Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Kinect for PC cost 250 USD?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

Is it a better HW? With that price, most people would still use the X360 model and use the open source driver.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    figuerres

Seems to me like another sign that MS has lost all grasp of the real world.

I just can not see anyone buying the pc version unless they stop making the current xbox model and make a new xbox version that uses some proprietary interface.  possibly the next xbox we might see that happen ??

I have to check that CES thing, did they say they do not want to do keynotes or are they not going to be a CES after this one ?

I wonder why they even gave a keynote at all this year ?  some kind of contract ?  or just more goofy lack of brains ?

• User profile image
    Blue Ink

@figuerres: the way I undestand it, the main point of the new sensor is "near mode", which might provide a viable alternative to touch on the desktop (where touch doesn't work that great to begin with). It's unlikely that the optics of the old sensor would work well.

If that works, I wouldn't be surprised if sensors were integrated in PCs and laptops sometime in the future, with the obvious consequences on price.

• User profile image
    figuerres

$100 for a change in distance ??   Whaaaaaaaaaat ?  

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

$100 for the fact that MS doesn't get money from Kinect games/software sold on PC, which they do for XBox.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

It was explained here that the price reflects the fact that Kinect for PC is not subsidized by Xbox sales, Xbox Live membership sales and game sales.

Seems like a perfectly valid reason to me.

"The ability to sell Kinect for Xbox 360 at its current price point is in large part subsidized by consumers buying a number of Kinect games, subscribing to Xbox LIVE, and making other transactions associated with the Xbox 360 ecosystem."

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

It is rather interesting, though, that psychologically, we feel that $250 is a price point where we might challenge the idea of buying a Kinect. 

We have a device that makes it arguably possible to live in the world of 'Minority Report' and we decide "nah, it costs as much as a month of Lattes".

• User profile image
    MasterPi

, ScanIAm wrote

It is rather interesting, though, that psychologically, we feel that $250 is a price point where we might challenge the idea of buying a Kinect. 

It's not just that it's $250, though. The price also went up from $149. 

Also, no one assumes that the device will make their lives that much cooler. Maybe in a few years when the software is prevalent and all building blocks are there to make such scenarios possible will the Kinect be directly seen as the vital component for "Minority Report." Right now, there really aren't any software suites out there that will let you say "Oh, in order to go Minority Report with this software, we need to buy a Kinect." I think when there are actual tangible titles (out of research) out there, then the $250 can be better justified.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

That's it? A near sensor? Why not just buy the Niko Zoom thing and use the free open source API? Especially researchers already invested great deal of time and effort on the existing API. And they already spend their money on the device.

It is like buying X360 controller or PC controller, duh, ofc X360 because it works on both X360 and PC. Not even sure what PC controller can do, but, let's face it, I don't want to waste my money to try it out.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    BitFlipper

Once again people seem to miss the whole point that the Xbox version is being subsidized by the Xbox ecosystem.

People also seem to forget that before Kinect, you would have needed to pay thousands of $ for equivalent tech.

But then some people sure feel they are entitled to one costing $150...

• User profile image
    magicalclick

@BitFlipper:

so, tell me, if you already have X360 version (assume you support MS enough), would you get a PC version within 3 months after launch, knowing the HW is not much different and you can use free open source API which the research community has build upon?

The focus is not the price, the focus is the HW does not bring any extra value to compete the existing product. If it has higher resolution (at least 4 times and auto-real-optical-zoom), I would totally consider it.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    BitFlipper

@magicalclick:

First of all, yes I already have an Xbox 360, including a Kinect. And no, I probably would not buy a Kinect for PC. That is unless I plan to do some development with it. In that case I probably would buy the PC version as well since $250 isn't going to bankrupt me and don't believe MS owes me anything.

In addition, from what I understand, the open source APIs are not nearly as complete and well developed as the MS APIs, so I certainly would not waste my time on it. I'm willing to pay $250 and get a decent, officially supported API in the process. An API that isn't going to be abandoned 6 months later when people lose interest like you see so many times with OSS projects.

Does that answer your question?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.