Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Build 2012 Hackathon

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • ESgarbi

Is anyone participating at the Build Hackathon?

• Ian2

@ESgarbi:Will look out for you.

• ESgarbi

@Ian2: I reckon that I should look out for you. I don't have any apps in the store like you do... maybe I should join your team to increase my chances in getting to the finals.

• Freeon

I signed my team up today.  We don't have any experience in vs2012, so it will be interesting.

• Ian2

I'm not sure yet how much time I will be able to devote to the hackathon so not sure how much of a safe bet I might be team-wise! Should know a bit more closer to the start date.

• Chrissteven​81

@ESgarbi: I am

• PaoloM

I'll be around, but probably busier with networking and catching up with old friends Smiley

• ESgarbi

4 out of the 10 people I know have already signed up. I don't remember in past PDCs or even last year Build having this type of format (only computers loaded with hands on labs stuff). I think its going to be interesting.

The only problem is that I don't think i want to miss out the attendee party to code until 2am on Thursday. 

• Chrissteven​81

Yeah. I think I'm going to go to the party and not code that time. but I am sure ill be done partying well before they close the hackathon room

• Chrissteven​81

so quick question. When they say coding from scratch do they also mean no api like Telerik or phone fx or the sdk? if so we are really limiting our ability lol

• Dan

, ESgarbi wrote

4 out of the 10 people I know have already signed up. I don't remember in past PDCs or even last year Build having this type of format (only computers loaded with hands on labs stuff). I think its going to be interesting.

The only problem is that I don't think i want to miss out the attendee party to code until 2am on Thursday. 

I'm coordinating the Hackathon for Build, and yeah, this is definitely new. The reason we're doing this is because we think people learn better when they're actually writing code. Our hands-on labs have previously been copy/paste here and see that it works, and this in a sense is an evolution of our hands-on labs.

Also, just to be clear at least for judging, final apps are due at 8PM on Thursday at the latest. That means all Hackathon attendees should go to the attendee party Smiley

• MasterPi

@Dan: Can we participate if we're not at Build? Cool

• Dan

, Chrissteven​81 wrote

so quick question. When they say coding from scratch do they also mean no api like Telerik or phone fx or the sdk? if so we are really limiting our ability lol

The point we wanted to make in the "build from scratch" comment was that participants don't think this is something where you bring an app you've partially or fully completed. We'll have the exact rules listed for attendees, but using 3rd party controls or open source libraries in an app is fine.

• longzheng

The MetroTwit team (David, Winston and I) might be participating if we have enough free time Smiley

• dentaku

With all the phones in that room I want to see photo of all the Niners that show up and hopefully some taken with a Lumia 920 Smiley

• Richard.Hein

I was on the fence, but the last one I went to was fun, so... I just sent the registration email ... I am waiting to see if I got in.  At first I thought I might miss out on other things, but then I realized, this is exactly what I might miss out on. Also, I was trying to think of something to make but by the time Thursday rolls around after a couple of days of sessions I should have a lot of new ideas and knowledge to leverage, so that will likely result in a departure from any plan I may conceive right now. Anyways, I hope there's room, Dan. Smiley

• Ian2

Still on the fence, my main concern is my brain tends to get overloaded with all the information from the sessions at these kinds of conferences.  Combine that with a healthy dose of Jet Lag (I will be 8 hours outside my comfort zone) and  'eating crap' (I revert to being a kid when I am away from my wife) and I'm not sure that it might just be a bridge too far for me.... ?  (and I didn't even mention my age)

• ESgarbi

, Ian2 wrote

Still on the fence, my main concern is my brain tends to get overloaded with all the information from the sessions at these kinds of conferences.  Combine that with a healthy dose of Jet Lag (I will be 8 hours outside my comfort zone) and  'eating crap' (I revert to being a kid when I am away from my wife) and I'm not sure that it might just be a bridge too far for me.... ?  (and I didn't even mention my age)

I've always had issues with jet lag, I remember sleeping on almost every single important session at the pdc in 2005 and thats why I always try to attach  holidays a week before at the same timezone as the conference..

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.