MS next console machine has been detailed and it looks like it'll lag behind their rival, Sony's PS4. What surprises the most is the rumor that the OS will use up 3GB of memory, that's like 5 Windows Vistas running concurrently. It also seems that MS is putting more emphasis on being more than a gaming machine, something Sony did early in PS3's life and failed miserably at. Nintendo also appealed to a difference audience and failed later in its life-cycle. So what do you think? will we see a new version of XNA (C++ version) with the release of this machine?
- x64 Architecture
- 8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)
- each CPU thread has its own 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 http://www.neowin.net/news/next-gen-xbox-specs-reportedly-leak#" rel="nofollow">data cache
- each module of four CPU cores has a 2 MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4 MB of L2 cache
- each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources
- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock
- custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor
- 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads
- each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle
- at peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second
High-fidelity Natural User Interface (NUI) sensor is always present
- Storage and Memory:
- 8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)
- 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)
- from the GPU's perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec.
- Hard drive is always present
- 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive"