Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Blocking WLM2011 Update

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I don't know if I should be posting this here, but I've tried WLM2011 and I just don't like it. Even when you disable the "Social" stuff you still have an awkward experience: the UI is too animated, wastes too much space, and the adverts are even worse than before.

Yes, I know there's an APatch for it, and that Messenger Plus will be out soon too, but I'm perfectly content with WLM14 (and before that I was fine with 8.5, which I still run on my desktop), and TBH I'd be happier if we all got back to using version 4.7, but a man can dream...

I uninstalled WLM2011 after being outraged enough and managed to reinstall WLM14, but Windows Update keeps pestering me to install WLM2011, even after declining installation (unlike IE8's setup on XP/Vista).

I know I could just install WSUS on my domain and then block that update, but that would require redoing everything and doesn't play nice with VPNs.

Back in the old web-based versions of Windows Update you could cause updates to be blocked, but I don't see that option. Is there any way?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Update: Ahh, it turns out right-clicking on the update entry in WU and selecting "Hide Update" does the job, but the language could be made clearer because "Hiding" isn't necessarily the same thing as "Permanently Ignoring".

Let's see how long my computer will last before Microsoft decides for force all Windows Vista/7 users to "upgrade" to 2011, despite the fact WLM14 will be supported on XP for at least a few more years.

(I'd also like to add that WLM8.5 is also still supported, but only for users of WS2003 and XPx64 for some reason).

• User profile image
    Bas

I wonder how you can unhide updates you've previously hidden.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

@Bas:

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Bas

@vesuvius: D'oh! Thanks for pointing that out.

• User profile image
    Zeus

I actually would like to find a replacement for WLM, any version, but I have not seen any that is does what I want it to in a simple way. What I would like is a very simple interface where I could post my twitter/facebook/wlm-status, chat with friends on facebook/wlm, all in a minimalistic and simple interface.

Do you know of any such program ?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

, Zeus wrote

I actually would like to find a replacement for WLM, any version, but I have not seen any that is does what I want it to in a simple way. What I would like is a very simple interface where I could post my twitter/facebook/wlm-status, chat with friends on facebook/wlm, all in a minimalistic and simple interface.

Do you know of any such program ?

Most of the popular multi-service clients (like Pidgin, et al.) are missing on much-needed features, like Webcam support and file-transfers.

There are very capable libraries for working with the MSNP service that are written in .NET too, it's just a massive undertaking now that the service is so complicated. I've even written an MSNP server for version 3, but implementing version 4+ of the protocol is a pain because of how over-engineered it is (for example, originally the contact list was given to the client as a simple list down a TCP socket, one contact per line; now you have to get it via a SOAP call, wtf's with that?)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.