Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Building excitement for Build 2016

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    giovanni

Can anyone make an educated guess on the (apparently highly requested) surprise that Microsoft will present at Build? Personally I am clueless.

• User profile image
    Ian2

Support for RSS Feeds? (OK, Not likely but would be welcome)

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Interactive tiles. If not, then more flexibility (e.g, animation, app rendered visualization) because IIRC you have to follow an xml template that pulls content from an endpoint.

• User profile image
    Proton2

My UWP app in development could use a feature that can spawn a new live tile ( or regular tile) from a live tile.

• User profile image
    bondsbw

I think they're going to open source something huge.  Will make .NET Core look small by comparison.

• User profile image
    PeterF

Channel9 is still having to prepare their stage it seems... Who's already in town?

Preparations

• User profile image
    codedj

Some thoughts:

1. Open source Edge, make it available on Mac and Linux, sync bookmarks across all
    2. Android apps running on Windows? wasn't there a rumor last year about this?
    3. Visual Studio on Mac? I know VSCode, Xamarin Studio are available on the Mac but it's not as feature rich as VS.
    4. UI Framework that works across Windows, Mac, Linux - or - UWP that works across all platforms. This is an extension of the Xamarin story except that it works across desktop and mobile. Also a story similar to Electron which allows you to create desktop apps using JavaScript except in this case it will be .NET?
    5. Complete the Windows 10 story - all MS applications are UWP (especially File Explorer) instead of a mix of Win32+UWP. This will lead to consistent UI. Nicer transitions/animations.
    6. SSH on Windows - they have been working on it right?

• User profile image
    TheTraveler

They have decided to switch to win 8.1 style DPI scaling, so text doesn't look blurry on standard desktop monitors.

• User profile image
    TheTraveler

There must be 2 x hype things going one. 1 is the topic the link from this thread that points to live tiles enhancements ... that can almost only be interactive tiles and maybe live tiles for the desktop ... possible both.

Then there is the CHANGE EVERYTHING statement from Scott Hanselman ... which I don't hope bites MS in the *, if it turns out to be less than that.

anyway, that gotta be about something else, because, there is nothing about live tiles that has the ability to change everything.

"Change everything" must come from a belief that MS has a solution that will secure a role for windows in this app store world. It must come from a belief that MS now have found the key that will close the app gab between windows and IOS/Android.

My guess is that you will be able to stick the URL of a git hub repository that contains the code for a ios/android app to some Azure build service, that service will compile and push a UWP app to the windows store. 

It is not enough for MS that you can side load android apps into windows. The apps needs to get  into the Microsoft store, so MS can get its cut of the money. A build service could be a tool for that ...

• User profile image
    wkempf

, codedj wrote

Some thoughts:

1. Open source Edge, make it available on Mac and Linux, sync bookmarks across all
    2. Android apps running on Windows? wasn't there a rumor last year about this?
    3. Visual Studio on Mac? I know VSCode, Xamarin Studio are available on the Mac but it's not as feature rich as VS.
    4. UI Framework that works across Windows, Mac, Linux - or - UWP that works across all platforms. This is an extension of the Xamarin story except that it works across desktop and mobile. Also a story similar to Electron which allows you to create desktop apps using JavaScript except in this case it will be .NET?
    5. Complete the Windows 10 story - all MS applications are UWP (especially File Explorer) instead of a mix of Win32+UWP. This will lead to consistent UI. Nicer transitions/animations.
    6. SSH on Windows - they have been working on it right?

1. Interesting idea, and may happen, but this isn't likely the rumored change coming. Not Windows 10 specific enough.

2. That bridge was cancelled, and it was only ever for mobile, not big boy Win10.

3. Also may happen, but not Win10 specific at all, so not the rumored change.

4. I'm sure there will be news along these lines, but this is obviously not what the rumor was about.

5. Doubtful. And this would blow no one's mind. Not the rumored change.

6. Definitely happening (you're supposed to be able to d/l a working version now, even though it's still under development). I doubt this is the rumored change either, though. Not enough people would care about this, and since we have SSH clients and servers from third parties, it's not really a wow thing even for those that care.

• User profile image
    codedj

@wkempf: Regarding 2. I meant android apps running on Windows 10 as is. The bridge if I am not mistaken was about recompiling iOS or Android source code for Windows 10.

There are rumors about a Linux(unix) Sub System for Windows. Not sure if that is the first step to getting Linux apps running on Windows - can't think of why that would be cool.

I agree with the *not the rumored change*. I just wanted to put all my thoughts out there.

• User profile image
    wkempf

@codedj: You're mistaken. The iOS bridge required recompilation, the Android bridge did not. If you wanted to take advantage of Win10 specific features you'd have to do some code modification and recompilation, but many applications ran with no modification at all. There's YouTube videos of this bridge in action.

Microsoft already had a Unix subsystem (SFU) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Services_for_UNIX). That was abandoned quite some time ago. I doubt they'd bring it back.

There were some good ideas in your list, just not many that count as "wow" and none likely to be the rumored change. Though I have no clue what that change could be. They built up too much expectation with that... not sure what could live up to the hype now.

• User profile image
    codedj

@wkempf: Cool Thanks. Will check. I hope they live up to the hype. Scott Hanselman had hyped before last Build as well - don't remember how much - probably wasn't to the same level. They ended up announcing VS Code.

• User profile image
    itsnotabug

my naive guess would be something centered around the xamarin acquisition like 'xamarin community edition'... which would be a good segway into uwp everywhere... desktop, mac, mobile, including xbox one apps... in fact, i think many announcements will be around xbox one updates... maybe a dual tuner OTA hardware for the new dvr features and/or some kind of partnership with a cable tv provider ala playstation vue... maybe new apis for home automation in xbox one.

• User profile image
    TexasToast

@itsnotabug: Build is usually not about the Xbox or gaming.  It is talked about but never the focus so I doubt it.  The Xbox features are good that you mention for consumers, I just think they are not something professional developers care about .

• User profile image
    itsnotabug

oh that was wishful thinking on my part :)

new apis for xbox one would be the dev angle, especially if they open up networking and allow xbox one apps to run in the background in the low-power/sleeping state like mini-home servers. more wishful thinking i'm sure.

• User profile image
    felix9

I think they were talking about Bash on Linux on Windows, using technology from that cancelled Android-on-Windows project.

look here: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/P488
    and if thats 404, search this url in google, its cached.

• User profile image
    Bas

It wouldn't surprise me if they suddenly drop something completely unexpected like Visual Studio going open source, or possibly cross-platform.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.