Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Nokia 920 Windows 8 Phone available today -ATT

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • JohnAskew

I think I'm going to upgrade today.

Anyone have a good hands-on look at this beauty? I do like the sound on my HTC speaker slide-out model, but the camera sucks on it. The camera(s) on the 920 spec as fantastic. I'm wondering how good the sound is with it.

• spivonious

@JohnAskew: The camera looks fantastic, but I'm not ready to shell out $600 for an unlocked model to use with my T-Mobile prepaid SIM.

• kettch

I have to wait until the end of June before I can get an upgrade, but I'm really looking forward to the upgrade. Maybe I'll see if any of the stores have one that I can go fondle.

I like my Titan I, but the camera sucks on it. It works fine for daylight stuff, but low light is terrible. The one scenario that I always seem to have trouble with is when I want to take a picture of a document. That doesn't happen very often, but it needs to work right when I need it. Hopefully the Lumia works half as well as they say it does.

• JohnAskew

, spivonious wrote

@JohnAskew: The camera looks fantastic, but I'm not ready to shell out $600 for an unlocked model to use with my T-Mobile prepaid SIM.

Get the developer's license for an unlock?  $99 last I looked but isn't there a special right now?

• TexasToast

I have the Build Nokia 920 and AT&T is still having trouble with this phone.   The tethering is turned off and multimedia messages do not work.  Internet is ok.    AT&T told me they do not recognize the phone (yet maybe later?) so these features are off.   I am not sure how others are doing with this phone.   Phone is nice, however, and it should do well.   I am seeing if I can do some low level socket apps now.

• JohnAskew

, TexasToast wrote

I have the Build Nokia 920 and AT&T is still having trouble with this phone.   The tethering is turned off and multimedia messages do not work.  Internet is ok.    AT&T told me they do not recognize the phone (yet maybe later?) so these features are off.   I am not sure how others are doing with this phone.   Phone is nice, however, and it should do well.   I am seeing if I can do some low level socket apps now.

Ah crap. No pics in SMS? That's not ready.

-- I'll insist on a store demo

• BitFlipper

I plan to go to an AT&T store today and upgrade my Lumia 900.

However I wonder about the effectiveness of Nokia doing an exclusive with AT&T... I called a few AT&T stores around me on Wednesday to find out whether the charging plate was included for free when picking up at an AT&T store on Friday, (as per AT&T's own press release). The reps I talked to barely knew what a Lumia 920 was, and knew even less about the charging plate deal. I had to direct them to their own press release so that they could have a clue what I was talking about.

If this is the magical exclusive that is going to save Nokia in the US then I have a bad feeling about it.

@TexasToast: Tethering better work on the Lumia 920 when I upgrade. I'm paying $50 for the 5GB data plan because that is the only plan that works with tethering. I'm sure in your case it was just because the phone was not yet officially released on their network.

• JohnAskew

, BitFlipper wrote

I plan to go to an AT&T store today and upgrade my Lumia 900.

However I wonder about the effectiveness of Nokia doing an exclusive with AT&T... I called a few AT&T stores around me on Wednesday to find out whether the charging plate was included for free when picking up at an AT&T store on Friday, (as per AT&T's own press release). The reps I talked to barely knew what a Lumia 920 was, and knew even less about the charging plate deal. I had to direct them to their own press release so that they could have a clue what I was talking about.

If this is the magical exclusive that is going to save Nokia in the US then I have a bad feeling about it.

@TexasToast: Tethering better work on the Lumia 920 when I upgrade. I'm paying $50 for the 5GB data plan because that is the only plan that works with tethering. I'm sure in your case it was just because the phone was not yet officially released on their network.

The charging plate is being touted as included by ATT on their website. I hope there are at least 2 in each store... sub-optimal colors notwithstanding...

Indeed, tethering cannot be disabled on any viable smartphone, not when you've paid for it.

-- a rigorous in store demo

• MasterPi

Got mine preordered over the phone. The person I was virtual chatting with yesterday told me not to bother going to the store to order it because customer care is far more helpful.

• JohnAskew

, MasterPie wrote

Got mine preordered over the phone. The person I was virtual chatting with yesterday told me not to bother going to the store to order it because customer care is far more helpful.

Wait, what? I plan to go to the store to see if I can send pics via SMS, and ask about tethering. What did the 800 number say about these features?

I'm more concerned there will be no phones to demo.

• magicalclick

I pre-ordered on Wednesday online. The site sucked, doesn't work with IE10 intentionally, and with flooded forced iPhone5 advertising, but, I managed to order it online. You have to order the black charge plate itou want it free, not other colors.

900 has loud speaker compare to my HTC Surround, so, 920 should be as good.

Order it from stores? They are going to annoy you by asking why you want to have Windows Phone and more forced advertising by telling you to buy other phones.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • MasterPi

@JohnAskew: Didn't ask about those features - I have a 2GB plan which I don't think comes with tethering. I just simply placed the order. The pricing and promotion stuff wasn't showing up in their system, but the guy tried to override stuff to get it all to match with what's listed online. There's definitely a disconnect within AT&T... it also seems like they had to explicitly tell the warehouse folks about the free charging plate.

• JohnAskew

, magicalclick wrote

I pre-ordered on Wednesday online. The site sucked, doesn't work with IE10 intentionally, and with flooded forced iPhone5 advertising, but, I managed to order it online. You have to order the black charge plate itou want it free, not other colors.

900 has loud speaker compare to my HTC Surround, so, 920 should be as good.

Order it from stores? They are going to annoy you by asking why you want to have Windows Phone and more forced advertising by telling you to buy other phones.

I already have 3 windows phones... But much better is that I'm not the quiet customer who shows patience, I'm the guy on a mission... and I'd jump at the chance to bash iWhatever.

Now my older HTC Surround has much better sound (Dolby Mobile, SRS wow hd) than my kids' newer Samsung Focus. I'm curious if the Nokia 920 is as good and I really doubt it will be -- not just loudness but sound quality.

• kettch

@JohnAskew: Even though I'm not due for a while, I may go into an AT&T store just to mess with the sales people. The last time I went into one of the stores, I had a good time constantly correcting the sales person saying "Windows Mobile".

• BitFlipper

Yea and every time you call AT&T (either directly or one of the local stores) you are forced to sit through their iPhone 5 ad. Super annoying. I wonder what happened to those rumors that AT&T actually wanted to start selling more non-iPhone phones because iPhones cost them more than other phones.

Once again the 6-month Lumia 920 exclusive with AT&T is 6 months too long. Not sure how Nokia figured it was going to be a good idea to cripple sales like that.

• MasterPi

@BitFlipper: There was no such ad when I called. They kept pushing the don't text and drive ads.

• JohnAskew

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411906,00.asp

Also the first-ever Windows Phone 8 with built-in Beats Audio technology, the 8X provides studio-quality sound, boosted by an HTC audio amplifier powering the 3.5mm audio jack.

The HTC will still have far superior sound... hmm.

• magicalclick

@JohnAskew:

I Know, but, I want that awesome low light camera, glove touch screen. The sound quality shouldn't be too much different for me anyway.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.