Coffeehouse Thread

49 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Excel 2013 Performance Issue

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    kettch

, ErwinHeisler wrote

Luckily my Acrobat XI, AutoCAD 2012, Alibre 2012, ... performance better than the previous version.

I might be inclined to believe you, except you list Adobe products and AutoCAD.

Software is a complex beast, and often "performance issues" aren't always the fault of the software or hardware, and are difficult to pin down.

I just did some test with Excel, and it's performing beautifully on my dual core gen2 i5, even though I'm running high memory and CPU utilization because of something else I'm running. As impressive as your machine may be, you've got something else going on.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

, ErwinHeisler wrote

@evildictaitor: Really...

So I guess I have to maintain my:

Intel i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz, 16 GB RAM, SSD SATA 3 - 480GB.

and

use EXCEL 95 on it.

Luckily my Acrobat XI, AutoCAD 2012, Alibre 2012, ... performance better than the previous version.

Thankfully due to Moore's law your computer hardware gets enough faster in any given timeframe to cope with the fact that the software in that timeframe is getting slower (and this is why most people don't notice).

But the key thing here is that if you upgrade your software and never upgrade your hardware, after a while it's gonna get painful.

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

, evildictait​or wrote

*snip*

Thankfully due to Moore's law your computer hardware gets enough faster in any given timeframe to cope with the fact that the software in that timeframe is getting slower (and this is why most people don't notice).

Moore's law is a poor excuse and IMO overly abused.

Edit: "Moore's law states: You're holding it wrong."

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    evildictait​or

, DeathBy​VisualStudio wrote

Moore's law is a poor excuse and IMO overly abused.

Edit: "Moore's law states: You're holding it wrong."

Who uses it as an excuse?

• User profile image
    ErwinHeisler

@evildictaitor:I understand what you said, but it sound like a excuse. Sorry.

It's unforgivable that MS release Excel with a lot of flaw in performance (it's a calculation program for a God sake).

Are the programmers relaxed about computers getting faster and didn't pay attention in theirs code?

Why we users should pay to get a inferior product? MS are losing focus. I'm sad because I used to love this company.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

It's unforgivable that MS release Excel with a lot of flaw in performance (it's a calculation program for a God sake).

The fact that Excel uses strong key generation to secure your document when you click the "I would like to secure my Excel document with strong key generation" is not a performance issue. It's by design. In fact, if it were fast to open large numbers of password protected files, it would be fast to brute force passwords, and someone would log it as an Important bug at Microsoft and tell them to fix it.

If you're talking about some other performance defect in Excel, that's fine, but open a new thread to discuss it. This particular thread discusses slowness in opening password protected documents. This slow down is by design in order to keep your documents safe, and if you don't like it you can turn password protection off.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

, ErwinHeisler wrote

(it's a calculation program for a God sake).

Actually it's not, and using it as such will lead to poor performance. It's spreadsheet software, primarily designed for simple handling and display tasks of business data. If you're doing heavy calculations you want to use something like this, this, this or this.

• User profile image
    kettch

@GoddersUK: I'm greatly disturbed by how much software uses Excel as a calculation engine on the back-end.

• User profile image
    AHeald

A bit late to the table with this but I found this thread from a google search.

I work within a large British college and we have switched to Office 2013. My job is to create and maintain custom reports based within excel so I use VBA the majority of my working time.

Just about every single report I run has at least doubled in processing time since switching from 2010 to 2013. Only one has a similar macro as mentioned here to do with locking/unlocking sheets. The rest are simple data manipulation from imported documents (like loading in a raw data dump and producing a report from it) and they are all a lot slower too.

I can do the usual things such as hiding screen updates whilst running but again still a lot slower. Im on a decent spec computer and also tried on one of the top end i7 we have and still a ton slower.

Quite disappointed with 2013 really.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

@AHeald: Is your problem specifically related to password protected Excel documents? If not, you might want to avoid confusing the issue by posting your problem as a different thread.

• User profile image
    Spreadsheet1

Robwellis

Office 2013 has silently introduced security changes in order to strengthen Excel protection. Excel 2013 uses a SHA-2 class SHA512 algorithm to calculate the hash values for the encryption keys, which cannot be cracked within a reasonable amount of time using the brute force methods applicable up to Excel 2010. 

Have you noticed that sheet protect / unprotect VBA methods run slightly slower in Excel 2013 ? - That's because the new complex encryption algorithm takes longer to compute.

It is impossible to find multiple passwords that share the same hash value in Excel 2013, as was the case with Excel up to 2010 version.

Please read:

www.spreadsheet1.com/sheet-protection-2013.html

• User profile image
    keepITcool

I'll explain why an app would do this:

My app (since 10 years..) lets a user compare two workbooks. In order to read all cell properties without errors I need the passwords of protected sheets. I'll also need the passwords if a user decides to "highlight" results.  My current approach is trying each supplied password (plus space ,x, xx and xxx ) on all worksheets, which is/was convenient. I'll find a different approach for xl15.

My app always works with form plus 2 windows..  the change from MDI to SDI was a nightmare involving a lot of "hooks/subclassing" to get it solved. This is just a minor hiccup. And in my experience xl2013 isn't all that slow except on the UI side: activating window/sheet/range requires up to 250ms until fully rendered.

I've learned a long time ago to avoid screenupdating (as in "select" and "activate") until the code is ready to return to the user. xl15 does a lot more on a simple selection: the "selection" box is animated and each window has a ribbon with a "few" callbacks. A lot happens on a simple window activate and it ain't all pretty.  

• User profile image
    hamer

This issue is significantly impacting the company I work for. They have an order form that does significant data validation.

Each sheet in the workbook is protected so that data entry is only allowed in unlocked cells. The data entered is than validated by macros in worksheet_change events. If the data is found to be invalid the color of the cell is changed and often a comment is added. Unfortunately adding a comment from a macro requires unprotecting the worksheet.

In Office 2010 we just unprotected all the sheets in the workbook since the time taken to unprotect was unnoticeable to the user.

For our potential upgrade to Office 2013 we scaled the protection back to the minimal required (just the sheet being currently modified) and the delay doing the single sheet unprotect to add the comment is significant due to it slowing the data entry process for the user.

Frankly they are not worried about the complexity of the encryption. The only reason for the protection is to protect the structure / formulas / contents of the hidden cells / validation logic to allow the order form to be auto uploaded, without the user accidently corrupting the document.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

@hamer: Which features do you need that require you to use Excel as an input form?

• User profile image
    cbae

, ZippyV wrote

@hamer: Which features do you need that require you to use Excel as an input form?

I remember the good ole days when this exchange was common:

"What kind of database software do you use here?"

"We use Excel."

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

, hamer wrote

This issue is significantly impacting the company I work for. They have an order form that does significant data validation.

Well, your company is going to have to suck it up or find a different solution. Having strong password security on protected excel documents is a FISMA requirement, and losing FISMA compliance would mean that banks can't use Excel, and Microsoft makes a lot of money selling Excel to banks.

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

, evildictait​or wrote

*snip*

Well, your company is going to have to suck it up or find a different solution. Having strong password security on protected excel documents is a FISMA requirement, and losing FISMA compliance would mean that banks can't use Excel, and Microsoft makes a lot of money selling Excel to banks.

Or Microsoft could have made the additional encryption optional...

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    evildictait​or

, DeathBy​VisualStudio wrote

Or Microsoft could have made the additional encryption optional...

It is optional. The Excel document is encrypted only when you ask Excel to protect the document with a password.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.