Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE on Lumia 920 - Go forward

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cheong

So we have a "easy to hit" "Back" button on the case that'll take you back the previous page. But where is the "Forward" button?

Both of my way of holding the phone (eith horizontially or vertically) will let me easily accidentially hit the "Back" button, so I need a equally easy to find "Forward" one.

======

Alternatively, I'll be grateful if WP8 can have that touchpad setting exist on many laptops, that it'll not response to big area of pressure - recognising it's my palm and not finger.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    wkempf

The UI doesn't provide forward navigation, unfortunately. You can work around this with a Favorite, though.

http://www.liveside.net/2011/10/21/tip-how-to-get-forward-and-find-on-page-back-in-ie9-mobile-on-windows-phone-7-5/

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

2 things that vex me whenever I use my wp7 and probably still exist in wp8 is the constant accidental pressing of the search and back buttons.

• User profile image
    wkempf

I don't do it that often anymore, but honestly, I wish these were not capacitive buttons. I don't think there's a single WP8 device that uses physical buttons here.

• User profile image
    dentaku

The Samsung ATIV S has one "real" button. It's an ugly button that makes the phone look even tackier but it's probably harder to accidentally press than the other 2.

, wkempf wrote

I don't do it that often anymore, but honestly, I wish these were not capacitive buttons. I don't think there's a single WP8 device that uses physical buttons here.

• User profile image
    cheong

@wkempf:It works, but not very convenient.

Btw, since the screen of Lumia 920 is very long, I'll be glad if the IE team can add some "quick access" shortcut bar there for users to pin links at. (Mostly for javascript shortcuts like this, as we can already pin websites at Metro.)

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

If you turn the phone upside down, does the back button become a forward button?

• User profile image
    cheong

@JoshRoss:My joke detector is apparently somewhat broken... Is that a joke or what?

Btw, I can tell you that the IE will only tilt to 3 directions, hence won't go upside-down.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

@cheong: I was trying to be funny and don't know anyone with a Windows Phone. I work for a company with hundreds of employees and literally only thee people had one. One of the guys left the company, another ended-up getting a iPhone, and I returned mine after two weeks.

Which makes me wonder, what kind of people are buying these?

-Josh

• User profile image
    cheong

For me, I don't need my smartphone as a game pad, and I do need to read mail containing various Office document formats. These plus the fact that I get a developer license to write WinPhone Apps drives my decision to buy a WinPhone.

However, my mobile carrier only offer data usage tracking Apps for iPhone and Android, so I have to play safe and sign up for "unlimited usage" plan and that's about HKD50 more than the standard one. The government departments and lots of shops doesn't offer App for WinPhone so I don't have access to online Tax processing, query of government offered Wifi locations, etc. It'd take time for WinPhone to catch up for these areas.

EDIT: It's funny that a few sites of HK government still have the line "WinPhone version is available at Zune."

Last modified
  • User profile image
    warren

@cheong: I was trying to be funny and don't know anyone with a Windows Phone. I work for a company with hundreds of employees and literally only thee people had one. One of the guys left the company, another ended-up getting a iPhone, and I returned mine after two weeks.

Which makes me wonder, what kind of people are buying these?

Generic Forum Image

Generic Forum Image

There was a big lineup at the Nokia store in Shanghai the other day when the Lumia 920 went on sale for the first time.  They sold out in 2 hours.  That's just one example.... they've been selling very well all over the world.

I've had my Lumia 920 for a month now and it is hands-down the best smartphone I've ever used.  Everyone who tries it out, even folks who have a Galaxy S III, is shocked at how fast IE is.  I will agree that the back/forward situation within IE isn't the greatest (personally I think swiping would work best) but a system-wide back button is a great idea, especially when moving back and forth between a few apps.

• User profile image
    elmer

, ScanIAm wrote

2 things that vex me whenever I use my wp7 and probably still exist in wp8 is the constant accidental pressing of the search and back buttons.

I also find it a total PITA - particularly given that I have Google nominated as my default search provider. I am constantly brushing the search button and having Bing take over the phone.

I don't need no stinking search button on the phone itself, especially since the trend is towards in-app search anyway.

What I would like to see is for that button (or perhaps all 3 ?) to be configurable, so I could turn that into a forward button if I wanted to.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.