Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Just migrated to VS2012...what's up with the Flat look and feel ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Srikanth_t

While I like all the 2012 overall.....really ? All capital letters in the Main menu, flat buttons with no depth....what is this ? pre windows 3.0 world ?

• elmer

It's Modern

• Proton2

You should've seen the pre-release version. Expressionless

• kettch

VS has an interface? Mine currently consists of a giant wall of code and little else. Tongue Out

• DeathBy​VisualStudio

Less is more...more or less anyway.

• CaRDiaK

I love 2012. Every part of it oooses awesome for me. It's a shame when I get in work and have to switch back to 2010, but that won't be for long! Can't wait.

We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done.
    Last modified
  • Srikanth_t

@CaRDiaK:  Agree that the features, productivity, etcetra are awesome. It's just the UI that are annoying to me.... especially the all CAPS menu bar. That's frikkin' lame.

Is the entire industry that has 3D gradient buttons everywhere doing it wrong ? If 2-D flat cartoons is really that cool, Pixar would have never been born. 

• kettch

@Srikanth_t: Ouch, right in the childhood. I grew up on 2D cartoons of much higher quality than most of the drivel produced nowadays.

Get off my lawn!

• ScottWelker

, kettch wrote

Get off my lawn!

LOL

• Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• exoteric

, Srikanth_t wrote

Is the entire industry that has 3D gradient buttons everywhere doing it wrong ? If 2-D flat cartoons is really that cool, Pixar would have never been born. 

I don't need my code editor and symbol pushing interface to be Pixar-inspired.

(As much as I love graphics.)

• Richard.Hein

You'll adapt.  Then VS2010 looks annoying after a while.  Typical experience, really.  Also, they stuck a blue theme back in the latest update, so you can get blue back ... but I tried it and honestly don't like it ... rather have the dark theme or the grey theme personally.

• DCMonkey

Generic Forum Image

• elmer

, jinx101 wrote

*snip*  

I could be using Office 2000 personally. 

Not if you are using an Exchange server released in the last decade.

• DeathBy​VisualStudio

, Richard.Hein wrote

You'll adapt.  Then VS2010 looks annoying after a while.  Typical experience, really.  Also, they stuck a blue theme back in the latest update, so you can get blue back ... but I tried it and honestly don't like it ... rather have the dark theme or the grey theme personally.

As much as I hate on VS 2012 I do appreciate they went the extra mile to bring back the blue theme. There some hope in that.

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified
  • Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• PopeDai

, elmer wrote

*snip*

Not if you are using an Exchange server released in the last decade.

Exchange 2003 supports Outlook 2000, as does Exchange 2007 if you configure it right (source: personal experience).

The compatibility matrix on TechNet is a bit inaccurate.:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff728623(v=exchg.141).aspx

• elmer

@PopeDai:Yes, I was actually being flippant, and simply making a general point that as Exchange and Outlook versions get further apart, the ability to support them becomes more difficult, as newer tech is implemented and older tech is phased out.

Generalizing (and dependent on your requirements) this works both ways... newer Exchange gradually drops support for older Outlook, and newer Outlook gradually drops support for older Exchange (e.g. Office 2010 won't support Exchange 5.5)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.