'm not with MS but I can confirm it.  If you watch any of the MSDN Web casts (not the shows but web casts) the presenters often say that the examples are in VB.Net and the C# people should be able to follow along.

The reason is because that since the languages are sold as similar and interchangeable, all samples are to be in VB since the C# people (being higher in the coding food chain as C* people are treated) should be able to pick up on it.

I was actually going to post this same question but as you can see I was beaten to it.

IMO I think it is to get the VB6 people to convert to VB.Net.  The general thought is that VB.Net is a different language than VB6 so none of use really wants to convert to the .Net flavor.  It requires a major relearning of how to do the job you used to.

Me, I'm going to C#.  If I'm going to learn something, it might as well be something new.  C# also gives me more than VB.Net will.

Also, I'm a tad bit sick of defending myself when it comes to the C++ programmers since the world of programming caters to their egos.  Don't believe me, look at the other programming models that derive from C++: Flash, Install Shield Script, C#, VS.Net IDE, and countless others.

But lets keep this discussion about the lack of goodies for C#.  Reply on that not my comments above.

• User profile image
    WillyDev

Remembers that VB before .net have 13' of Developers in the World. Is Necessary Help and Doc for this people that want move to .net... and Remember too that Mr Gates Love BASIC =).

• User profile image
    JasonBunting

Commenting on the original post, I would simply say that I think it *is* because they may be having a problem bringing people into .NET from VB6. It is funny because it sounds crazy to me, but I think it is true. I talk to many developers I run into and many of them are stuck using VB6 against their will because their boss/company/etc. don't want to spend the time learning the differences, they simply plug along using what they know.

I know an entire shop still using 'classic' ASP simply because it works for them and they are too busy to change over (not to mention the fact that most of their developers were trained on the job and would have a HUGE learning curve ahead of them going to OOP, et al).

Personally, I have used both C# and VB.NET, so I simply port the techniques and knowledge over.

I attended the VB.NET World Tour when it was here 2 months ago, and it was interesting to see how much they are doing for VB.NET in VS.NET. Amazing stuff. I know there are those out there that see the purposes of the two languages diverging (Juval Lowy, for example) but I don't understand why (I have read the reasons and still don't get it). This then begs the question, why even have two separate languages. Well, some people like the C# syntax more than that of VB.NET, but that is relatively moot to me. Okay, rambling now, I better quit.

• User profile image
    mikekol

Plain and simple: the VB.NET community has been bitching about feeling left out in the cold by the move to .NET, so Microsoft is trying to show them that VB isn't dead.

Seriously - If I hear one more whiney VB person complain about 'Microsoft not supporting VB', I'm gonna go through the roof.  Move on, people.

• User profile image
    wwwcoder

Hold on Commander Zim, this whole thread was about MS not providing enough goodies for C#.

MS also changes language flavors at each event, DevDays Web track was all C#.

It's all CLR, can't we just all get along?

Wink

• User profile image
    mikekol

Yeah, Yeah... I know Wink

I'm just tired of the whole rhetoric - as you may have noticed...

You're absolutely right, though...

It all comes down to IL, and that's really what's important.  

So, Microsoft... why aren't more demos given in IL?  Huh?  Where's the love?  Smiley

• User profile image
    darklotus

I know i can use VB.NET examples and make then C#. I can take all the VB.NET kits and seminars and code examples and still use them based on the framework and so on, but the point is, why should i spend my development time doing that when i should be able to throw in the C# Power Pack or C# Resource kit and go from there. There is so much hype, even to this day, about VB.NET, its almost like the "Goodies" department never heard of C#. MS uses so much time developing the VB.NET stuff, why cant they send a little time with C#.  

• User profile image
    Knute

Dark, I agree I get tired of all the freaking VB.Net samples on the web sites I go to look for samples, even in the Web Dev Books I read. There are a few C# sites but it would be great if MS had a whole site dedicated to the coding "Jedi's" Smiley

~ Knute

• User profile image
    JasonBunting

Dark, I think it comes down to money. There are far more VB (VB6 & VB.NET) lovers out there at this time, and as a business MS wants to make sure they hold onto them by enticing them however they can. They have the C# lovers already, and C# lovers are not likely to jump ship - so they focus on them.

Besides, the VB.NET resource thing . . . I mean, it has some free controls and such, but those can simply be installed and used by C# guys as well. As for sample code, who cares? Most of the time I can look through VB.NET code quickly enough to find what it is I need to know, and move on. I guess I just don't care . . . I get along fine without all of the help from MS via code samples and 'goodies.'

• User profile image
    lars

Samples... A Jedi craves not these things! =)

Anywho, there are some Code wize communities that are more geared towards C#.

Like C# Corner and C# Friends.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    WillyDev

"I believe in a single Basic, NOT almighty, maker of the Visual, the events, and the Sales.

I believe in his only child Visual Basic, interpreted not compiled in the Genesis days with PCode and which then, made man on its 5.0 version, made itself compiled for the sorrow of the Delphi ones and misery of the purists.

It was sacrificed, blamed and trampled on its versions 3 and 4, on the ages of 16 and 32 bits.

I believe in its market endurance, in the growing hordes of developers who, like its father Gates, opted by it.

I believe in Allan Cooper, in the Interactive Design, in the thinking of the user as a human, in Bruce McKinney and the serious perception.

Now it has come made of light, with good news for its followers, object oriented, based on Common Classes and more, to get free of its detractors, as high is Gates who started in the Genesis with Basic and defended it on the TechEd of 2k1 and 2k2.

I believe in it Binarily, as in the end it will be made one in the CLR, and from there to the eternity it will be seated beside his Brother C#, both inspired on their Father Visual C++, for the Frameworks of the Frameworks...

Compile!... and debug." =)

Ok, stand up, it is not needed to keep knelt anymore. =)

Willy

Http://WillyDev.Net
    MVP VB.Net

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.