Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Can other Lumia 920 owners hang up?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Vaccano

I decided to jump on the Windows Phone 8 bandwagon.  And for the most part I am pleased.  My Lumia 920 is a good phone and Windows Phone 8 is a good OS for it.  There are problems of course, but most of them I can live with.

However, there is one issue that has finally driven me to post here (to see if others have this same problem).

About 50% of the time when I am done with a call, I can't get the screen to turn on.  My iPhone had a sensor that could just know when I was not holding it to my face anymore and would turn the screen on.

It would be one thing if my Lumia 920 just could not sense that I am holding the phone to my face anymore.  But it takes one more step into stupidity.  It turns off the screen after I push the "Power/Activate" button.  (The screen flashes on for about a half a second and then goes off again.)

I have to say that this is really frustrating and it is starting to sour me on my phone.  I have left several empty messages that I did not intend to leave as I try to hit the hang up button in the 0.5 seconds that the screen is showing.

So, does anyone else have this issue?  And if you have, do you have a workaround?.

• User profile image
    Ian2
  • User profile image
    Jim Young

@Vaccano:The first issue sounds like the proximity sensor may not be working right 1/2 the time. I've read about other folks having a similar problem and they either sent the phone back for repair or tried blowing some air around the upper right corner of the phone in order to dislodge any dust that may be covering the sensor. Personally, I have not encountered the problem on my 920.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

I have this problem.  There's some kind of short in the proximity sensor.  Mine started like yours, but then quickly got so bad that as soon as you start a phone call, it will turn off the screen, like the proximity sensor is always in the on or off state (whichever activates/deactivates the phone).  There's nothing I can do but constantly hit the power button repeatedly while trying desperately to hit one of the phone buttons; if I manage to hit the speaker button, then the screen will stay on and I can use the bloody phone.  Hanging up involves hitting the power button repeatedly and attempting to hit the end call button until I finally get it to hang up - or the other person hangs up first.

I cannot get it repair under warranty because I got the phone at Build and the phone, according to Nokia's website is not covered in either Canada or the USA.

It is definitely a short however, as sometimes if I squeeze the phone in the right spot, the proximity sensor will work for a while.  It's become rarer and rarer that it will actually work like that, however.  So there must be a loose solder point or something.  I'm eventually going to crack it open and attempt to fix it myself.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

@Ian2 & @Jim Young:  That did not work for me, but there is definitely dust around it and the camera lens.

• User profile image
    Ian2

@Richard.Hein:I couldn't see any dust build up but an almighty blast of air sorted the issue out straight away and I haven't had it since(tw)

Your symptoms were exactly like mine so could be worth giving it another blast of air.  (I have had quite a few people report that it worked for them as well).

• User profile image
    elmer

No such problem with my 920.

• User profile image
    DevGeek

@Vaccano:

I have the Nokia 920 from Build and had this same issue.

For me, all I did was remove the screen protector I had on the phone and all the hangup/proximity issues I had went away.

• User profile image
    cheong

@elmer: No such problem with my 920 too.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    cbae

@DevGeek: Same here. I ended up trimming off the part of the screen protector that covered the sensor. I haven't any problems since.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

Had the same problem. A blast from a can of compressed air along to top edge cleared it up.

Here is a trick to use if you are in a pinch and want to hang up but you are currently experiencing this problem: Press the bower button quickly twice - the screen will turn back on and you can end the call.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

I finally fixed my 920; I had to disassemble it and clean the proximity sensor contacts.  At first, it didn't seem to help, but a bit of pressure in the top left corner and the contacts are working great.  I may have to add some electrical tape to keep the pressure up on the contacts, but for now, it's fine.  There was a lot of dust in there.

I used this video as guidance to disassemble the phone:  http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Nokia+Lumia+920/12122/1.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Did you guys install the Lumia update? That update adjusts the proximity sensors and supposedly fixes the issue regarding the screen turning off after a call.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

@MasterPie:  My unit wasn't updating, but a colleague just sent instructions on how to get my firmware to update (apparently developer or unlocked phones can't get ROM updates without a bit of hacking).  I will be trying it later today (for some reason the WIFI connection isn't working at the office right now).

• User profile image
    Ian2

I have a developer unit (from Build) and only got prompted for the update last week.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

@Ian2:  Yeah, perhaps I can update ... my phone does detect an update if I check manually.  However, the WIFI still isn't working here.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

@Richard.Hein: Yeah, I had to check manually to get it to show.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.