Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

I have a question about .vb files in C++ express 2010...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Digital​Master37

I am a fairly new programmer and I self teaching myself. I have come quite a ways, but still have a looong way to go of course. My question is regarding creating forms in visual C++ 2010. I am making a simple calculator, but once I double click one of the form objects, it takes me to the .h code rather than the .vb file, any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated. 

• User profile image
    c_str

You have the wrong Visual Studio Express, you want Visual Basic 2010 Express.  

• User profile image
    harlock123

Ummm I think you got the wrong version of express. You wanted the VB version not the C++ version... They are language specific forms of the full IDE that can switch between languages...

• User profile image
    harlock123

, c_str wrote

You have the wrong Visual Studio Express, you want Visual Basic 2010 Express.  

Doh! beat me to it...

• User profile image
    Digital​Master37

Oh I see, thanks a ton!

• User profile image
    Digital​Master37

Why is it this way. Why can't I do this in C++ express?

• User profile image
    spivonious

@DigitalMaster37: Because the Express versions are stripped down to focus on one language/type of application. If you want to do VB, you need VB Express. C# needs C# Express, C++ needs C++ Express, and ASP.NET needs WebDev Express.

• User profile image
    harlock123

I believe you can install more than one version in the same machine... At least I have C# express and VB express installed side by each in a VM here as a test... (I use VS 2010 ultimate for work though)

• User profile image
    Digital​Master37

I just installed VB, thanks to you all for the help. I was able to properly continue the program now. Thanks again!

• User profile image
    AndyC

@harlock123: Yup, not only do the different Express SKU's live happily side by side, but you can also safely mix versions of the same SKU (if you have some need for C# Express 2008 and 2010 for example.)

• User profile image
    harlock123

AndyC

On my dev environment I have VS2003, VS2005, VS2008, VS2010 and the Beta of VS2011 all installed. As the CTO, I support products and developer teams that for one reason or another are all married to various versions of these dev environments. Now that I think about I believe VS2003 lives in a virtual machine. Either way slowly we are pulling all this mess kicking and screaming up to 1 version of VS 2010 ATM, but by the time they all get there we will have to do so again into VS2011.... It never ends...

• User profile image
    kettch

@harlock123: VS11 and VS2010 can round-trip solution and project files, so the transition isn't quite to painful as in the past.

• User profile image
    harlock123

Ahh yes but it does make changes to the solution file going to VS2011, these changes don't harm VS2010 but because Source Vault is not VS2011 compatible I cannot use it just yet on anything that the others don't already have moved to 2011, unless I jump through source control hoops and all that crap, so I have one of everything installed.... 

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.