Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Apple cash hits $110 Billion

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SteveRichter

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/apple-cash-hits-110-billion-126-billion

Apple has more than enough cash to fund the development of a new desktop and server OS. But do they have the skills and talent? Is there a young Anders out there that Apple could give free reign to to design something great? Gosh, could Apple buy Microsoft?

• User profile image
    pavone

That's impressive. Apple could probably buy entire countries now. It's amazing what design, visual style and good marketing can get you. 

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

@pavone: and obviously overpriced products

• User profile image
    cbae

I crack up when Apple fanboys tout how much profit their favorite company makes, almost as if they receive pleasure from giving as much money as they can to Apple.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

, SteveRichter wrote

Apple has more than enough cash to fund the development of a new desktop and server OS. 

Why? Do they need one?

• User profile image
    vesuvius

, cbae wrote

I crack up when Apple fanboys tout how much profit their favorite company makes, almost as if they receive pleasure from giving as much money as they can to Apple.

Don't worry Microsoft are catching up. Going forward you will be supplying Microsoft with More money as everything of their is either hefty license (visual studio), subscription in Azure that is quite expensive and 30% of your metro app profits. It is a case of "the pot calling the kettle black"

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

@vesuvius: in Microsoft's defense; 'the customer is asking for it'

Just look at Apple, I would be very happy with a piece of a $100.000.000.000,- pie!

• User profile image
    Proton2

I have only used an apple product once, a computer at Simon Fraser University, but at one time, in the early days of Apple, I had a big interest in their products but could not afford them.

So I ended up with an Apple Magazine, the first and second issue, both in mint condition still, published by apple and not a third party.

I suspect that these are rare and perhaps might be worth a lot of money to an apple fan. I might scan the covers and post them, but they are currently buried deep within my archives. Anybody knowledgeable about apple historical paraphernalia?

• User profile image
    Ray7

, SteveRichter wrote

Apple has more than enough cash to fund the development of a new desktop and server OS. But do they have the skills and talent? Is there a young Anders out there that Apple could give free reign to to design something great? Gosh, could Apple buy Microsoft?

Not sure why they'd want to, to be honest.

Aside from the rainy day fund, Cooke has plans for expanding the retail chain, locking up component supplies, more data centres, employee incentive schemes, manufacturing equipment, marketing...

... and let's not forget their MASSIVE legal bills and possible fines.

• User profile image
    SteveRichter

Apple has more than enough cash to fund the development of a new desktop and server OS.

, DCMonkey wrote

*snip*

Why? Do they need one?

as all devices become integrated, malware becomes a real threat to users. What about a virus on your desktop  that hacks its way into your android phone and records all of your phone calls? The OS of your desktop, of all your devices has to be 100% secure.

• User profile image
    Ray7

, SteveRichter wrote

*snip*

as all devices become integrated, malware becomes a real threat to users. What about a virus on your desktop  that hacks its way into your android phone and records all of your phone calls? The OS of your desktop, of all your devices has to be 100% secure.

... and how would a new OS help?

• User profile image
    cbae

, vesuvius wrote

*snip*

Don't worry Microsoft are catching up. Going forward you will be supplying Microsoft with More money as everything of their is either hefty license (visual studio), subscription in Azure that is quite expensive and 30% of your metro app profits. It is a case of "the pot calling the kettle black"

Except that I don't have an orgasm because Microsoft reported earnings and made $x billion in a quarter. For me, using Microsoft products is a business decision. Call me crazy, but I consider computers and phones as tools and not as a way of life. When there comes a time when Microsoft products don't make business sense, then I'll move on.

• User profile image
    Ray7

, vesuvius wrote

*snip*

Well, it's an interesting tactic. They don't really have much that can fight off the iPad, but they can try to make it more expensive for their customers to use it. Hence the companion device license.

The question is will their customers buy into Windows RT so they don't have to pay, or just dump the MS software altogether?

• User profile image
    cbae

, Ray7 wrote

*snip*

Well, it's an interesting tactic. They don't really have much that can fight off the iPad, but they can try to make it more expensive for their customers to use it. Hence the companion device license.

The question is will their customers buy into Windows RT so they don't have to pay, or just dump the MS software altogether?

Dump it for what?

• User profile image
    Ray7

, cbae wrote

*snip*

Dump it for what?

Whatever they want.

• User profile image
    SteveRichter

, Ray7 wrote

*snip*

... and how would a new OS help?

Can windows be made completely secure against malware? Where an app has to go thru a UAC before it can do anything outside the silo it is running in.  also, I wonder if legacy requirements drag an OS down in any important ways.

• User profile image
    Ray7

, SteveRichter wrote

*snip*

Can windows be made completely secure against malware?

I doubt it, and I don't think any other operating system can either. Not unless you remove the user from the equation.

Where an app has to go thru a UAC before it can do anything outside the silo it is running in. 

That's where Apple is heading with Mountain Lion, but what about stuff that turns up through the browser?

also, I wonder if legacy requirements drag an OS down in any important ways.

True, but Apple does tend to trim legacy stuff a lot faster than many in their customer base would like: Rosetta bit the dust a version ago; before that, the Java/Cocoa bridge; and then there was the uproar when they dumped the Carbon framework.

These days, I don't think anyone would build a completely new commercial OS from scratch.

• User profile image
    cbae

, Ray7 wrote

*snip*

Whatever they want.

They could do that now.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.