Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What's your favorite Feed Reader?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

The browser war is over.

XML is changing the way we communicate with Atom, RSS and  Web Services.

Have you eXperienced the power of XML?

Have you tried a Feed Reader?

• User profile image
    john259

I use SharpReader and like it, despite having to endure the bloated 24MB download of .NET Framework which it requires.

I find RSS  extremely useful to scan through a whole load of news stories and forum postings quicky.

I've tried to persuade various friends to try RSS, but with one exception nobody - technical or non-technical - showed the slightest bit of interest. I did eventually get one person (technical) to give it a go, but he hated it and said he far preferred to visit web sites.

Perhaps it's my lack of persuasive powers, but not entirely, I think. RSS for the general public appears to be a complete non-starter at the moment, sadly.

John

• User profile image
    eagle

You should try Bloglines, it's Web based so I can access it with my PocketPC!

• User profile image
    lars

Right now I use Sharpreader. First I tried Bloglines, but I didn't like it. Next I'm going to try Newsgator for a while and see if that is any better.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    lars

john259 wrote:

I've tried to persuade various friends to try RSS, but with one exception nobody - technical or non-technical - showed the slightest bit of interest.

It takes abit of getting used to. But once I got that "eureka!" feeling there is no going back!

/Lars.

• User profile image
    surferdude

I'll throw in a vote for bloglines as well.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

My favorites?

NewsGator or IntraVnews (because they are integrated into Outlook).
    RSS Bandit or Sharpreader (cause they works well with Channel9's comment feeds).
    FeedDemon (nice user interface and fast performance).
    Bloglines (for reading on the Web).

• User profile image
    scobleizer
  • User profile image
    JasonBunting

I personally love the idea of aggregators. So nice to get all of the content in one place. I turn people onto it when I can, but I do get mixed reactions.

I love SharpReader. I have tried RSSBandit, but I keep having this problem with it - it doesn't seem to remember which entries I have read or haven't read after I shut it off and start it back up. It drives me crazy so I stick with SR.

• User profile image
    lars

It basicly allows me to monitor an order of magnitude more sources of information on a daily basis. And I don't have to do a thing but start the program. Being both curious and lazy it works out great. Smiley

/Lars.

• User profile image
    theseanster

I use RSS Bandit. NewsGator has a great idea of integrating with Outlook, but I noticed a huge memory leak. If you use NewsGator, take a look at how much memory Outlook starts to use over time. Once I uninstalled NewsGator, Outlook was fine again.

• User profile image
    jamesa

FeedDemon for me, the UI is great and the performance is top notch. I refuse to use a reader that takes up 50+ Megs of memory. I like to leave it open all day while I work, and I need all the free memory I can get.

The only thing I dont like about Feeddemon is the lack of comment feeds, but Nick is pretty open to feedback so hopefully we will have this in one of the next editions.

• User profile image
    warren

NewsGator for me.

• User profile image
    dpjanes

Hi,

I'm David Janes and I wrote BlogMatrix Jäger. I'm going to start this backwards and tell you why you might not want to use this aggregator:

• If you think Outlook (and Outlook-style) is the greatest UI model in the world, there's lots of aggregators out there for you. I hear some of them are quite good.
    • If you need a web-based aggregator, I hear Bloglines is quite nice.
    Now that that's out of the way, if you're a browser-centric guy like me, or you read a _lot_ of blogs, and hate wasting time, I think  Jäger is the way to go. It works as a small app that sits to the side of your browser and tells you what's been updated on a site (it uses Atom and RSS, but has a bunch of different heuristics for sites that don't support syndication). When you click on a link, the blog, entry or whatever shows up in your browser.

It has a pile of other features too:
    • Synchronization
    • extendability (it plugs into Technorati, Waypath, language translation tools)
    • there's a Mac version
    • Watch Lists (marks entries that contain keywords)
    • Some level of BitTorrent integration/RSS 2 enclosure support
    Anyhoo, enough from me. It takes about 2 minutes to set up if you want to give it a spin.

Regards, etc...
    David
    http://jaeger.blogmatrix.com

• User profile image
    Reboots DaMachina

I use a feed reader. I prefer receiving my information this way. So far it is uncluttered by Flash junk, banner ads (mostly) and some of the good ones let me share! (opml)

The app I use currently is called RssFeedEater. It is made by www.babisoft.com and is at .9.2 beta.

It is simple, easy to add subs and reads atom feeds. It doesn't integrate into anyone's email or browser. That is smart. Dependency is so outmoded.

It even lets me (blogger) blog from my reader. What more could you ask for? If nothing better comes around, I may pay up to $20USD for this app.

Reboots Damachina  - - - > My Blog

eagle wrote:

The browser war is over.

XML is changing the way we communicate with Atom, RSS and  Web Services.

Have you eXperienced the power of XML?

Have you tried a Feed Reader?

• User profile image
    Amanda.​Murphy

I have used Sharpreader, Bloglines, and few others before deciding to stick with Newsgator.  Outlook is always open on my laptop or desktop - so newsgator is the perfect fit for me.  

I like having the ability to forward / reply to posts as well as use the Search Folders feature in Outlook 2003 to catch information on certain topics.  My opml file has almost 800 feeds in it so that proves to be quite helpful from Monday to Friday - since I usally dont have time to check every individual feed during the week.

There was a good feed reader I used on the mac a while back...can't remember name right now.

• User profile image
    RicarDog

I use RssReader http://www.rssreader.com/.

It's very simple to use.

• User profile image
    Haacked

I like RSS Bandit because it can synchronize my feeds, read items, unread items between work and home.

Phil

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.