Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Hey Beer

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    NeoTOM
  • User profile image
    trolane

NeoTOM wrote:

if your goin to start a fight least use news from this year. Although the not much has changed in 3 years Smiley

• User profile image
    TimP

I can't tell if that "review" is an attempt at humor or just plain stupidity.

• User profile image
    yanchaowang

i was woundering why there is such a domin name "something owful"

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

If you're looking fo a more accurate take on Linux, I prefer this article myself:

http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/linuxbeat3.htm

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Beer28, are you bleek? Smiley

• User profile image
    IRenderable

Beer28 wrote:
    If I seriously had to give an old person linux....

Interesting question. It would be a tear up between SuSE and Fedora Core.

I'd have to go with Fedora Core, since I could preconfigure it anyway. I'd set it up with mplayerplug-in and the warez mplayer codec pack so they could watch any video from the web in Firefox just as they could on mac or windows.

SuSE comes standard with KDE and evolution, since they own ximian and they make evolution. I'd think thunderbird is easier to use and nicer looking.

If it was OOB, where they had to install it, I would say SuSE, but if I could configure it for them, I'd do Fedora Core, because with a couple extra repositories you can install so much stuff so easily compared to SuSE. Like Perl-DVDRipp, libdvdcss, and a bunch of other stuff that SuSE won't package(because it's illegal)
    I'd also configure acroread, the real one from adobe, their new version is super nice, and I'd make it the primary pdf reader and I'd install all the xmms extensions and configure it to open all audio files just like on my machine and mplayer with the shady codecs to open all video media. It works flawlessly for me. The mplayerplug-in opens every single web video type out there in firefox.
    mplayerplug-in-3.05-1.fc4

I would give her Ununtu (that is if I couldn't configure it, then I would use Fedora Core) because it's just so instant and easy to setup and comes with all the things she will probally ever use (that is after I install the codecs she would need, since she would probally wan't to watch videos).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

TimP wrote:
    I can't tell if that "review" is an attempt at humor or just plain stupidity.

Evidently, you're infamilar with "teh intarweb".

SomethingAwful.com is a satire news website, not to be taken seriously. Famous for its weekly "Photoshop Phriday" competitions, reviews of "Hentai Games" and horrid, low-budget movies, and their "Comedy Goldmine" feature.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

That specific section is for garnering flames. I was hoping they would get a take.

• User profile image
    TimP

W3bbo wrote:
    Evidently, you're infamilar with "teh intarweb".

SomethingAwful.com is a satire news website, not to be taken seriously. Famous for its weekly "Photoshop Phriday" competitions, reviews of "Hentai Games" and horrid, low-budget movies, and their "Comedy Goldmine" feature.

Something Awful is usually mildly entertaining. That article just sucked, though.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.