Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Anyone factory reset their 920?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

the gears been grinding almost an hour now...how long does it take?

if playing audio is as awful as it was, I'm swearing off windows phone for good

• User profile image
    PeterF

It wouldn't take 4 hours now, how did it end up?

• User profile image
    vesuvius

, Minh wrote

if playing audio is as awful as it was, I'm swearing off windows phone for good

I cannot play loss-less wavs on my WP8, and the bluetooth does not work with my car so I have gone for an iPhone which plays AIFF's without forcing me to convert my lossless format to a lossy one, and the Bluetooth experience is far better.

I really think more work needs to be done, and the music app is requires far to many clicks and swipes when you are driving for example, my Android phone is far easier to use when you need to change tracks quickly and your phone is locked.

• User profile image
    Minh

Still going.... Not good?

• User profile image
    PeterF

@vesuvius you must have incredible hearing, playlists might help you minimize interactions while driving

@Minh hmm, that's really long... I would have already performed a volume-down and power, you're a patient man Wink Maybe hard resetting is the best you can do at this point, check out http://ukmobilereview.com/2013/05/how-to-hard-reset-the-nokia-lumia-920-and-lumia-820/

Good luck,
    Peter

• User profile image
    codeDebate

been there and it was not pleasant as it was stuck for hours and when I forced a restart it got stuck on the Nokia logo. Eventually had to send it back for a replacement. I hope things went well for you Smiley

• User profile image
    vesuvius

, PeterF wrote

@vesuvius you must have incredible hearing, playlists might help you minimize interactions while driving

I have an incredible music collection and an incredible stereo. The argument about .m4a and .mp3 over .aiff or .wav boils down to the music you listen to. Most music styles people like sound great in the lossy formats, but once you start listening to orchestral arrangements with 30 musicians, or jazz bands in complex arrangements, with cowbells, timbales and congas, you will always opt for lossless formats.

I DJ a bit in my spare time and boy can you tell in a pub or club if the person is playing lossy formats, one song is loud, then the next quiet and so on.

I also tend to record mix tapes that are 2 hours long on average. Try skipping a mix-tape from 0 to 60 mins (so you can listen to the last 60 minutes in the two hour mix) using a windows phone quickly, it is almost impossible.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I had to do a complete reset on my Samsung WP8 to fix numerous music issues, but it did work.

That said, the WP8 music experience is a giant kick in the balls compared to the Zune functionality in WP7. 

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

Have you tried a soft (or whatever they call it) reset? This is the one where you hold down the volume-down and power buttons for 10 seconds. It forces a reboot without doing a factory reset. I have done that a few times.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

@Minh: there are time when you want to soft restart the phone. I have gotten this when I go to YouTube page using IE. Apparently they found a way to crash WP8 IE. Or sometimes the proximity sensor is going kookoo. as for lossless topic to the other guy, couldn't you use WMA for lossless encoding? Wave is too big, the wma is much smaller and still mathematically lossless.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Minh

I really think there's something wrong w/ this phone hardware-wise... This'll be a good excuse to trade it in... Gear still churning BTW... and hard reset don't work since it looks like it's in the factory reset mode... it just goes into the gears turning screen

• User profile image
    PeterF

If you haven't returned it yet, you might want to look into this: http://mynokiablog.com/2013/10/11/how-to-easily-fix-the-lumia-reset-spinning-cogs-at-home/

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

, PeterF wrote

If you haven't returned it yet, you might want to look into this: http://mynokiablog.com/2013/10/11/how-to-easily-fix-the-lumia-reset-spinning-cogs-at-home/

I saw this over the weekend and immediately thought of this thread.  I'm glad you got to it cuz I forgot it Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Thanks for the link, but my phone was still under warrantee. It's only 11 months old...although the sluggish symptoms appeared about 4 months ago. But I really hated the ergonomics of the 920 (I mistakingly called it 925). It's way too slippery in the hand. It's going to gazelle.com the first chance I get

• User profile image
    Pete_PDX

I also have a 920... I had the exact issue you speak of... Follow the article posted above. I fear all 920's suffer from this.

• User profile image
    Minh

I don't see the the 1020 listed on Verizon... I don't know the smart phone market very well... Can you just take any phone (it's OK if I don't get the subsidies) to any carrier?

• User profile image
    Jim Young

, Minh wrote

Still going.... Not good?

The same thing happened to my 920. It never recovered and I was able to get a replacement under warranty.

• User profile image
    Minh

I'm starting to get the "This cannot be played on your device" w/ Xbox music again. Of course, it's a clear MP3 and I had no problem playing it after clearing the dialog.

Sigh... I hope it's not a sign of things to come

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.