@wastingtimewithforums: Those are all very reasonable points, and even though I mostly actually like Windows 8 and Office 2013, I would not be opposed to those changes (do realize that none of them are likely as easy to make as you think; the QA and localization that MS would have to put into providing a start menu with the ability to launch metro apps is likely far more than most of the third parties providing such functionality now).

There are a few points where you do run into the principle of least surprise, though. While being shunted back to metro Photos when you click a JPEG on the desktop can be jarring, would it really be less confusing if Windows now had two separate sets of file associations for each environment? And at least Windows 8 does provide you with a very easy way to change the default the first time you open such a file (or any time you open them after new programs capable of opening them have been added, which is something I greatly appreciate and lessens the impact of association stealing).

But other things are things I've pointed out myself too, like the apparently coin-toss way the split between the metro Settings app and the desktop Control Panel was decided. I whole-heartedly agree that anyone using a tablet should be able to make all relevant changes from the metro settings. It does have one problem, though: requiring metro users to use the desktop CP is bad. Requiring desktop users to use the metro Settings is bad. Duplicating all configuration UI in both places is also bad. Ultimately if the metro UI was a bit more integrated into the desktop experience I don't think people would mind if the Settings app gradually replaced the old control panel.

If more of your feedback was like this (and also less repetitive), people wouldn't have as much of a problem with your conduct on this forum.