Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Microsoft makes me smile (VS2012 JavaScript support)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    fanbaby

Who said no good things come out of MSFT. To get intellisense in VS, they run the code Smiley 

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2012/DEV308

A few things:

1. This works perfect in theory, i guess we'll wait for reports on how it work in practice
    2. Real geeks dont need no sti-king intellisense (just kidding)
    3. Me envy (i do run windows, but not going to use this). I'll wait until there's web-based version of this (preferebly open-source Wink, which means i'll wai a long time, and my students will wait too)
    4. EDIT: Microsoft is fuc-n serious about JS!! Yay
    5. The speaker is awesome, such a fuild talk!!!! (a few more months to work at Microsoft before someone snags him, and let him work on OS things Tongue Out)
  • User profile image
    dotnetwise

Now, since you are enjoying it, I want to share a thought of how you can make it even better!

In order to further extend `VS2012 Javascript Intellisense` I have created this project on Github https://github.com/dotnetwise/VS2012-Javascript-Intellisense

Package also on Nuget

This enables more icons to your javascript code members e.g `namespace`, `class`, `enum`, `interface`, fields by their type and even showing which methods come from `function's prototype` and even common shared from `Object.prototype`!

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Awesome, the one thing I always disliked about javascript development is the lacking intellisense!

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

, fanbaby wrote

To get intellisense in VS, they run the code Smiley 

How did Microsoft solve the halting problem?

• User profile image
    vesuvius

, Maddus Mattus wrote

Awesome, the one thing I always disliked about javascript development is the lacking intellisense!

Does this mean you will get Visual Studio refactoring as well, I thought the lack of intellisense was due to the language allowing anything to be assigned to anything?

I don't think this will compare to anything a statically typed language can offer.

• User profile image
    Bass

@evildictaitor:

Why would they need to solve the halting problem?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

, Bass wrote

@evildictaitor:

Why would they need to solve the halting problem?

In order to run your function and inspect the type of the result for intellisense to then obtain meaningful information from the returned object.

• User profile image
    Bass

@evildictaitor:

You can just have it run for N amount of seconds where N is some finite number, and it is no longer requires solving the halting problem. And that's only in functions where the return type is impossible to predict without executing it, which are probably not very common.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

@Bass: It's also not perfect (aka, not all functions/members are listed). It's like an approximation, which is why it's possible.

• User profile image
    PopeDai

I'll state that Visual Studio has had JScript and VBScript IntelliSense support since at least VS2003 (it's very useful when writing shell scripts). It wasn't perfect, but it did support named functions, variables, and a limited number of return values (e.g. it knew what CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") returned).

• User profile image
    cheong

@PopeDai:Well, it did support some, but very limited (at least up to VS2010).

I do hope they can resolve link tag with Url.Content() path, though, so that I did need to add the "@if (false)" workaround to make the intellisense work for me. Very inconvenient and waste lots of storage for a large project.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.