Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Lumia 928... Really ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Srikanth_t

Lumia 928....really ? really ?

10.2 mm width and 160 grams. "Big dissapointment" is an understatement. Oh ...and software stays the same... no special service or app or anything.

And don't get me started on Windows Phone 8. Missing custom fields, street view maps, temple run2, temple run oz, flat UI, jeez.

Only the offline maps are the compelling thing.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

, Srikanth_t wrote

Lumia 928....really ? really ?

Yes. Did you think they'd make only one phone a year?

The rest of your post has to do with the software, which doesn't need to change for every hardware release, and thus, isn't really relevant.

However,

Missing custom fields

what exactly do you mean by this?

• User profile image
    PopeDai

I understand the 928 is a derivative from the 920 as something for non-GSM carriers. The fact it has slightly different specifications is going to lead to consumer confusion, but I guess the CDMA carriers petitioned Nokia into making their models somehow "better" than the GSM models.

Personally I'd have preferred it if Nokia had a nomenclature like "Lumia 920 CDMA" or "Lumia 820 for T-Mobile".

• User profile image
    MasterPi

, PopeDai wrote

Personally I'd have preferred it if Nokia had a nomenclature like "Lumia 920 CDMA" or "Lumia 820 for T-Mobile".

AFAIK, Verizon had a crappier Nokia WP while AT&T got the shiny 920. The 928 could be just be for making Verizon users feel like that they got the latest and greatest rather than a late phone model.

• User profile image
    Srikanth_t

May be microsoft should pay the individual developers of popular apps to make the windows store versions.  Maps needs to be on par with the competition (g***le Smiley ). Unified notifications center, workspaces for enterprise and personal, are needed. Full videoconferencing with app sharing...(more for surface tablets).

• User profile image
    Srikanth_t

, MasterPie wrote

*snip*

Yes. Did you think they'd make only one phone a year?

The rest of your post has to do with the software, which doesn't need to change for every hardware release, and thus, isn't really relevant.

However,

*snip*

what exactly do you mean by this?

Unless any recent updates changed it...you can't label contact fields the way you like in windows phone...can you ?

• User profile image
    kettch

This is just the same BS that gets pulled by the carriers every time a manufacturer makes a new phone. They've each got to have their own variant. Nothing to see here.

• User profile image
    SheldonS

The lack of decent Windows Phones as compared to the Android offerings on Verizon is why I have not switched to a Windows Phone.  Part of me wants to switch, but when I look at the specs for say, the DNA, I lean that route.  Then I wish there were a Windows Phone on par with the DNA.

Sad

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    elmer

, Srikanth_t wrote

And don't get me started on Windows Phone 8. ... flat UI, jeez.

Don't be holding your breath for the next iPhone upgrade. If Jony Ives gets his way, iOS will also go flat UI.

• User profile image
    svelasquez1​23

Is OP upset that its not an upgrade to 920 or just complaining about Windows Phones?  And what is a custom field?

• User profile image
    elmer

, PopeDai wrote

I understand the 928 is a derivative from the 920 as something for non-GSM carriers.

Yep, essentially a 920 +CDMA and a few other tweaks, including an AMOLED display and Xenon flash.

Good comparison photos on the following page.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-928-lumia-920-better-and-verizon

It is actually a different size & weight to the 920, but otherwise much the same.

• User profile image
    Jim Young

, svelasquez1‚Äč23 wrote

Is OP upset that its not an upgrade to 920 or just complaining about Windows Phones?  And what is a custom field?

I don't get it either. Most folks in the tech blogs I read think its a pretty good phone and the camera is excellent. As for custom fields, there is a large set of stock fields in the people hub plus you can add anything you want in a note field. 

• User profile image
    cheong

FYI, Temple Run exist on WindowsMarketplace as Win8 App, so likely it'll be there.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    cbae

The 928 is thinner and lighter than the 920, which was considered too bulky by those that seriously need to go to the gym.

• User profile image
    dahat

, PopeDai wrote

I don't think the carrier marketing folks would like that.

Go back to the launch of Windows Phone 8... AT&T exclusively got the Lumia 820 (and advertised it with that word)... while Verizon had a very very very similar but not identical phone known as the 822.

If you haven't noticed it yet...carriers in the US like to tout exclusivity of this or that device... and having an identically named & speced phone takes away from that ability.

• User profile image
    elmer

So, perhaps the 925 is the Lumia that the OP expected to see. 127.5mm x 70.5mm x 8.5mm (smaller all around than the 920) and 139 grams (about 25% lighter than the 920).

I actually prefer the look of the 920's plastic body, and think that the 'premium' metallic thing of the 925 is like chrome bumper-bars, but each to their own.

• User profile image
    kettch

@elmer: Metal finishes tend to be more prone to scratching, or at least showing scratches. The 925 also owes it's slim profile to a lack of inductive charging.

I've never met one, but I'm wondering if there are people who jump carriers every two years just for phones? It seems absurd (says the guy who's bought phones from overseas to get around carrier exclusivity Tongue Out).

• User profile image
    PopeDai

, kettch wrote

I've never met one, but I'm wondering if there are people who jump carriers every two years just for phones? It seems absurd (says the guy who's bought phones from overseas to get around carrier exclusivity Tongue Out).

That's more likely given how easy it is to port a number from one provider to another - even a few years ago this made it practically impossible to switch carriers.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.