Coffeehouse Post

Single Post Permalink

View Thread: Why all the VB.NET Goodies?
  • User profile image
    Blkbam

KHowe wrote:

Not to start something...but
    at teched (I forget which Speaker) said that they were told to put all examples in VB.NET.

Can anyone confirm that.

Keith

I'm not with MS but I can confirm it.  If you watch any of the MSDN Web casts (not the shows but web casts) the presenters often say that the examples are in VB.Net and the C# people should be able to follow along.

The reason is because that since the languages are sold as similar and interchangeable, all samples are to be in VB since the C# people (being higher in the coding food chain as C* people are treated) should be able to pick up on it.

I was actually going to post this same question but as you can see I was beaten to it.

IMO I think it is to get the VB6 people to convert to VB.Net.  The general thought is that VB.Net is a different language than VB6 so none of use really wants to convert to the .Net flavor.  It requires a major relearning of how to do the job you used to.

Me, I'm going to C#.  If I'm going to learn something, it might as well be something new.  C# also gives me more than VB.Net will.

Also, I'm a tad bit sick of defending myself when it comes to the C++ programmers since the world of programming caters to their egos.  Don't believe me, look at the other programming models that derive from C++: Flash, Install Shield Script, C#, VS.Net IDE, and countless others.

But lets keep this discussion about the lack of goodies for C#.  Reply on that not my comments above.