, swheaties wrote

@wkempf: 

This is from the TOS link posted earlier in this thread:

• Additionally, with your permission, we may contact you via phone or email to provide you with promotional offers regarding Microsoft Online Services. You may change your contact preferences in the account management portal.

First, what I quoted was a rant about selling this information to third parties, and you conveniently left out the part where that's explicitly called out as something they won't do. Second, "misuse" is something you've not defined, but what ever it is, you have the option, spelled out in the TOS, to prevent whatever it is. So, no matter how much you dislike things here, you're rant about the TOS is simply wrong. The TOS "gives you ironclad protection against misuse or third party disclosure".

, swheaties wrote

@wkempf: 

Indeed.  Would you continue to shop at that store if they required your phone number?  Interesting story:  There is a grocery store chain here in So. CA (Albertsons) that was doing very well until a few years ago when they switched to a pricing model that required customers to swipe a store ID card in order to receive discounts.  I immediately stopped buying there.  They recently closed about half their stores.  Now, I am not 100% certain the ID cards where the only contributor to their downfall, or even a primary contributor.  But their stores got really empty really fast right after they started doing that. 

I did, and I do. BTW, Albertson's is alive and kicking in my area. Further, most grocery stores here have the same "member card" savings policies. None of them are hurting for customers. By all means, if you don't like the terms, vote with your wallet. However, you're going to find yourself in a minority on this subject.