I feel sorry for this once great company in Schaumburg, Illinois now thrown away by Google after stripping the patents out of it and then dumping it like a used dish rag. Motorola has some of the best engineers. Making good hardware is out, internet and software is where the money is at for now. I did like my flip phone back in the days.
I don't. They never were the same company after the Razr. Seemed like the classic case of crappy management and overpaid CEOs with no vision.
Keep in mind there are/were two Motorolas. One was the phone/mobile biz and the other was everything else. Google bought the former.
@DeathByVisualStudio: Maybe Microsoft's new CEO does the same. Dump Nokia to Samsung after stripping their patent portfolio. Microsoft does not belong in hardware and they know it.
Motorola did invent the cell phone technology we all use today and they have or had some of the best RF hardware people. I don't feel sorry for the company but some people that did do a great job there only to see management ruin there hard work.
Wow, Google bam hammer is strong.
But remember folks, patents have a limited shelf life, then they revert to the public domain.
Now we know what was behind Samsung's exit from notebook PCs .. Google and Samsung are going to get cozy. I'd like to see Lenovo pursue Windows Phone in a big way.
Here I'll show you a comic picture I saw in PTT.
1) Look, this is called pager.
With this others can find you to reply the calls.
2) Look, we've made an invention called mobile phone.
Starting from today you can phone people everywhere.
3) See, we've made the mobile phones so small that maybe we should call them handsets. They can fold and rotate.
Later we'll make billions of people to use it and everyday they'll hear this:
4) Nokia: Your broken handset even cannot kill people by throwing at them (refer to a joke series many years ago on how solid/durable Nokia phones are), how can you challange me with that? In 5 years I'll make your market share falls out the top 10.
Moto: Your brick phone don't even stand a chance to win the market from us. In 5 years I'll make you broke and run naked on the street with only a blanket.
5) (Girl with apple clip on hair in the background)
Moto: I can guess the beginning and not the end... it's not even passed 5 years.
Nokia: Don't take my share of blanket from me.
6) ???: It's such a pity for someone as awesome as you to go bankruptted.
7) Google: With USD 12.5B, will you go with me?
But you're a bit too fat... I can't possibly feed you with your size.
8) Google: Let's start by trimming 4000 employees, to reduce the weight by half.
9) Google: Good. Now move your 20000 patent assets to my place.
10) Google: Well done. Now I have something to tell you...
11) Google: I've sold you to a new buyer. It's not a very good deal as the price is USD 2.9B only.
12) Google: Now I'll introduce your new master to you... Lenovo.
13) (Moto crying.)
14) Hello, Moto.
IBM is selling out to Lenovo also. x86 servers. Next is likely to be their POWER processors http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/suzhou-powercore-technology-co-intends-to-use-ibm-power-technology-for-chip-design-that-pushes-innovation-in-china-241100461.html PowerPC was originally designed by Motorola and IBM.