Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Nokia World 2013 Roundup - 6 new devices

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian2

Best round up I have found:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/10/22/innovation-reinvented-at-nokia-world/

Personally am reserving judgement until I get a hands-on.  There is definitely room in my pocket for a larger / higher spec camera-phone but I guess, 'companion' or not, devs are really the target market for an RT Tablet like the 2520.

Update: Nice round up of the new apps here (finally includes Instragram)

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2013/10/22/instagram-isn-t-the-only-great-app-coming-to-windows-phone-here-s-the-full-list.aspx

• User profile image
    Bas

Three of the six new devices being Asha devices was kind of dissapointing. The tablet looks nice, but way, way too pricey.

I'm also kind of dissapointed that on the Lumia front it was all just about bigger phones. The Lumia 520 is their best selling product, why isn't there a follow-up in the cheap-but-actually-usable-smartphones segment that they're currently on a roll with?

• User profile image
    Massif

$499 for a windows tablet with LTE doesn't seem that pricey to me. It's comparable to 10" android tables with LTE.

• User profile image
    Bas

So what's the average consumer's incentive to buy this instead of those comparable android tablets?

• User profile image
    Ian2

@Bas:Are they going for Mr Average Consumer with this product?  I Would say it is more like a 'foot in the door' aimed (if at all)  at existing 920/1020 customers (ie those customers that they know can afford and might benefit from the 'lose tie-in' between these devices).

• User profile image
    Bas

Alright, what's the incentive for existing 920/1020 customers to buy it over a comparable android device? 

Also, if they're not going after average consumers with this.. then why the hell are they not going after average consumers? 

• User profile image
    Ian2

@Bas:I would say the standardised interface and synchronised cloud usage are the main reasons why you might want both devices.

I think they should (and are) testing the waters before they attempt to go mass market - don't forget this is a version 1.0 product for Nokia.

• User profile image
    Bas

, Ian2 wrote

@Bas:I would say the standardised interface and synchronised cloud usage are the main reasons why you might want both devices.

The synchronised cloud storage is also available on those android tablets. The standardised inteface... does that really outweigh a much larger ecosystem?

I think they should (and are) testing the waters before they attempt to go mass market - don't forget this is a version 1.0 product for Nokia.

They've reportedly been working on this thing for two years and have been in financial trouble for much longer. If they're still in the "testing the waters" phase of mainstream success, then frankly they deserve to fail.

• User profile image
    Massif

The real kicker will be the operators will happily bundle these with Lumia mobile phones. Mr. Average Consumer may not care, but AT&T would much prefer to sell you a bundle from the same manufacturers with the same branding / style etc... throughout.

Having said that, I really love using Windows RT - it really is the laptop your parents / wife / grandparents / kids can't mess up.

• User profile image
    Ian2

The synchronised cloud storage is also available on those android tablets. The standardised inteface... does that really outweigh a much larger ecosystem?

If you want to synchronise Apps and positioning within UI across devices then cross matching Windows and Android is never going to work for you.

They've reportedly been working on this thing for two years and have been in financial trouble for much longer. If they're still in the "testing the waters" phase of mainstream success,then frankly they deserve to fail.

What, they're not allowed to test out a new market before they go big?

• User profile image
    Bas

, Ian2 wrote

*snip*

If you want to synchronise Apps and positioning within UI across devices then cross matching Windows and Android is never going to work for you.

Windows RT and Windows Phone can't do that either.

What, they're not allowed to test out a new market before they go big?

They are. The problem is that they didn't do that two years ago.

• User profile image
    Ian2

@Bas:OK, falling on my sword to avoid flame war ...

• User profile image
    Bas

I see. I guess by asking an honest question I'm starting a flamewar? Good to know!

• User profile image
    MasterPi

, Bas wrote

So what's the average consumer's incentive to buy this instead of those comparable android tablets?

It's Nokia.

But then, for the average consumer who probably doesn't care one way or another...he'll buy the Android tablet, upgrade it because of lag issues, try the iPad, realize the iPad doesn't fulfill most of his needs, return it to try the new Lumia tablets (v.2 by that time) that some of his coworkers have been raving about lately.

• User profile image
    Ian2

@Bas: Au contraire, worried I might be starting one myself! 😅

• User profile image
    cbae

, Bas wrote

Three of the six new devices being Asha devices was kind of dissapointing. The tablet looks nice, but way, way too pricey.

I'm also kind of dissapointed that on the Lumia front it was all just about bigger phones. The Lumia 520 is their best selling product, why isn't there a follow-up in the cheap-but-actually-usable-smartphones segment that they're currently on a roll with?

The margins on the 520 range are so small, they really need to milk it as long as possible before putting out a new model. Besides, the sales of the 520 are still ramping up. Why would they bother refreshing the line right now?

• User profile image
    cbae

, Bas wrote

*snip*

They've reportedly been working on this thing for two years and have been in financial trouble for much longer. If they're still in the "testing the waters" phase of mainstream success, then frankly they deserve to fail.

Well, Nokia's not really in financial trouble any longer.

• User profile image
    cbae

, Bas wrote

There aren't any comparable Android tablets. Like the Surface, the 2520 is being positioned more as a hybrid device. The optional keyboard with additional battery is going to be pushed heavily.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.