Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Questions about purchasing VS2012

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Kental2

Question for all you folks - the last version of VS I purchased was 2005 before I started moving to a lot of dynamic languages for development.  I've had my eye on getting back into ASP.NET and I am looking to purchase VS, but I'd really hate to shell out $500 for VS 2012 and then VS 2013 comes out a couple months later.  Does Microsoft typically provide an upgrade path for these kinds of scenarios, or am I better off waiting until the end of the year to grab VS 2013?

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Why not Visual Studio 2012 Express Web?

• User profile image
    Kental2

I've been using VS2012 Express Web primarily for a few months, but we're going to be taking some sites live in the next little while and I want a commercial license for that.  In addition, some things I need like ability to use MySQL connector for some clients is going to become more urgent as time goes on.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

The VS Express products can be used commercially, but if you need VS extension support ... yeah, you'll have to go with Pro.

Also, VS 2012 did not have an upgrade price from 2010. Instead, they lowered the price of VS 2012.

• User profile image
    Kental2

, DCMonkey wrote

[sic]

Also, VS 2012 did not have an upgrade price from 2010. Instead, they lowered the price of VS 2012.

Yeah, that's specifically why I was asking.  I'd hate to purchase 2012 in August and then 2013 comes out in October or November or something at the same price point.  I -am- happy in general that they lowered the price for the new and update versions into a single price, but it does make situations like this hairy for me where I don't want to drop $1k in a year to be fully up-to-date Tongue Out  I realize there's nothing saying I have to buy 2013 when it comes out, but I'd like to stay on top of it this time instead of lapsing behind 4 versions again.

• User profile image
    wkempf

If Microsoft is going to continue the rapid release cycle for Windows (expected), and VisualStudio is going to continue releasing in lock-step with these releases (also expected), then Microsoft should address this issue. While MSDN is the preferred route, the cost of MSDN is prohibitive for many smaller or one man shops, while purchasing the latest Visual Studio outright every year only saves you about 50% of the MSDN subscription cost. Probably going to be a whole lot more Express users in the future.

• User profile image
    spivonious

I'd hold off buying Pro for as long as you can. MS is definitely moving to a yearly release schedule for VS. MSDN is nice, but $1200 + $800 per year renewal is pretty steep, especially for someone  doing web development in a one-man shop.

I remember hearing of ways to use add-ins with the VS2010 Express programs...maybe there's a similar way with 2012?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I would suggest you install the 90 day trial of 2012. After that trial expires there might be a newer pre-release version of 2013 or maybe even the final version.

Or install the 2013 preview. You can still use all previous versions of .net and it will probably last until the final version comes out.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

, spivonious wrote

MSDN is nice, but $1200 + $800 per year renewal is pretty steep, especially for someone  doing web development in a one-man shop.

In Europe I have to pay € 1052 for a renewal (that's  $ 1353). The price without VAT is already € 850. I have to work a whole month  every year to pay for that.

• User profile image
    cheong

@wkempf:I think for Professional subsciption, the renew price is only 25% of the new subscriber's price. (It's 50% of the new subscriber's price for 2 years) That's only 1/8 of my monthly salary and quite affordable for individual purchase.

For ISV that just need the development tools and not ISA / MOM, etc. It's better to buy professional subscription then buy MS Office seperately if needed.

Btw, I'd add that WTF MOSS is not included in professional subscription if Microsoft wants to push that technology? Custom-made webparts fits the scenario of freelancer's outsourcing jobs. I asked this 5 years earlier and still cannot come up with reason why. It's right that Microsoft gave us the SharePoint Designer (which is free for everyone) but like any SI solutions, it can't be called "tested" if never been run together with other components on workflow path.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    PopeDai

, ZippyV wrote

I would suggest you install the 90 day trial of 2012. After that trial expires there might be a newer pre-release version of 2013 or maybe even the final version.

Or install the 2013 preview. You can still use all previous versions of .net and it will probably last until the final version comes out.

I'd recommend installing the Preview rather than going with the 90-day trial: the release date of VS2013 hasn't been confirmed yet (and even if I knew, I couldn't tell you) but I would advise against  betting it'll come out within 90 days - because that'd put it in October, and there's still 25% of the year left to go. Whereas I understand the VS2013 Preview won't expire until 2014 (as far as I'm guessing - I haven't actually checked).

Of course, you could install the 90-day trial of VS2012, then if VS2013 hasn't been released yet to install the Preview - but where's the fun in that?

• User profile image
    Proton2

, PopeDai wrote

*snip*

I'd recommend installing the Preview rather than going with the 90-day trial: the release date of VS2013 hasn't been confirmed yet (and even if I knew, I couldn't tell you) but I would advise against  betting it'll come out within 90 days - because that'd put it in October, and there's still 25% of the year left to go. Whereas I understand the VS2013 Preview won't expire until 2014 (as far as I'm guessing - I haven't actually checked).

Of course, you could install the 90-day trial of VS2012, then if VS2013 hasn't been released yet to install the Preview - but where's the fun in that?

After I installed the preview I checked for when it would expire and it was 200 days.

Also, don't tell anyone, but I was able to get a second 90 day trial of VS2012 by installing the premium version after my pro version trial ran out. Wink

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

@Proton2: LOL on the avatar. I never knew PopeDai was on to something fashion-wise.

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    spivonious

With the recent announcement that Windows 8.1 will be RTMed in August, I'd expect VS2013 to follow closely behind.

• User profile image
    Kental2

I'm a little hesitant about sticking the VS 2013 preview on my windows 8 (and primary development) machine, so I think I'll do what you all suggested and grab VS 2013 preview and stick it in my Windows 7 VM.  That should hopefully give me the best of both worlds.  Thanks for your input Smiley

• User profile image
    ZippyV

@Kental2: Just create a vhd file, install 8.1 and vs2013 on it and boot from there. When everything RTM's, delete the VHD.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.