Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Disney buys LucasFilm $4.05B, new Star Wars series

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bas

Disney is pretty good at letting companies do their thing. See Marvel. I'm cautiously optimistic. They just need someone good at the helm.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

, spivonious wrote

@Maddus Mattus: There never were any official 7,8,9 books, but the fiction authors tended to use each other's storylines. Big ones were Timothy Zahn's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thrawn_trilogy) and Kevin J. Anderson's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jedi_Academy_trilogy).

Apparently, the new movies will be original stories Sad (http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source)

Awww... I was really hoping for Thrawn too

• User profile image
    Bass

It can't be any worse than what Lucas did to the franchise.

• User profile image
    RobGreenly

Oh my god. George Lucas will now ruin the American educational system.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/01/george-lucas-disney-money-will-go-toward-education/

“For 41 years, the majority of my time and money has been put into the company," he said. "As I start a new chapter in my life, it is gratifying that I have the opportunity to devote more time and resources to philanthropy."

And, more specifically, to improving education, an effort he committed himself to back in 2010 by participating in The Giving Pledge. He explained in a letterdated July, 2010 that his belief in growing and developing young minds was the reason why he created the organizations Edutopia and the George Lucas Educational Foundation, the latter of which focuses on innovations in the field.
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

, ScanIAm wrote

I seem to recall a lot of toys when the other movies came out, too.

My issue with disney is they are too 'family friendly'.

Disney also owns Miramax, which is not family friendly.

• User profile image
    dahat

I am fearful that this will lead to Star Wars Holiday Special... Episode Two:

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

@dahat:epic

• User profile image
    kettch

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    cbae

, brian.​shapiro wrote

*snip*

Disney also owns Miramax, which is not family friendly.

As well as Touchstone, which distributed a Cinderella story about that heart-of-gold hooker named "Vivian".

• User profile image
    spivonious

I just remembered, there's an old Star Wars section of DisneyWorld at their Hollywood Studios park (formerly MGM Studios). It's been there since it opened, I think.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

, spivonious wrote

I just remembered, there's an old Star Wars section of DisneyWorld at their Hollywood Studios park (formerly MGM Studios). It's been there since it opened, I think.

Yes, it has been there since day 1. 

That's the nicest park of the bunch, for a nice stroll, imho. Animal Kingdom was(is) also beautiful but there's not as many open spaces as what I remember from MGM Studios.

I wonder if the indoor magnetic-propelled rollercoaster is still playing Aerosmith in the cabs.

• User profile image
    spivonious

, JohnAskew wrote

*snip*

Yes, it has been there since day 1. 

That's the nicest park of the bunch, for a nice stroll, imho. Animal Kingdom was(is) also beautiful but there's not as many open spaces as what I remember from MGM Studios.

I wonder if the indoor magnetic-propelled rollercoaster is still playing Aerosmith in the cabs.

Ha, yep it does, at least when I was there a few years ago. The whole theme is getting Aerosmith to the show in time.

That's one thing Disney does right. Even the rollercoasters have a story and aren't just empty thrills.

My favorite park was Epcot. Hollywood Studios wasn't big enough for a whole day's visit.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

, spivonious wrote

*snip*

Ha, yep it does, at least when I was there a few years ago. The whole theme is getting Aerosmith to the show in time.

That's one thing Disney does right. Even the rollercoasters have a story and aren't just empty thrills.

My favorite park was Epcot. Hollywood Studios wasn't big enough for a whole day's visit.

I used to live 20 minutes away from the parks, in Clermont. I'd take my young kids and spend an afternoon in a park on a whim, so the get-it-all-done-in-a-day was never an issue and, man, it makes the stroll so much nicer to not fret about missing content due to time contraints...

• User profile image
    kettch

@JohnAskew: Yeah, if you live close by, you don't have to worry that it's probably costing you $30 an hour to be there. That's a limiting factor.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

@JohnAskew: But then the parks aren't novelties. Surely, it'd ruin the experience slightly if you could go anytime.

• User profile image
    kettch

@MasterPie: Disney parks never get old. I know a few families who live near Disney parks. They have season passes, and go a couple times a month and indicate that they don't get tired of it. I also have known people who worked at Disneyland, and I've spoken with current empl^H^H^H^Hcast members, and the answer to the question "What do you do on your day off?" is always "Go to the park".

• User profile image
    Ian2

3:04 Mark Hamill talking about sequels

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

, kettch wrote

@MasterPie: Disney parks never get old. I know a few families who live near Disney parks. They have season passes, and go a couple times a month and indicate that they don't get tired of it. I also have known people who worked at Disneyland, and I've spoken with current empl^H^H^H^Hcast members, and the answer to the question "What do you do on your day off?" is always "Go to the park".

Very true. That's why after many many short trips, I came to prefer the MGM Stuidos park for its open air landscaping design. Most pleasant. Animal Kingdom comes in second because you're walking down corridors lined with bamboo so much it feels uncomfortable walking between areas. However, the visuals at Animal Kingdom are the best ~ the African village stands out for me.

Epcot was where I would go for beer. Mmmmmm, beer. Good beer there.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.