Coffeehouse Thread

52 posts

Build 2013 predictions?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    bondsbw

My predictions/hopes:

• .NET Framework 5 and C# 6
    • Windows 9 (release in 2014) as a unified platform for phone, tablet, and Xbox
    • How the future of the desktop integrates with WinRT

And of course a bunch of cloud stuff on day 2 that I don't care much about.

• User profile image
    csinger

I am really hoping that there will be an announcement for an App Store for the XBox One. As well has a unification of the App Store across platforms.

I don't see any place holder sessions though so I don't think we will hear of anything ground breaking (which would be disappointing).  But here's hoping anyways!

• User profile image
    Ian2

I am hoping there will be announcements around Microsoft Hardware - as well as upgrades to Surface I would hope to see a smaller form factor device "Surface Mini" and some announcements around closer integration between XBOX gaming across all platforms (as well as an App store for XBOX One that mirrors the one for Windows 8.1.)

Future wise I hope there are further announcements around unified development and delivery of Apps across Windows XBOX and Phone.

• User profile image
    felix9

.NET 5 and C# 6 seems unlikely now, they should have way more sessions talking about these if there will be such a big announcement.

heck, even Anders is talking about TypeScript, duh.

but there is always hope, and possibly TBA sessions Smiley

The only thing I can be sure is Milan, and thats good enough.

• User profile image
    bondsbw

, felix9 wrote

.NET 5 and C# 6 seems unlikely now

If no new version of .NET is announced, Visual Studio 2013 could be the first version that is not associated with a release of .NET, since the beginning of .NET.

• User profile image
    felix9

@bondsbw: .NET 4.5.1 will be there Smiley

That said, as far as I can see, .NET 4.5.1 doesn't have enough new stuff for this 1 hour long session, so there is always hope. Tongue Out

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/2-303

whats more, I found a hint about a new 'protojit.dll' in CLR of .NET 4.5.1, maybe they'll talk about that. Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

Probably:

• Xbox Music
    • New Surface hardware
    • Details on all the Windows 8.1 stuff that has been leaked but nothing new
    • New (and hopefully vastly improved) WinRT library
    • Limited Windows Phone Blue info

Hopefully but extremely unlikely:

• App development on Xbox One (app store, winrt on smartglass)
    • Live tiles for desktop applications
    • Unified programming model for Windows 8, Windows Phone and Xbox One

We'll see. 

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I predict:

• Lots of programmers
    • Lots of Powerpoint slides
    • Lot of talking about, you know, programming and stuff.

I'm not really very good at predictions.

Herbie

• User profile image
    PeterF

@Dr Herbie:Me thinks it's the most accurate prediction in the thread Wink

• User profile image
    Bas

I also predict lots of drama here in the coffeehouse after various announcements.

• User profile image
    aL3891

They should really talk about Xbox apps and hopefully Xbox games.. they havent talked enough about Xbox indie development and i really hope they fix that at build

Kinect 2.0 is very likely to make an appearence atleast.

Really i think there is going to be alot of Xbox this year Smiley

hopefully we'll see more winRT stuff for desktop as well Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

I'm looking forward to more info on Kinect 2.0, but I very much doubt that there'll be any Xbox indie games/app development stuff, which seems like a tremendous blunder.

• User profile image
    Michael Butler

My prediction. Lots of cool stuff to get my dev juices flowing... and lots of stuff that my job won't allow me to use until service pack 2

• User profile image
    chb

session listing are already available http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013

... so there will be a small 0.1 update to DirectX ... and a talk about webGL, so I assume we will see webGL Support in future version of ie.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

There do seem to be a few sessions about desktop development, so that's a good sign. Smiley

• User profile image
    Ian2

Countdown to BUILD (actually quite useful if you are 'time zone challenged')

• User profile image
    Michael Butler

, chb wrote

session listing are already available http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013

... so there will be a small 0.1 update to DirectX ... and a talk about webGL, so I assume we will see webGL Support in future version of ie.

Lots of good stuff there. I can see I'm going to be watching videos of the sessions for weeks.

No TBA sessions listed this year, does that mean we have no surprises in the Keynotes.

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

1. Windows 8.1 changes already published
    2. WinRT changes for W8.1 (minor changes)
    3. Visual Studio 2013 (minor changes)
    4. Limited XBox One developer info.
    5. WP8.1 hints

All-in-all this will be a re-introduction to all of the recent changes in the W8.1 -> WinRT -> VS pipeline. I don't expect anything for the desktop other than "how to make your app work with multiple display densities and touch". WP8.1 isn't ready for it's big debut. They will probably hype the future potential of the Windows Everywhere strategy but don't have enough pieces in place to show a lot of details to devs.

With so little to talk about that may be why, in part, the conference is so short.

That said I'd love to eat my words...

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.