Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Can you do this test on VS2012?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

1. Have a solution with multiple C# projects

2. Press f6 / build solution

don't do anything

3. Press f6 again to build solution, time how long this takes

4. add // (empty comment) to any .cs file so that nothing changes execution wise.

5. Press f6 again to build the solution

Did you notice any difference in the build time? I tried the test also by building just the project and not the solution, with very similar result.

Either my 2012 is seriously borked or those lines of code that contain just "//" take some serious compiling. I'm puzzled why though - since the C# should have a background compiler that has figured out before I even hit F6 that no real code changes were made.

edit: It probably is no surprise if I told that 2008 was so much faster I never even noticed this sort of thing, my compile times are about 5-10x longer on 2012 using SSD than on 2008 using only HDD. I've been thinking about upgrading the computer to "complete overkill" to "solve" this issue but I've estimated that it would STILL be slower than 2008 on the current build. For reference, the projects are mostly command line apps with some libraries and there's *no* 3rd party extensions installed.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Are you compiling under DEBUG mode or under RELEASE mode?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

do you run any extensions, addins?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.