Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Lossing my chatting charm by new Live Messenger 2011 emoticons.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    nmarcel

It was so funny to chat in Messenger with those lovely good old emoticons.

But today, after switching to Messenger 2011, these icons were changed for a new set of very ugly ones (except by the ninja, maybe).

I was very dissapointed by this change and would like to know where (an icon lib?) can i find the previous set to recreate the emoticons one by one, at least.

Anybody agrees and can help?

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I agree entirely. The old set of simple faces to show different emotions were actually some of the better ones on the market - the new set are some of the worst ones. But Live Messenger is turning into a giant cartoon product aimed at young teens and those with mild mental handcaps. It is the next ICQ and might be dead if it was owned by anyone else already.

I'm using Skype which is also a terrible product - but the "least bad" alternative on the market at the moment. Interestingly a market Apple might be entering to a larger degree - so maybe we will see a big shakeup like the browser ways (wishful thinking?).

• User profile image
    Bas

I also agree entirely. I despise their hateful little faces.

It doesn't help that I despise the entirety of the new Live Messenger and its weird insistence that all settings now have to occur via some unwieldy website.

Skype is a disaster and IM clients like Pidgin and whatnot are all too bare-bones to be of use. Calling, videochatting or even sending files or pictures to somebody on Live Messenger using one of those alternatives is either unwieldy or impossible.

I'd look to Apple for something to shake things up, but it'd undoubtedly be integrated with iTunes/Safari or some other product I don't want, and the PC version will undoubtedly be terrible.

• User profile image
    CKurt

@nmarcel: I got used to them. Look I alway hated the Smiley smilie in messenger it always gave me a sence of people saying "yeah yeah, bla bla bla" to my words. The new one is more polite in my sencere.

Also the Tongue Out smilie is way more explicit. I kind of like them.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

On a slightly related note are we seeing the traditional c9 smilies back, or did you insert the images into your post manually? Big Smile

Nope, they're back! Big Smile

Thanks guys!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

, Bas wrote

I also agree entirely. I despise their hateful little faces.

It doesn't help that I despise the entirety of the new Live Messenger and its weird insistence that all settings now have to occur via some unwieldy website.

Skype is a disaster and IM clients like Pidgin and whatnot are all too bare-bones to be of use. Calling, videochatting or even sending files or pictures to somebody on Live Messenger using one of those alternatives is either unwieldy or impossible.

I'd look to Apple for something to shake things up, but it'd undoubtedly be integrated with iTunes/Safari or some other product I don't want, and the PC version will undoubtedly be terrible.

You don't have to use WLM2011; you can force a Vista/Win7 machine to use WLM14; just download the WLM14 installer for XP, let it install, then block the WLM2011 update on Windows Update.

• User profile image
    Bas

@W3bbo: Oh, I did. I'm afraid it won't last long though, because it looks like file transfers between people with different versions aren't supported anymore.

• User profile image
    nmarcel

I found them!  look at...

http://elouai.com/msn-emoticons.zip

The good old ones!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.