Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Outlook 2016 - Still not able to render HTML emails

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

Until Outlook 2003 Microsoft used Internet Explorer to render HTML emails. That changed with the release of Office 2007 where they started to use Word to render HTML emails. Word is the most horrible way to render HTML. It doesn't even implement the most basic styling features like margin or padding.

These days websites need to be responsive so they will show good on all kinds of devices and screens. All these new features are great but Outlook (and now Windows 10 Mail too) is staying behind. More people are reading there mails on mobile devices these days and if Microsoft doesn't want to catch up they are going to lose more users using Outlook.

Countless initiatives have gone up since 2009 where the Office employees promised better support but 8 years after the release of Office 2007, nothing has improved.

Microsoft, It's Time to Address Outlook's Proprietary Email Format (+ Ignorant response please tell us what is wrong with it, we don't understand)

Somebody from the Channel9 team should take a camera, go to the Outlook team and ask them why they are still in this situation.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

@ZippyV: Obviously you are not using Office 365, I have both thick client and use the browser to view documents at work (we don't have an exchange server anymore) we are BYOD so people access their Office documents on any device.

Given the way the world is moving, their focus is on Office 365, and making sure that they win new iOS and Android users. I can think of a few times it would have been nice to have this support, but generally most businesses have found alternatives, and Microsoft's eggs are in developing cross platform. 

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Haven't tried Outlook to be honest. I just use the free Win10 mail app and WP mail. Both are working for me.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    elmer

, ZippyV wrote

Somebody from the Channel9 team should take a camera, go to the Outlook team and ask them why they are still in this situation.

Presumably, because they are still dithering about over what is their rendering technology going forward... the deprecated IE11 engine or the half-baked Edge engine.

• User profile image
    elmer

, vesuvius wrote

Given the way the world is moving, their focus is on Office 365, and making sure that they win new iOS and Android users. I can think of a few times it would have been nice to have this support, but generally most businesses have found alternatives, and Microsoft's eggs are in developing cross platform. 

We use Outlook because we run Exchange, Dynamics-CRM and a 3rd-party SIP PBX, and there are Outlook add-ins that provide tight integration of all three, as well as X-Server functionality.

The PBX is on-prem, and we have data regulatory conditions and internet performance limitations that require the Dynamics data stay on-prem... and because Exchange and Dynamics don't function well in hybrid config (one on-prem the other in-cloud) this means Exchange also has to stay on-prem. So having an Outlook client that rendered HTML properly would be nice.

• User profile image
    CSMR2

I agree that it's a major bug that Outlook doesn't display html email correctly, but what do you suggest as the solution? html needs to be created and edited when you create and reply to emails, and the current Word text editor is very good (both on Windows and on the upcoming Windows 10 mobile). Can there be a solution to this problem without bringing Word's html in line with standard html?

• User profile image
    Retro​Recursion

I agree. I was really hoping that Outlook 2016 would finally resolve some of these issues, but everything seems to be the same, with more cruft. I think it's silly that in 2015 we still have a button right above the message in Outlook that says "If there are problems with how this message is displayed, click here to view it in a web browser" and upon doing so it tries to open IE and many times fails to display the email.

I hope that Javier Soltero will help turn things around. Its a sad thing that an app developer can be bought out and appointed the head of all Outlook engineering in such a short period of time. What was the previous Outlook team doing for the last decade??

http://recode.net/2015/09/22/acompli-founder-javier-soltero-tapped-to-improve-microsoft-outlook/

• User profile image
    GreyLensman

Personally, I am grateful outlook does not properly render HTML.  Imagine how bad our anti-virus/malware/phishing problems would be if it actually worked?  Rendering a subset of HTML is in fact a blessing.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

, elmer wrote

*snip*

Presumably, because they are still dithering about over what is their rendering technology going forward... the deprecated IE11 engine or the half-baked Edge engine.

IE5 did a better job with Outlook 2003 than Outlook 2016.

• User profile image
    Retro​Recursion

, GreyLensman wrote

Personally, I am grateful outlook does not properly render HTML.  Imagine how bad our anti-virus/malware/phishing problems would be if it actually worked?  Rendering a subset of HTML is in fact a blessing.

Avoiding modern rendering techniques does not mean you have greater security. Internet Explorer proves that.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

, CSMR2 wrote

I agree that it's a major bug that Outlook doesn't display html email correctly, but what do you suggest as the solution? html needs to be created and edited when you create and reply to emails, and the current Word text editor is very good (both on Windows and on the upcoming Windows 10 mobile). Can there be a solution to this problem without bringing Word's html in line with standard html?

I didn't have a problem creating emails with Outlook 2003 and even with Windows (Phone) 8 Mail I don't have any problems. I DO have problems when I want to create a rich signature for emails in Outlook. I work for a graphics design agency, we and our customers want to have great looking signatures and newsletters. Since 2007 we are unable to create anything that looks decent. On iOS and Mac OSX Microsoft uses the webkit engine, why would Microsoft not be able to use the IE (Trident) engine on Windows?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

, GreyLensman wrote

Obviously javascript, video and audio should not be supported. I'm not even asking for that.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

, magicalclick wrote

Haven't tried Outlook to be honest. I just use the free Win10 mail app and WP mail. Both are working for me.

I made an Imgur gallery so you can see the differences: http://imgur.com/a/J1r7S

• User profile image
    magicalclick

, ZippyV wrote

*snip*

I made an Imgur gallery so you can see the differences: http://imgur.com/a/J1r7S

Yeah, that looked differently. They should also fix the Word rendering.
    In the meantime, before they fixed it, use table.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

, magicalclick wrote

*snip*

Yeah, that looked differently. They should also fix the Word rendering.
    In the meantime, before they fixed it, use table.

Tables don't work when you want to have a good looking email on desktops, tablets and smartphones.

• User profile image
    kettch
  • User profile image
    elmer

, ZippyV wrote

Tables don't work when you want to have a good looking email on desktops, tablets and smartphones.

Tablets and smartphones... Pfftt... a passing fad... they'll never be popular.

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

Cool, a cop-out. You aren't fooling anyone kettch.

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.