Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Surface Pro - $899

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bass

, wkempf wrote

*snip*

No offense, but you're spouting off ignorantly (you thought the Pro was an Atom device?). The cheapest MacBook Air has exactly the same specs at exactly the same price. "which would arguably have a better feature list" is simply hogwash. Once you step down from your fanboi chair you won't be able to name a single feature the MacBook Air has over the Surface Pro. In contrast, as Bass points out, there are a few features in the Surface that don't exist in the MacBook Air (touch, digitizer/pen input). The price is high because this is a high end device, but it's more than competitive with devices in that range.

But the Surface doesn't have the world's most advanced operating system. MacBook Air wins.

Of course I'm shamelessly writing this on a MacBook Pro running Linux. Big Smile I wonder, does this Microsoft tablet support running Linux?

• User profile image
    Retro​Recursion

, spivonious wrote

Eh? Surface Pro has an i5.

Good catch. You're totally right there. I read elsewhere that it was going to be a Clover Trail chip to help ensure battery life. Turns out that's not the case with the Surface Pro now, although several of the other OEMs are going the Atom route. Estimates for battery life with the i5 processor are a bit low.... in the 6 hour range. The Win8 tablets running Clover Trail have been getting much better battery life, albeit at slower clock speeds.

• User profile image
    Retro​Recursion

, Bass wrote

@Visible = False:

But can you touch the MacBook Air's screen? No, you can not.

True, but on a development machine Visual Studio doesn't like me to touch it anyway. And touch at the command prompt is "bad touch".  Smiley

• User profile image
    MasterPi

, cbae wrote

*snip*

Yours is an HDD rather than SSD, lacks touch capability, and has no digitizer (I'm assuming).

The difference in price would account for a good portion of the difference between the i5 vs i7, the the Blu-ray player, and extra memory.

BTW, I got an ASUS 17" notebook with i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 1920 x 1080 display, and a BD-R for only $1100. You got ripped off. Smiley

But the question was regarding a development capable laptop. Also, ASUS is icky. I bet it had some ugly gloss cheap plastic exterior.

And of course, my laptop came with a keyboard, which for dev related tasks, is far more useful than a touchscreen or a digitizer.

• User profile image
    Ian2

, Visible = False wrote

*snip*

True, but on a development machine Visual Studio doesn't like me to touch it anyway. And touch at the command prompt is "bad touch".  Smiley

@Visible = False:

Yes you don't need/want touch for VS but hit F5 and you probably do.

• User profile image
    MikeInOhio

For some people, the price/feature ratio is too high. For others this is quite a deal. Personally, the digitizer/weight/tablet capability gives the Pro the flexibility to make it worth purchasing when it comes out.

It all comes down to selecting the right tools for your toolbox.

• User profile image
    cbae

, MasterPie wrote

*snip*

But the question was regarding a development capable laptop. Also, ASUS is icky. I bet it had some ugly gloss cheap plastic exterior.

And of course, my laptop came with a keyboard, which for dev related tasks, is far more useful than a touchscreen or a digitizer.

You must have ASUS confused with Acer. This machine is far from icky. Aluminum everywhere but the bottom.

http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N76VZ/

• User profile image
    MasterPi

@cbae: Yeah, you're right. Neat laptop.

• User profile image
    Bass

@cbae:

That's a sweet laptop. I agree Asus makes some of the best laptops at the higher end.

• User profile image
    CaRDiaK

And what's the betting the brits get slapped with an additional $200 or so on top of that...

We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    evildictait​or

, Bass wrote

I wonder, does this Microsoft tablet support running Linux?

Not until someone jailbreaks it. The surface is just an ARM device under the hood, so it should be easy once someone has a full kernel jailbreak for it.

• User profile image
    spivonious

, evildictait​or wrote

*snip*

Not until someone jailbreaks it. The surface is just an ARM device under the hood, so it should be easy once someone has a full kernel jailbreak for it.

But the Surface Pro, which this thread is about, is just an Intel-based ultrabook under the hood, so running Linux on it should be trivial.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

, spivonious wrote

*snip*

But the Surface Pro, which this thread is about, is just an Intel-based ultrabook under the hood, so running Linux on it should be trivial.

On Surface Pro you will be able to, yes. Although you still might need to jailbreak or disable SecureBoot in order to disable the trusted boot into Windows.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.