Coffeehouse Thread

40 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Nokia 2520 vs iPad Air

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian2

Interesting spec comparison - Nokia wins hands down? ... except for all important weight ...

Generic Forum Image

http://microsoft-news.com/nokia-lumia-2520-vs-apple-ipad-air-specs-comparison/

• User profile image
    TheJoe

Surface, hands down.  But, people like boxes with fruit on them for some reason.

• User profile image
    Srikanth_t

It is indeed amazing how people could be like sheep.

• User profile image
    cbae

It doesn't matter how light or thin it is. It's still too bulky to be used while being carried around in your hand(s). Really, the only sensible uses cases for a tablet of this size isn't going to benefit much from 137 grams lower mass and certainly not from a 1.4 mm in thinness.

This is the kind of meaningless technological advancements that I abhor. Market acceptance (and eventual expectation) of crap like this is going to mean that some innovation that truly matters is going to get ignored.

• User profile image
    kettch

@cbae: I thought it was interesting how it's not a size that's well suited for holding in one hand, and they've gotten rid of most of the bezel that made it possible to grip with a single hand.

• User profile image
    cbae

, kettch wrote

@cbae: I thought it was interesting how it's not a size that's well suited for holding in one hand, and they've gotten rid of most of the bezel that made it possible to grip with a single hand.

Apple's never been about usability. It's all about how purty it looks. There's a reason why TV remotes are big, fat and round. Round things fit better in your hand. This trend toward making devices ultra-thin is just getting ridiculous. It was one thing to make things thinner to reduce weight, but now they're making devices thin for the sake of thinness.

• User profile image
    kettch

@cbae: Is the reason for the thinness was purely to bring down the bulkiness of the phone + case. Or are the cases necessary to make the phone large enough to use? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

, kettch wrote

@cbae: Is the reason for the thinness was purely to bring down the bulkiness of the phone + case. Or are the cases necessary to make the phone large enough to use? Tongue Out

++

My Samsung ATIV S Neo is super thin and super light and I'd be dropping it every time I tried to super use it if I didn't buy a bulky rubberized case for it to give it some heft.

• User profile image
    fanbaby

Every one here said: surface >> iPad air

Talk about the Cuppertino reality distortion field... 

(The same holds for android fans with similar idiotic claims, and i don't have a single device with a fruit on it)

EDIT: nor do I want to get one Smiley

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

, fanbaby wrote

It's not an RDF if it's genuinely better Wink...

IMHO I don't think the Surface (Pro, at least) is really in any way comparable with an iPad, it would be better to compare it to a MacBook.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

, ScanIAm wrote

*snip*

++

My Samsung ATIV S Neo is super thin and super light and I'd be dropping it every time I tried to super use it if I didn't buy a bulky rubberized case for it to give it some heft.

Granted a significant number of tablet users are women and kids with smaller digits compared with a burly coder, it may be that this group of users don't mind the lightness and thinness of the product.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

The reason why the iPad is priced over $200 more is because it is worth more. There are many games that my children love to play, that are simply not yet available in the Windows Store. There probably hasn't been a day that I haven't used Paper or Flipboard. But, I understand Flipboard is coming. 

What is the killer app for a Windows RT tab? One Note? I might be wrong but the 2520 doesn't have a stylus.

If anything, the comparison should be made between the 2520 and the Galaxy Tab. The later is a real piece of junk.

-Lambchop

• User profile image
    Bass

Retina display on the iPad easily makes it worth $200 more IMO.

• User profile image
    Ray7

, fanbaby wrote

Swings and roundabouts. 

Fifteen years ago, Mac forums were full of  fans and geeks  who claimed the Mac was clearly superior, though the sales figures said otherwise.

Today, we have MS forums where Windows fans and geeks  claim the Surface is superior, even though Microsoft has already taken a billion dollar bath on it.

I think what both groups failed to understand is that a 'superior product' is not necessarily the same as a 'right product'.

The problem is that for the vast majority of consumers, the Surface appears to be the wrong product. 

So what's the solution? Well, I can think of two options:

1. Go back to the drawing board and build the 'right' product for the market they're aiming for.
    2. Look at the existing product and find which market it is the 'right' product for.

And they should try to play to their own strengths, not someone else's.

• User profile image
    Bas

Exactly one person here said the surface was better than the iPad Air. One.

• User profile image
    cbae

, Bass wrote

Retina display on the iPad easily makes it worth $200 more IMO.

The difference between 1920 x 1080 and 2048 x 1536 makes the iPad worth $200 more? Never mind that the actual screen real estate on the iPad is only 1024 x 768, since it's DPI scaled to 200%. Personally, I'd rather have native 1920 x 1080 and actually be able to see more on the screen. I saw the display on the Surface 2, and it's very nice. The iPad's display is marginally better, but, again, I'd rather see 1920 x 1080 resolution on a slightly lower PPI display (~260 ppi  vs. ~210 ppi) than have 62% less screen real estate on a higher PPI display.

• User profile image
    cbae

, fanbaby wrote

(The same holds for android fans with similar idiotic claims, and i don't have a single device with a fruit on it)

EDIT: nor do I want to get one Smiley

No, we were basically saying that there's a point of diminishing returns on thinness.

• User profile image
    cbae

, JoshRoss wrote

The reason why the iPad is priced over $200 more is because it is worth more. There are many games that my children love to play, that are simply not yet available in the Windows Store. There probably hasn't been a day that I haven't used Paper or Flipboard. But, I understand Flipboard is coming. 

What is the killer app for a Windows RT tab? One Note? I might be wrong but the 2520 doesn't have a stylus.

If anything, the comparison should be made between the 2520 and the Galaxy Tab. The later is a real piece of junk.

-Lambchop

Oooookay. My $1000 Windows machine is worth more to me than a $3000 garbage can Mac Pro, so should the Windows machine be priced more than $3000?

Hardware is generally priced based on the cost of the components (including pre-installed software) and perceived cost of workmanship period. What you can potentially install on the device doesn't come into play at all. When the Mac had hardly any software support, Apple didn't price their hardware lower than the price of PCs.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.