Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Intel says: Bay-Trail == $200 Win8 devices

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • elmer

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57579935-92/windows-8-touch-devices-to-drop-to-$200-says-intel-ceo/

If you've been following the specs of BT, you already know that it has a lot of promise.

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=9602732#post9602732

The big unkowns were battery-life and price.

Now the price looks like being a winner, that just leaves battery-life.

If Intel can pull this off, and allow production of $200 Win8 tablets, I wonder where this leaves WinRT ?

• DeathBy​VisualStudio

That's great news. It puts Microsoft back in the drivers seat on price. Now for those 7 inch tablets all they need is a decent dock (or some other magic) to give them easy access to mouse, keyboard, and a larger display when they need it (i.e. for writing). That would be great for students but also a viable alternative for some businesses. With a $200 tablet, $150 display, $50 dock, $30 mouse, and $30 keyboard and you've just upgraded to W8RT for $460. Plus you get the benefit of bringing the tablet to meetings, etc. Now all it comes down to is apps, apps, apps...

If they can port the WP bits to WinRT you have an instant 7 inch phablet (that can also run Office). I've hauled around a 7 inch tablet before I picked up my Note II and it was totally doable as a daily driver.

Now all they have to do is find a similar advantage on the W8 Pro front and they may be able to salvage this whole W8 strategy.

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified
  • elmer

, DeathBy​VisualStudio wrote

Now all they have to do is find a similar advantage on the W8 Pro front and they may be able to salvage this whole W8 strategy.

I thought that the point of Atom (Bay-Trail) is that it's x86-64, meaning that we are talking Win8-Pro.

• DeathBy​VisualStudio

, elmer wrote

*snip*

I thought that the point of Atom (Bay-Trail) is that it's x86-64, meaning that we are talking Win8-Pro.

Doh!

Jeeze at $200 for Pro that solves the Pro problem but makes WindowsRT irrelevant unless they start selling $100 ARM tablets. The only place left for ARM will be in Win(P?)RT phones.

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified
  • Ian2

Wow, $200 - that's £200 right?

• Bas

They have no choice. Every moderately interesting laptop is at least $500. That's the price of a freaking 3D printer. If they want consumers to buy PC's instead of tablets, they need to offer consumers an actually compelling PC to buy that doesn't cost twice as much as a reasonably good tablet. This is way overdue.

Now let's hope they're not talking about crappy netbooks here but actual laptops. Something like the Lenovo Yoga, but not priced so ridiculously high.

• evildictait​or

, Ian2 wrote

Wow, $200 - that's £200 right?

Don't be silly. There's a factor of two value difference between GBPs and USDs.

So 400GBP.

• Sven Groot

I'm curious how a chip can reduce the cost of the screen itself.

• Ian2

@Sven Groot:Generally screens are worth a lot less if they are chipped.

Big Smile

• wkempf

@Sven Groot: There are plenty of Good quality 7" tablets at the $200 price point, so the cost of the display hasn't been what's kept Win8 devices from getting there.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.