Coffeehouse Thread

57 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

If you had $100 billion, what would you do?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MasterPi

@Maddus Mattus:Why buy a country?

Build a death star.

• User profile image
    giovanni

, Ray7 wrote

@giovanni: I really don't see the point in giving a dividend. It's not as if they need to attract stock buyers.

Me neither

• User profile image
    giovanni

@BasSmiley

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    giovanni

@raymond:What would you do to accomplish these goals?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

@giovanni: The give dividends because the shareholders own the company and it's their money!

This is what Warren Buffet did-- buy enough shares in a company and then demand that the company hands out the funds that they're sitting on to the shareholders who own it.

Herbie

• User profile image
    giovanni

@Dr Herbie: Well, they could invest in other technologies or brands.

I think a company can also donate to charity: investors might not like it and the board would have to approve it, but I think that is an option.

More realistically: I seriousely thing they should invest in their own manufacturing. Outsourching to Asia has been the current development model for some times, but is it the future?

• User profile image

@giovanni:

As far as Asia is concerned, why would you pay a CS major in CA or WA or get foreign nationals here with a h1b vs setting up shop in China?

the market is here. the marketing is here.

the work? doesn't matter where.

There are plenty of CS students at South China Normal University who will write code in a Walmart style international pipeline.

shipping code is free and the IP is worthless in China and India anyway so who cares if they steal it.

Almost every programmer i worked with in CA immediately blows their huge money on a fancy car. What kind of improvement for society is that anyway?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

, Maddus Mattus wrote

I would just show up at work my last job in a Bugatti Veyron.

FTFY

• User profile image
    Bass

Paying dividends might backfire, because it is an act of a "mature company". Does Apple want that image? It seems like Tim Cook was getting somewhat defensive about the idea.

• User profile image
    cbae

, Bass wrote

Paying dividends might backfire, because it is an act of a "mature company". Does Apple want that image? It seems like Tim Cook was getting somewhat defensive about the idea.

It's a generally perceived that a company that pays dividends and buys back stock is a company that has run out of ideas. At least that's how many people perceived Microsoft when it started issuing a dividend and implemented a stock buy-back program.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

$100 billion is pointless.

It will bring more problems that it will solve.

@MasterPie: I'm still looking for a Darth!

@ZippyV: Thank you, but I prefer it my way Smiley

Had a project manager at my desk once yelling at me about some deadline he agreed on, told him that I have a couple of million dollars in the bank of some idea I sold to Microsoft, and that I didnt need to put up with his crap, so if he was not happy with me, just replace me I dont care, I'm rich!

Took him two hours of googlingwithbingsearch to figure out I was flatout lying, it actually was a couple of billions, j/k, meanwhile I fixed the issue.

It would be so cool to still show up at your pathetic job, but with whole different attitude. Wink

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

, MasterPie wrote

@Maddus Mattus:Why buy a country?

Build a death star.

From what I've read, it would be £541,261 trillion just for the raw materials.

-Josh

• User profile image
    giovanni

, 01001011 wrote

@giovanni:

As far as Asia is concerned, why would you pay a CS major in CA or WA or get foreign nationals here with a h1b vs setting up shop in China?

the market is here. the marketing is here.

the work? doesn't matter where.

There are plenty of CS students at South China Normal University who will write code in a Walmart style international pipeline.

shipping code is free and the IP is worthless in China and India anyway so who cares if they steal it.

Almost every programmer i worked with in CA immediately blows their huge money on a fancy car. What kind of improvement for society is that anyway?

Where the work is does matter a lot actually. I wasn't thinking about CS majors, I was thinkging about the actual manufacturing of stuff.

Besides it is very interesting to be closer to manufacturing.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

@JoshRoss: If you have the army to create a death star, you don't have to pay, you just take.

• User profile image
    cheong

@Maddus Mattus:You assume that the materials are already there and you just need to take them, don't you?

I think most of the necessary materials are still sleeping in the crust and waiting to be extracted.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

@cheong: If I have an army of 1 million clones with a million more on the way, I can assume anything is mine for the taking.

The dark side is so much more fun!

• User profile image
    Ray7

, Bass wrote

Agreed. I can't see a reason for it when your share price is heading for $800.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

, giovanni wrote

@Dr Herbie: Well, they could invest in other technologies or brands.

I think a company can also donate to charity: investors might not like it and the board would have to approve it, but I think that is an option.

The board are legally obliged to keep the company in good faith for the benefit of the shareholders. They are therefore not allowed to give money to charity without either

A) Explicit approval from the majority of shareholders via a shareholder vote.

B) Demonstrate to the shareholders how such a donation is in the best interests of the company.

If the board perform actions that are not in good faith for the benefit of shareholders, they are committing a federal offence. If they do so in good faith, but it is to the detriment of the shareholders, then the shareholders can still remove their bonus, pay or fire them via a general shareholder vote - and getting kicked out of a company for mismanagement by the shareholders will end that executive's career forever.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.