Coffeehouse Thread

52 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Build 2013 predictions?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    aL3891

@Bas:

I dunno.. I suppose i'm an optimist but looking at the sessions there seem to be quite a few on game development Smiley the point update on directx that even has its own session is also puzzeling, they usually don't talk much about DirectX.. i'm guessing the new version is what xbox uses.

There are only two sessions explicitly tagged as xbox (still that's two more than ever before) but I think Microsoft will push for a single "windows" for phone, xbox and pc, so there might be something Smiley

as for the length of the conference, its been three days for a long time, so i'm not sure that's any indication of content and there might still be sessions that they haven't added, again I suppose i'm an optimist Smiley

we'll see soon

• User profile image
    felix9

http://www.zdnet.com/the-build-up-to-microsofts-build-2013-7000016901/

Steve Guggenheimer:

(The existing Win32, line-of-business/commercial developer community and the startup community) "We need a good conversation with that community."

"We haven't done a good job telling the .Net developers we haven't forgotten them, We need to tell them that."

lets see Smiley

• User profile image
    bondsbw

@felix9:  So long as it's more than, "Hey .NET developers, we haven't forgotten you.  Here's an update on Roslyn... (2 minutes)... Moving on...".

• User profile image
    aL3891

I think Microsoft post sinofsky [and with the xbox one pr disaster] is starting to realize that it has to listen more do its customers and developers.. 8.1 is a really good example of that. so it git support for tfs

hopefully they manage to sneak some exciting stuff past the awful PR offices and put some developers on stage showing things we can actually use

we'll see in 15 Tongue Out but im genuinely excited about this one

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Stream is live.

• User profile image
    bondsbw

@aL3891:  I hope you're right.  But I feel like this is the same Microsoft that responds too late to feedback.

I'm excited, too... but if this bombs, I will be very disappointed.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

It's nice to finally not have these keynotes be at 1am. The advantage of not living in Japan anymore. Wink

• User profile image
    Ian2

I predict they will be starting late.  .....

9:05am ....

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

No audio ... Sad ... oh ... just came on.  Smiley

• User profile image
    kettch

Just a note for any niners in the audience. It's probably not a good idea to go knuckle-deep up your nose when there's a camera panning around. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    felix9

Well, according to Soma, that 'What's New in .NET Development' session is all about .NET 4.5.1 and VS2013 IDE features.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/somasegar/archive/2013/06/26/visual-studio-2013-preview.aspx

oh no.

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

@felix9: I'm not sure what "oh no" means but skimming the blog I have to say there are a few good gems in VS 2013 that make it a significant update (watch return values, 64-bit edit & continue, handling in-flight async transactions). Much of it is around Windows Store Apps which IMO keeps hammering nails in the desktop coffin but all-in-all I think VS 2013 looks pretty good.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Separate DPI for external monitors? Now that is awesome and something that has been needed for a long time. Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

And then the stream died.

• User profile image
    Ian2

Try this if you are having trouble with the feed:

http://t.co/316LtmhhhB

(open in Media Player)

• User profile image
    blowdart

Once they get to the ASP.NET bits guess which is my code Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

It started working again after a bit. Just caught the tail end of the Project Spark, which looked kind of cool.

So, when's the Windows 8.1 preview available to the public? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Ian2

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.