Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I'm liking the new Nokia Lumia 900 but the 800 is nice too

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    dentaku

The only things I can think that I might not like... (and they're just little things)

I probably don't need such a big phone.

I don't care about 4G LTE so the Lumia 800 might have better battery life even though it has a smaller battery.

I like that the Lumia 900 has a larger screen but somehow it doesn't seem as impressive when it's not slightly curved like on the 800, but who knows, maybe it's a better screen than to 800 but nobody knows yet because they haven't had a chance to actually test one.

• User profile image
    elmer

I think the physical size of the 800 is pretty much perfect, and I prefer it over the larger 900, but the 800 has a few feature shortcomings that make me hesitant.

I definitely find the lack of a forward facing camera on the 800 to be strange. The 710 has one, the 900 has one, but it's missing on the 800 ?

Last time I bought Nokia (my current phone) was a long time ago, because the thing has proven to be almost indestructable. I was hesitant then about a few missing features, but went ahead. No sooner did I, and Nokia released an incremental update that addressed every one of my concerns... Doh!

Perhaps Nokia already have an 800i planned.

• User profile image
    cbae

@elmer: I'm pretty sure that the 710 doesn't have a FFC either. As for large size display, I have an HD7, and I can attest that with a phone that large, it's an absolute PITA to swipe/touch the screen along the edge nearest your thumb when holding the device with one hand. With a smaller device, you can anchor the phone in the middle of your palm with your fingers wrapped around the far edge, which gives your thumb freedom to go (nearly) anywhere on the display with the device is still firmly gripped. Unless you have banana hands like Tony Robbins, it's kind of tough to hold a device like the HD7 (and most likely the Lumina 900) this way.

FWIW, Nokia was smart and placed the power button on the side (as Samsung does), which makes unlocking the device much easier on larger devices.

• User profile image
    Blue Ink

@dentaku: the display looks awesome, which fixes one of the very few things I don't like about the 800. On the other hand, it would seem they moved the WP buttons closer to the lower edge of the phone, thus undoing on of the things I liked most. Oh, well...

• User profile image
    cbae

, Blue Ink wrote

@dentaku: the display looks awesome, which fixes one of the very few things I don't like about the 800. On the other hand, it would seem they moved the WP buttons closer to the lower edge of the phone, thus undoing on of the things I liked most. Oh, well...

They were probably trying to squeeze a large display into a smaller case, so there's not much bezel on it.

• User profile image
    dentaku

, elmer wrote

Perhaps Nokia already have an 800i planned.

I'd love to see an 800 with a front facing camera. That would be perfect but I guess if I had to choose from the 2 I would still go with the 900 because of the extra screen size and the front facing camera.

Wouldn't it be great if MS allowed screens with 1600X960 resolution (or that such a thing was possible in less than 5 inches) because it's exactly twice the height and width of the official 800X480 and therefore exactly the same aspect ratio. I don't know how fonts are rendered in WP7 but I'm assuming that they would just scale up perfectly like vector graphics do and make use of the extra PPI.

• User profile image
    chicago_mike

Looks like the 800 will be sold in Microsoft stores, unlocked, and the 900 will be att exclusive. Along with the titan II. Meaning We will see more windows phones for Verizon and those other two if they don't fade away..

the 900 looks like a great size for a wifi controller app.... Cool

• User profile image
    felix9

, Blue Ink wrote

@dentaku: the display looks awesome, which fixes one of the very few things I don't like about the 800.

remember what Joe Marini said ? "I'd like a larger screen too." Devil

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

I just got one today - finally, a Windows Phone 7.1 ... time is ticking for the iPhone 3G the Lumia 's charging up.  Smiley  Passing my iPhone unto my fiance.

• User profile image
    cbae

, Richard.Hein wrote

Passing my iPhone unto my fiance.

Why do you hate her so much? Wink

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

Resurrecting an old thread, but I guess still relevant...

As for LTE reducing battery time... Not sure how accurate this is, but supposedly some studies have shown that you can get better battery life with faster connections, even though they use more power.

How so?

Well, with a faster connection, downloading the same web page is faster, allowing the radio to go into low-power state sooner. For example, if the radio takes twice as much power, but if the page loads 5 times faster, then overall you will be using less power.

I'm not sure how true that is but that is what I heard.

• User profile image

http://goo.gl/6UFVw

The investors have fled.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/05/09/businessinsidernokia-lumia-900-sale.DTL

Even authors who try to be positive about it, end their stories with negativity. The headlines are against Nokia ATM.

They're still in free fall, and even if the Lumia 900 was the best phone on the planet(and it's not) it can't stop that. Combine that with the fact that the video in this post was from January 9, 2012, almost 5 months ago. The 900 is getting stale, and it never really peaked.

Right now, I think Nokia could release a phone with Windows 8 RT and it wouldn't matter past a 15 minutes of fame.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot
  • User profile image
    cheong

@1001001:Indeed, as I've said in a previous thread, the current lack of Apps in Windows Phone market makes it inferior product even if it has better hardware and OS.

Why does they still want to increase the cost of development for individual developers remains mysterious to me. If those in charge can't get developers consider porting their Apps in other platforms to WinPhone market, the marketing effort is doomed to fail.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image

@Sven Groot: Ultimately it would be nice for somebody to exclaim, BUT NO! Nokia and Microsoft are going to hit a home run next week with WP7 because of x,y,z research then for a lucky trader to buy tons of NOK and for it to go back up to 30 PPS. It's at a 52 week low right now with nothing to keep it from sliding down further.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

So far, I absolutely love this phone.  It wins for best first impression:  It is fast, intuitive, all the software works nicely together ... just awesome.  Smiley   Should be a huge success.  A lack of apps means opportunity.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

So far, I absolutely love this phone.  It wins for best first impression:  It is fast, intuitive, all the software works nicely together ... just awesome.  Smiley   Should be a huge success.  A lack of apps means opportunity.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

@Richard.Hein: you only need one app on the phone,.. *hint* *hint* !

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.